Gen 1 owners, when you replaced your transmitter's battery # 2016 ..

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I never lock my Gen 1 car. It's only a hassle if you need to reprogram the fob and your doors are locked. The alarm trips and you won't be able to start the car. I rigged up a wire to my fuse box under the driver's dash in case my battery dies or fob dies.

Using the lock is silly since you really can't secure a Gen 1 car

James

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never lock my Gen 1 car. It's only a hassle if you need to reprogram the fob and your doors are locked. The alarm trips and you won't be able to start the car. I rigged up a wire to my fuse box under the driver's dash in case my battery dies or fob dies.

Using the lock is silly since you really can't secure a Gen 1 car

James

I totally agree!
I recently got caught in the "security system loop" because I left my lights on in the garage for several days and ran the battery too low. There was NO starting this car. Had to tow it to the dealership and they re-programmed the security system.
Like#53 said, you can't really secure the car so why bother locking it? I never have the top on and the only two things in the glovebox are a micro-fiber towel and sunglasses.

OP
OP
AAKVIPER

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disconnect my battery time to time when the Viper is not in use..

So when the battery is reconnected I have to hit the unlock key to stop the car lights from flashing..Not sure how this will effect the FAB outcome. As I said, right now I have one FAB with aged batteries (but still works) and a new one with no programing but new batteries. Not sure what to do at this point? :confused:

Arthur

jax92

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I disconnect my battery time to time when the Viper is not in use..

Get yourself a battery tender. Mines been on one for 9 years without any issues.

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Changing batteries on a fob doesn't always lead to reprogramming the fob. Ensure the alarm is not on before changing batteries. I never let the batteries drain, but again, I don't lock the car or set the alarm in my Gen 1

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's weird, when I programmed my new remote I remember using a "green" grounding wire under the steering column, in that post above where the guy scanned a copy of the manual I didn't see anything about that, how can that not be mentioned and for a gen 1 car like mine???????????????????

Oh and btw, I replaced both my batteries in both my old fob and the new one I bought and followed the "green grounding" programming procedure and it worked so I'm confused :dunno:

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've replaced the batteries in mine twice now and never had any trouble with it. Car was definitely unlocked when I changed the batteries but that would certainly have no effect on the alarm in the car; the FOB and alarm module are not, "in constant contact." Maybe if you change the battery in the FOB quickly enough, it remembers the roll code it's on (if these FOBs even use roll codes...)?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
AAKVIPER...as JonB ALWAYS says..."the year MATTERS" !!!

What year is YOUR Gen I ???...since some years are more problematic than others.

Next, I would suggest that you use the reprogramming instructions (IF you truly need to do it) for a Gen I...and NOT the text in your link which is from a Gen III Service Manual.

As mentioned above...be SURE that the contacts in your fob are clean and are indeed making contact with the new battery.

If you are still having trouble, just call me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32