Opinion after 3 months of Viper ownership

brantdw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So its been roughly three months of ownership for me and my 03 convertible and I have formed some honest opinions.

Performance - Nothing compares. When you really push this car it turns into a raging beast. I have owned some crazy cars, but this one takes the cake. Everyone says that this car will surprise you and spin out whenever it wants to, but I disagree. If your tuned in, this car will talk to you and tell you how its doing. The warnings are short and to the point, but they are there. It loves to fishtail, but if you dont let it go on long it comes back into shape. It corners like no body’s business.

Looks - Talk about a show stopper. Everyone wants to know more and take some photos of it. Its truly a Rock Star. I just wish I was. I think my car has more photos of it on Facebook than photos of me. I have taken it to a few car shows and its just something everyone and I mean everyone drools over and wants. Its just a hoot to watch everyone.

Fit n Finish - So. I guess its what you get for a sledge hammer. When I wash it I get a leak on my left ankle. Don’t know where the water is coming from. But im sure there is a hole from the outside. I know, quit washing it. Anyone experience this? The trunk is so heavy that when I go over a speed bump the dinger goes off that the trunk is open. I know, slow down over the bumps. The engine ticks while running. I know, some tick and its normal. The visors **** and they are straight up in my face. I know, take them off and I did. My feet get hot, I know wear some fire retardant shoes. Thank go the AC works. Other that that it seems to be a solid car. Hard driving and definitely not a easy car to drive every day.

Friends - Wow, what can I say. I have meet some of the best people that own Vipers. Yeah, some of them have tons of money and some of them are average Joes like me, but all in all they are not ego driven maniacs and truly some great people. I am honored to hang out with such a small group of great people that understand that the car is just a point of contact for great social exchanges.

Im Happy with my investment. I think that this car is what I wanted at this point in my life. I wanted a special car that is original, not everyone can get and is a great conversation piece. This car has surpassed that. Its an incredible feeling to have a 10 year old boy get into the drivers seat and imagine driving it. No one did that for me when I was a kid. Nothing but smiles. Im sure his dad thinks that I have corrupted the boy.

Im a proud owner of a VIPER!

P.S. Im gonna fix that crappy stereo this winter. Vipers gonna rock next year.

-Brant

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Brant,

You've summed up the Viper experience nicely.....you'll get people who expect the fit and finish of a McLaren SLR, but thats why the Viper costs 1/3 to 1/5 of those prices. You are correct about performance, the envelope is huge with this car and it exposes whether you're an average driver or above-average quickly. Just wait til you get time on a track day in your area to find out what this car will really do with smooth pavement and limited drivers around you.

Each year I write down my to-do list and it usually includes some parts to re-paint, some parts to replace and some things to just re-adjust, but each year you'll get to the point where your Viper is perfect again.

As for crowd control....I've seen guys who've spent a lot of money on their car, just about have a stroke when my Viper gets OMG's here there and everywhere and their car disappears in the lot....just so you know, the 2013 Viper is even better!! I love how the styling is like the car, polarizing....lack of compromise should be part of this car cause it does a few things I want amazing and for a great price. Lastly, the Viper is rare, you'll rarely see another Viper just driving around and although I really like the genuine nature of other owners I've met, its nice to not have a car that 4 other guys in your neighborhood have.

You're gonna LOVE attending a VOI event!

Regards,
Aaron

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned my 03 for about a month and a half and I'll add only this to your review, it's time to start saving up so I can add a GTS to my garage!

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have owned my GTS for about 6 months now. And yep, you took the works out of my mouth. I have had people point out some of those things to me about my car, like the heat in the car, the fit and finish etc, and i just say yep your right. Its not perfict, but for the price and what your getting, power, handling, looks, its all worth it.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jeebs and Leojmcca,

Now that you have warmed to the passion of the Viper, why not get in your membership as both of you are in great areas that have very,very active Clubs. SoCal is a super fun VCA Region and Ontario is home to one of the busiest groups in Canada --- and they love to drive their Vipers everywhere.

You have the sickness and there is no cure, but at least you can hang around with the rest of those afflicted, ha.

Nice writeups from all!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Brant, Come on out to the Sat Oct 1 HPDE Track Date at PIR for another dose of Viper Passion !

You touched one of my favorite rites: Innoculating kids with Viper Passion. I sat and rode in a TR-3 when I was a Cub-Scout. HOOKED on sports cars forever...and my first 3 were TRs ! So when we dose these kids with DODGE (as I have in Dodge Pace Cars since 1991) they actually come back years later and BOUGHT A DODGE....a couple bought a (used) Viper.

My favorite anecdote in 18+ years was a 12-13-yer old blind boy, who took a braille-method virtual tour of my '93 at a 93 cruise-in. Vipers were VERY rare then.

The 93 in 93 setting meant a constant stream of "NO TOUCH" spectators came by, filled with questions. The parents asked questions, and began the "exploration" with THEM describing the Viper to the sightless son. The "Roll Bar" intrigued him, so the touching process began. He was very careful and delicate in his touch....lots of "Whats This" questions. Speaker Grilles, Fog Lites, Clamshell Hood. Inside-only door handles, NO windows.... 5-pt harnesses!!! He felt every line of the car, and especially loved the FAT tires. and SIDEPIPES! I swear it was a Helen Keller movie event......

Specatators built. Some commented about his bare hands all over my detailed Viper... "Its Just a Dodge" I said back then.

Sitting in the drivers seat, sun on his face, he started the car and blipped the throttle a few times. We swapped places, and he went for a ride in front of hundreds of spectators. The organizors moved ropes and cars to allow our premature exit for his test ride. Obligatory burnout, (normally frowned on at a cruise-in) and a return to the lot with an ovation for him as he climbed out and pronounced "WOW....I LOVE VIPERS!" After he hugged his parents, they had tears in their eyes..... When he said thanks, and good bye, he hugged ME. I then had tears in my own eyes.

Share The Passion.......

Last edited:

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had my RT 01 for a month and a half. I must say this car is a beast. The performance and handling is outstanding. I have had three offers to do photo shoots. Getting ready to put some new brake pads on. The factor brand does not cut it

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brant-
Come up to Olympia on the 17th for our last autocross of the year. You will love the fun of tossing the car around in a controlled environment. $50 will do it. Look at the "Washington Region" page for more info.
Oh- ALL you OR folks can come up too!!!

PBR

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB - PartsRack:2998723 said:
Brant, Come on out to the Sat Oct 1 HPDE Track Date at PIR for another dose of Viper Passion !

You touched one of my favorite rites: Innoculating kids with Viper Passion. I sat and rode in a TR-3 when I was a Cub-Scout. HOOKED on sports cars forever...and my first 3 were TRs ! So when we dose these kids with DODGE (as I have in Dodge Pace Cars since 1991) they actually come back years later and BOUGHT A DODGE....a couple bought a (used) Viper.

My favorite anecdote in 18+ years was a 12-13-yer old blind boy, who took a braille-method virtual tour of my '93 at a 93 cruise-in. Vipers were VERY rare then. He felt every line of the car, and especially loved the FAT tires. Some commented about his bare hands all over my detailed Viper... "Its Just a Dodge" I said back then.

Sitting in the drivers seat, sun on his face, he started the car and blipped the throttle a few times. We swapped places, and he went for a ride in front of hundreds of spectators. Obligatory burnout, and a return to the lot with an ovation for him as he climbed out and pronounced "WOW....I LOVE VIPERS!"

Share The Passion.......

That's the best story I've ever read! Awesome!

F

FrgMstr

My favorite anecdote in 18+ years was a 12-13-yer old blind boy, who took a braille-method virtual tour of my '93 at a 93 cruise-in. Vipers were VERY rare then.

Dang dude, you about got me choked up. Wish I could have been there to experience that with you.

MoreBeer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to say, after about 4 months, I drive my 03 to and from work every chance I get. ~27 miles each way, 95% city driving, during rush hour. Some work has been done to keep the cabin cool (hi flow cats and wrapped exhaust), but I really think this is an easy car to drive, and that is coming from an 02 Mustang GT Conv 5sp. I had to drive my Tundra to work the other day to pick up some equipment and I was truly perturbed it was nice out and I was not driving the Viper.

I genuinely love to drive, and I really love to drive this car. I have not had the chance to track it yet, but I am really looking forward to it next season. I will proudly admit the legend of this car has me skittish, and I drive it like a (loud) little old lady on the street. I'm hoping to do a HPD school next year!

-mb

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you Vypr, Frg, Vic, for your compassionate appreciation of what might be seen as a strange story to some. Thanks to Brant for his anecdote of a 10-year old that reminded me. Glad you like the retelling, thanks.

As it unfolded, and spectators coming to see the Viper realized what was going on, the scene got weirdly QUIET. People wanted to hear the boy's questions, and my answers. It was a respectful event, shared by many. After he was done, several other brand car owners offered and/ or took him to feel THEIR cars, [and a couple used polishing diapers on his hands.] But he was quite the VIP that day. His parents wrote me a nice note, too.
-------------------------------

Ask me sometime about my # 2 best-ever emotional event: the Indy Festival Parade in 96.....250,000+ paid their respects with many, many tearful eyes and even sobbing for the Scott Brayton Viper Tribute, a "Missing Man" formation complete with a huge wreath on the BLACK Viper hood for the deceased polesitter....

Last edited:

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned my 03 for about a month and a half and I'll add only this to your review, it's time to start saving up so I can add a GTS to my garage!

I've owned my GTS for about 9 months and I have to say I like the above comment. The car has its quirks (noisy gas pedal), but it's an absolute blast to drive. 4 autox events and counting, plus about 5,000 miles so far this year. As others commented, it's REALLY hard not to drive the car when the weather is nice. Unfortunately, I have a motorcycle... so it has sat in the garage all summer!

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB...that's the exact sort of thing I'd love to do with my (future) Viper. I don't care about the rarity and attention it brings to me. I just love cars, and I love the idea of a car that's special enough that it creates the same excitement in everyone.

Awesome story.

OP, ownership sounds exactly like I imagine it!

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jon for sharing that...those are the type of experiences I'm sure more than a few of us come across just owning this car and I love hearing about them! I bet that young man is still telling people about that day!!

Regards,
Aaron

rvansnick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very well written, I feel alot of the same things after 4 months ownership and about 1500 miles except no leaks and took care of alot of the heat by installing Corsa Cat backs reccomended by some great peeps in here.

Viper4Christ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off, great Viper story Jon. Beyond the car, I view it as someone reaching out to someone with less in this case sight, something we all wake up with every morning yet absent to others. I'm sure he was more then pleased for the whole experienced you provided, hopefully more owners will act in a similar mannor when itas their turn.

Had my RT 01 for a month and a half. I must say this car is a beast. The performance and handling is outstanding. I have had three offers to do photo shoots. Getting ready to put some new brake pads on. The factor brand does not cut it

On that note, if you decided to do rotors then go slotted not cross drilled. They're more prone to cracking in high temps which is frequent on cars like these for obvious reasons, not to mention the better stopping power as well. As for the cabin heat as other expressed the only solution is a high flow exhaust system like Borla or Belanger with high flow cats or no cats. At which will give off a small scent of gas when sitting in traffic but MUCH cooler temps especially when paired up with a 180 degree stat.:scool:

OP
OP
B

brantdw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New update on 3monts of ownership. I decided to run Friday night drags at PIR here in Portland. My friend has a 335i and wanted to do some runs. Well the officials limited me to a 13.5 et since it was a convertable. They said that with no top the frame will twist and compromise the car. Yeah right. So my first run I putted around and got a 13.2. Got talked to about too fast. My friend was consistantly running 13.5. So I just let him win ever time by a wisker. I had to hit the brakes before the end of the quarter every time.

I drive this car harder on the weekends. We still had fun. No more tracking for this car. It not fun just loafing in the quarter mile ranther than stompping on it. I still enjoy the car and I still drive it like I stole it sometimes. I wish I could have toasted that 335i.

-Brant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave