GTS Checklist

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey all,

As a new owner I just thought I would pass along this GTS checklist that I created (and used in my search) in hopes that it could help another future owner. I created it to help me remember some important areas to inspect on the car, and to remember some important distinctions between the years. I based it off the Viper Buyer's Guide and info found on this forum. Hopefully it will help someone out like it helped me. It is a PDF file and I also have it in Word. Feel free to let me know any concerns or corrections as well. Hope it helps!

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• GTS_Checklist.pdf
    48.4 KB · Views: 536

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't have and not looking for a GTS but great list. You have taken time that will same time for others. Thanks for sharing

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all. Great list . Good idea.

I would add: perhaps once you have narrowed the search before you buy and when it is mechanically inspected.

1. "A" arm bushing condition. Looking to see if the rubber is cracking or has it been replaced.
2. Steering bushings (same as above).
3. Engine mounts (In general as these cars age so has the rubber)
4. Window weather strip (the strip breaks free of the mounting to the window frame and it can be lost $)
5. On low mile cars I would check the steering rack

I don't think any of the above are show stoppers for purchase but they do represent items that may need repair or replacement.
Aa such it should proabably figure into the price consideraton of the car.

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very cool idea. I plan on purchasing a gts in the next few months, and I'll probably use this list.... Very cool, thanks!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Can you add the MDH Build Sticker, and Ni-Ka 1 thru 4?

That form should be archived as a forum service to prospective buyers.

Good On Ya Mark !

OP
OP
D

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks, Jon.

Appreciate the feedback and additions. Also, I'll be calling you soon to order some new 18" wheels and tires.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a good list for someone shopping. I would use a scale....1 to 10 for each item.

On the Gen2 Vipers you really need to watch for oil leaks:
-Oil Pan gasket or actual oil pan seepage=Porous aluminum.
-Rear main seal leak
-Front engine cover (could also be antifreeze leak at this location).

Bubbles in the paint are also common around the gas cap area.
Side window seals.
Electric window motors.

I thoroughly inspect the front crankshaft bolt. If it looks like it has been removed, has the car ever been supercharged? (the crank may be pinned).

I would definitely want to look under the Viper using a lift. If possible, take someone that has experience with Vipers.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great list! Nice layout and very easy to use. Couple of suggestions:
1) Consider changing "Tire wear" to "Tire age/wear". Old tires need to be replaced.
2) Underside section could have a "Check shocks for leaks" entry.

Thank you for your time in creating something very useful!

OP
OP
D

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey hey,

Thanks for all the positive feedback and helpful additions/critiques to the checklist. I have created a new version of the checklist, and tried to include even more information that I have gained from forum/your suggestions, and simply from being an owner who has enjoyed working on the car.

Even though I have managed to add SOME info, there is still plenty more that could be added. I just wanted to keep this nice and simple to use, and not become a document comprised of pages and pages of info. I have included this thread's web address to the bottom of the new checklist so that this thread can always be reviewed for the most up to date info. Hopefully this thread can be kept alive by all of us, and can continue to be added to as we help out new owners on their search?

Anyways, thanks again for the help and comments.
Mark

-------------------------------------------
GTS Checklist (version 1.5)
You must be registered for see images attach

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wish this list had been available when I was shopping a couple years ago. I ended up with a page of stuff to check out after going through Maurice's Viper Buyer's Guide and checking stuff on this site and other Viper sites. It was helpful, and the Viper I bought didn't have any surprises awaiting me.

It pays to do your homework. Thank you Mark for making this list!

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great list. It makes me feel pretty damn good about the car I got without the list!!!! I would add though that it would confuse a person who didn't why you would check the lettering on the brake calipers. I would have put check lettering for yellowing or something like that. I also had a video that was with my owners manual. Did that come with a new form Dodge. Thanks again.

Mark

OP
OP
D

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
*******UPDATED CHECKLIST VERSION*********

Added:

1) Vehicle diagrams (page2) to note any exterior damage
2) Additional inspection points
3) As requested, link to join VCA.

Thanks and enjoy

Download below....

Attachments

• GTS_Checklist_V2.pdf
    299.7 KB · Views: 112
V

Venomiss

I wonder who could have requested number three?
Thank you for adding in the link for the VCA.

dclone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot! :)

Hopefully I will be able to get my own today using this...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper