How to find previous owner of a car?

kennewbike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the VIN number for the car I'm buying, and I was hoping to speak with the previous owner of it. I am live in Canada and here we have something called "used vehicle buyers package", which lists all the previous owners of your car once you give them your VIN. This does not apply to any cars outside our Province.

Do any of you know how I could locate the owner if all I have is the cars VIN number?

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) google the VIN... probably won't help but you never know. My VIN has about 6 hits from google. Carfax, Ads etc.

2) google a partial VIN for here. "0xxx site:forums.viperclub.org" My partial VIN will hit on the previous owner who posted the partial here. Not sure how common that is though...

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try going to the DMV in your state (assuming it was titled there), and you may be able to purchase the title history. That's what I did with my Viper...got the VIN, slapped $10 down at the DMV, got the title, and then found the previous owner on linkedIn. Nice guy, great to learn about the car and also found out what the dealer gave him in trade. :) All in all, $10 well spent.

OP
OP
K

kennewbike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
unfortunately I live in Canada, and the past owner was in the US. That elliminates that option for me :(

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
dodge dealers usually have this info in their databases..

Take your VIN# to your Dodge dealer, and ask them to run a > VIP Summary Report on the car.

That should get you the information you are seeking...

jax92

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carfax does not list owner info. All of the privacy legislation has made it almost impossible to do a search.

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i tihnk ill take my viper to the dealership.

my viper was from the states, now in vancouver and it had some mods on it. always wanted to ask the original owner what exhaust and mods are on the car.