Plastic clutch piece (clutch pedal)

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was home on leave in July and had my clutch/master and all that replaced. In the 2 weeks I had to drive it I broke two of these plastic bird cage clips that connect the clutch linkage. Now, am I putting it back on wrong? Do I need to lube the metal the clip slides onto? I replace it by putting the plastic clip onto the rod and sliding the loop over the plastic and it clips on. Only problem is it just broke for the 3rd time my brother is telling me.

What the hell? I was so lucky the first time was in a parking lot and the 2nd time I had a clear turn into a parking lot or I would be sitting in the middle of a busy street.

Let me know what you all recommend, grease or lube of some sort?

RapidTransit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any movement of your brake pedal when the clutch is applied? If there is , it could be the clutch/brake pedal assembly bushings are wearing/worn out. After a while the whole cage assy is toast....been there. Good luck!

OP
OP
Z

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will see if my bro can check that out. Would anyone know if there are any metal clips that can be used to replace this plastic piece of garbage?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any movement of your brake pedal when the clutch is applied? If there is , it could be the clutch/brake pedal assembly bushings are wearing/worn out. After a while the whole cage assy is toast....been there. Good luck!

I broke 2 birdcages 3 years apart. My clutch actuator bushing was shot, but I can't remember if it was replaced before or after the 2nd birdcage broke (I think after). Does your pedal "click" when you push it in? Thats what tipped me off that my bushing was gone. Another possibility is you "favor" the LH side of the clutch pedal, thus putting more pressure on the end where the birdcage is causing it to break more often than normal.

I would buy a couple spares of the birdcages and keep them in your glovebox. I've been lucky like you in that mine broke in safe places each time, but having a spare in the glovebox means nomatter where it breaks, I can replace it and be running again in under 5 mins.

I will see if my bro can check that out. Would anyone know if there are any metal clips that can be used to replace this plastic piece of garbage?

You can drill a hole in the clutch rod and use a cotter pin instead of the birdcage. A GA guy had to do that at the track a couple weekends ago.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine broke several times, I removed the entire pedal assembly, drilled the rod, and cotter pinned it. No problems since. You would need a plastic bushing of the correct size to go where the birdcage is now. Not a fun project at all, but very effective.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine broke several times, I removed the entire pedal assembly, drilled the rod, and cotter pinned it. No problems since. You would need a plastic bushing of the correct size to go where the birdcage is now. Not a fun project at all, but very effective.

If you decide to cotter pin it, the rod does not have to come out of the car. The GA guy I mentioned did it w/everything in the car. So just decide if you wanna stand on your head w/a drill for a few mins or take the time to remove the rod and do it out of the car and save the headstand.

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you decide to cotter pin it, the rod does not have to come out of the car. The GA guy I mentioned did it w/everything in the car. So just decide if you wanna stand on your head w/a drill for a few mins or take the time to remove the rod and do it out of the car and save the headstand.

I didn't have the talent to do a headstand and drill at the same time, guess I better get to practicing! :)

OP
OP
Z

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahha, thanks... I wish I was with my car but I won't see it for another year. :(

I told my brother to look at the part number on the bag and call the dealership and grab some more for the time being. I will see about getting it drilled though!

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am tempted to take mine out and drill it before anything can go wrong. Does anyone have any pics?