Dyno tuned my 06 Coupe

Big Turkey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I decided to put my car on the dyno to eliminate to see what I could get out of a pretty much stock 06 Coupe. I was very curious to see the difference a custom tune would make on the car. Now, I must say I am new to the Vipers but not new to tuning. I do tune Ford and GM cars with SCT software, and that is what I used to tune my Viper.

The car is equipped with K&N Filters and a Magnaflow catback. Here is the dyno sheet comparing the stock tune to a custom dyno tune. I spent hours going through the factory ECU and setting up base parameters, as well as cleaning up the timing map in the midrange, and I still gained a good amount of power and torque from a dyno tune.

Here is an interesting tidbit. I hooked up 2 wideband 02 sensors on the car, the dyno's wideband sensor on the passenger side and my NGK AFX with a brand new sensor on the driver side. I datalogged and recorded all the dyno runs on the car. The Dynojet's wideband read .7-.8 points LEANER than my NGK AFX. Now I do have both factory cats in place and removed the rear 02's to put in the widebands, so they are reading passed 2 cats, which will show leaner regardless. I figured one of the cats is more clogged than the other, but I tuned to the leaner of the two.

Red Graph - SCT Tuned
Blue Graph - Stock Run

Peak gains were 27.3HP and 52ft/lbs of torque!

Midrange was even more of a gain. At 3800RPM, the car picked up 45HP and 75ft/lbs and entirely smoothed out both power and torque curves tremendously.

Air/fuel was showing 12.2-12.5:1 on the dyno, and 11.5-11.7:1 on my datalogs. Either way that is after both cats so the motor itself is still rich. I believe if I leaned it out more I could have picked up another 10-12RWHP. I have long tubes with no cats sitting in my garage that will go on next week so I went ahead and stopped tuning after I figured out the timing curve of the car.

So is a tune worth it on a stock vehicle? Hell yeah!!

*Sorry for the bad picture, the printer was broken at the place I was using the dyno.

You must be registered for see images

CMilViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice gain! I'd be interested to see an update once you've installed the long tubes, and done further tuning..

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up big turkey! I take it that your stock run was with your k&n and the exhaust. Meaning your 27.3 hp gain was strictly the tune alone. Just curious bc I have a 04 with mopar race exhaust and I'd eventually like to get the sct tune.

OP
OP
B

Big Turkey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great write up big turkey! I take it that your stock run was with your k&n and the exhaust. Meaning your 27.3 hp gain was strictly the tune alone. Just curious bc I have a 04 with mopar race exhaust and I'd eventually like to get the sct tune.

Yes that's correct. I drove 20 miles to the dyno, strapped it down, made the baseline (blue graph) pull. Loaded up my custom tune I made the night before and made a pull. That pull showed 455HP, 466TRQ. After cleaning up the timing and AFR a little more I ended up with the final pull (Red graph). Also, I tried to keep cooldown time inbetween runs exactly 10minutes.. just enough time for me to make the changes in SCT and flash it into the vehicle.

I wanted to see the gains from the tune alone, not the overall number. Plus I'm in Texas... it was 96* today and all I had was a small fan to cool the car so nobody is making power in this weather!

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting your results. I got similar improvements on my 06 coupe with an SCT.

Definitely worth the money, time and effort.....:2tu:

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have an '06 coupe and this is inspiring results.

jsarker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are some nice improvements. Good work.

On a related note, you wouldn't by chance, like to do write a tutorial on how to use SCT or share some of the changes you've made? I've tuned a number of cars before, but am new to using the SCT Pro Racer software. Just curious, in the self-serving kind of way. :)

-Jon
'05 Viper

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great numbers man. I used an SCT on my past Gen 3's and loved the results. Wish the SCT was available for the Gen 4's

OP
OP
B

Big Turkey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those are some nice improvements. Good work.

On a related note, you wouldn't by chance, like to do write a tutorial on how to use SCT or share some of the changes you've made? I've tuned a number of cars before, but am new to using the SCT Pro Racer software. Just curious, in the self-serving kind of way. :)

-Jon
'05 Viper

Jon I would love too but it is very extensive and unless you are familiar with tuning and SCT it probably won't make much sense... Plus I do not want to step on any toes for the vendors on here that are very well known for their tuning ability. The reason I tuned my own vehicle is because I am a SCT tuner and have been tuning other cars for years.

If you are new to both tuning and SCT, I HIGHLY recommend you let someone who has experience do the work. I am very experienced with the SCT tuning software so I know how it does it's calculations, what to change and what not to touch. It is very overwhelming to try to absorb without proper training.

With that said, I would more than happy to answer any questions you might have though!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an observation my friend...

440 rwt is by far the lowest I have ever seen on gen 3.

Lowest rwt Ive ever seen on a completely stock vehicle is 470 rwt. normal is 480's Lowest rwhp is 425 normal is 440s.....So 437 rwhp and 440 rwt with the KN filter and catback is extremely low. It has become somewhat of a norm to see the 2006's seriously detuned from the factory compared to the 2003-2005 models.

So while your gain seems quite impressive. A normal gen3 with kn filter and catback would dyno 445 rwhp plus and 480 rwT plus. Makeing a 464 rwhp and 492 rwt after tuneing dyno still worth doing but not as impressive as it would seem

Happy you got a good gain

jsarker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big Turkey: thanks for the offer. As I mentioned, I have tuned other cars previously, whether with piggy-backs or reflashes to the ECU, but I haven't used SCT before. For example, I tune my Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution using EcuFlash (open source software), and have retuned it extensively to run E-85 and a larger turbo.

There was a thread started here that has a good start, but doesn't delve into tuning at all.
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...quot-HOW-TO-quot-Thread!?highlight=sct+tuning

I will have to dig into SCT a bit more, before I can ask more educated questions. Thanks for the offer to help. And sorry to derail your thread. :)

-Jon

OP
OP
B

Big Turkey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Twister thanks for the reply but that does not concern me.

A few reasons. First, every dyno reads differently so the actual number means little to me. Since I am in the business I use the dyno for what it was made for.. A tuning tool :)

Second, I datalogged the pull and going over the log I saw a few factors that led to low torque. IAT were 135*. Which led the car to pull 5 degrees of timing so I was seeing 12-13* in the midrange and only 24.5* peak. the AFR was 9.81-10.0:1 throughout the entire pull. And I am in Texas it's freaking 95* at night. Oh, and I didn't have a dyno fan. LOL

Torque is directly related to timing and on this car timing is reduced dramatically due to heat so considering I still picked up 52 torque under the same conditions is still pretty impressive.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it shocking that SRT engineers would have their halo cars running 10:1 AF ratio after the cat. The thing must be running in the 9 to 1 ratio pre-cat. Something has got to be wrong with the car. Bad fuel regulator??? Clogged filters/cats???? I know all dynos read different, but that is the lowest Viper dyno I have ever seen (including those on Mustang dynos).

Either way, good job on straightening it up :2tu:.

OP
OP
B

Big Turkey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Clogged filters or bad regulator would result in the car leaning out and not richening up. The factory tune has parameters that richening the car up due to to IATs and timing. If the car gets too hot it will reduce timing and add fuel. 

Every factory tune is in the 10:1 because you have to remember not everyone gets 93oct and there will be SOMEONE who will put 87 in there tank and blow the motor and Dodge will want to cover their ass. 

Before the K&N and catback I went out and ran several CAI/header C6Z06's (some that I tuned making 480-490whp) and also a bone stock Z06. I pulled the stock Z by a car and lost to the bolt on Z's by 1.5-2 cars 40-150mph. So judging by that the car is where it should be. Those same Z were running high 11s @ 123-124 in the middle of summer too. 

I just purchased the car 2 weeks ago and it felt slow to me but after running those Z's it is right on target for a bone stock 06. 

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Proof is in the pudding! you ran several different z's and did well. sounds like the car is fine to me

OP
OP
B

Big Turkey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Proof is in the pudding! you ran several different z's and did well. sounds like the car is fine to me

Thanks! I appreciate the concern though.. I would like to get things ironed out before I add the 150 shot. I will go to the track when I get better tires.. man this car just wheel hops everywhere... even when the ground is a little wet outside!

Anyone has any input on getting rid of the wheel hop other than buying new tires?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! I appreciate the concern though.. I would like to get things ironed out before I add the 150 shot. I will go to the track when I get better tires.. man this car just wheel hops everywhere... even when the ground is a little wet outside!

Anyone has any input on getting rid of the wheel hop other than buying new tires?

Add some positive toe-in to the rear. Tires also have a lot to do with the hop on the viper.

OP
OP
B

Big Turkey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Jack.

I added Woodhouse Motor/Trans mounts and that eliminated just about all of my wheel hop. I also installed long tube headers and while I was tuning my wideband sensor took a dump, so I could not finish.

Preminilary results showed the 13.8:1 AFR with the SAME tune as I had before, this time with no cats. I am weary that long tube headers would lean a car out 2 whole points, so I am pointing the finger to the sensor. When I get a new one I will test again. I'll post up dyno results (from the same dyno of course) to see the gain from long tubes.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as your wheel hop. Try running some Toyo R888's. It's a great tire. Also, a True Track or Quafe will do wonders as well.

Tiago

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was going to recommend the woodhouse engine/tranny mounts, but I see you already did that, next is a set of coil overs and tires to get rid of the hop :D

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased the nitto invois from the vpa. Grezt price and free shipping and let me tell you those tires hook like crazy. Havent had any wheel hop with thembut had lots with the stock tires

Tiago

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If he buys my wheels, not only will his car look badass, but he will get a new set of tires with them :)

OP
OP
B

Big Turkey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL Everyone on this site says buy Tiago's wheels and then I'm getting texts saying buy Tony's wheels.. so much to choose from.

Tiago sorry I haven't called you back, I ran across something so there might be a change of plans. I am waiting to get some pricing on a couple hair dryers...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456