running hot, fan not running unles heat or a/c is on

ILLKing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello all, I swapped in a 160 thermostat on my 94 and now it is actually running hotter. I noticed that the fan does not come on unless I turn on the a/c or heat. Then temp hand went a hair pass the small black line right before the red line at 250 and I shut her off. Any ideas Whats going on? Would really appreciate any input and help. A big thanks to Steve for helping me with getting coolant through the system

OP
OP
I

ILLKing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll jump on it. Hopefully thats the issue. Before the change, it was running at 200-205. Maybe I destroyed the sensor? Or didn't get all of the air out?

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the issue popped up immediately after you changed the thermostat, my money would be on an air pocket.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you didnt get all the air out, you wont have a heater at idle,wich if you now have a overheat fault now,thats it, what wdw mkr states

Ginja

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a similar issue on my 97, found that the relay for the fan was toast, A/C overides the relay and causes the fan to run whatever, turn the AC off, no fan... I only noticed when I switched the A/C off a few minutes before arriving home with the fuse removed from my Roe fan control kit - just saw the temperature gauge go mental as I arrived home. New relay, no problems for me, but your issue may be different. The broken relay was noticeably melted on the underside when removed from the fuse box.

Mark