Tire wear on first generation Vipers

Tonym6071

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope you are all well!

I am in the final stages of negotiations on a first generation Viper with 10,000 miles. Qusetion: Is it normal to have 50-60% tires wear with so little mileage?

All tires are Michelin and front/back show same wear. I am also assuming original tires since I did notice some cracking on the 94 Viper.

Also, is it possible that the yellow paint on the 94 is not as bright on newer Vipers????

Thanks again for the help and support!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 1994 tire on a Viper? You are kidding ... Independent on tire wear you should get rid of old (+5 years) tires anyway, especially on the Viper...search for "crash"...

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Qusetion: Is it normal to have 50-60% tires wear with so little mileage
Yes, if you drive the car as it was made to be driven.

All tires are Michelin and front/back show same wear. I am also assuming original tires since I did notice some cracking on the 94 Viper.

If your planning on driving the Viper then forget about the 17yr old rock hard tires on there that could endanger your life. Call Partsrack or ViperPartsOfAmerica for new tires. Both have great prices, selection, and advice:2tu:

Also, is it possible that the yellow paint on the 94 is not as bright on newer Vipers????

Yes, The Gen1 Yellow is Lighter/Paler than the Rich/Bright Gen2 Yellow

Goodluck

V

Venomiss

Does this Viper have records for fluid changes with that mileage?
Something you might want to ask for first.

Use the search here for tires and history. Many threads on this subject to read up on.

Good luck with your search on your dream.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the original tires would be Michelin XGT Z ..... if they are, remove them please :)

Tires for these cars have a max life expectancy of about 20,000 miles ... significantly less if you visit the track or are heavy footed

OP
OP
Tonym6071

Tonym6071

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are the best...thanks again!

Venomiss...that VCA is absolutlely great! I have been searching for a a VCA for six months now!

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a really good place to learn about vipers. Be advised, gen 1 cars are awesome eye-catching machines but they come with a few quirks..... Search around here a bit before you put your money down. I, for one, love the car because of its raw almost unfinished nature but many here might point you to a GTS for it's slightly more refined finish....like windows and a top that seals out water.... and a few more horses under the hood.

As noted above, purchase tires right away if you buy that car.... You'll want to drive it but that rubber MUST go.

Cheers

Canuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll add to the other owners, in advising new tires on the car before you even first drive it. I got a Gen I this summer, and the tires make a world of difference.

Makes a ton of ride improvement (not as rough, bouncy or creaky), and safety goes up dramatically.

Gen I doesn't have much rollbar protection (the thing behind your head isn't a rollbar its a decorative 'sportbar').

Browse through the autopsies at:
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/viper/
to see what things look like when you drive with:
...old tires
...with low tread
...in the rain
...going too fast for conditions
...and jam the pedal when its not pointed straight ahead.

OP
OP
Tonym6071

Tonym6071

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again for the great info! On the Gen 1 cars...first time I drove this vehicle it reminded me very much of the Cobra replica I just sold. I must admit the Viper is twice the vehicle...A/C, leather interior, serious engine, some form of a top, etc.

Would you recommend the PS2's as my best tire option?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper