Air filter with foam/songe in front

Rayvick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Air filter with foam/sponge in front

Hi Guys! I bought 2 years ago a 96 Viper GTS. I wanted to change the air filters on it and notice the air filter has a sponge that is glued on it. Is this necessary? Can I buy just two K&N filters without the sponge?

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there Ray, Welcome to the VCA Forums. Update your profile by clicking on "MyProfile" or your username in the top left corner of the webpage then click on "About me"
add your location and it will show up under your name
Ya never know, you might have a knowlegable Viper owner nearby that would be able to look the car over for you.

Are you talking about the small sponge(filter) in the corner at the entrance of the PCV breather hose. Or are you saying that there is a sponge glued into the airbox that covers the entire two filter areas (like 4"x8" or whatever)???

OP
OP
R

Rayvick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! Did not have a chance to work on my profile yet. Will do it tonight!

Everything is original on my Viper, and it's in the airbox with the 2 rectangle (seperate) air filters. The black sponge is glued directly to the paper air filters that you would buy in a store. Was this to prevent water from touching the air filters? Don't know!

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. I have never seen the original stock filters. Someonelse should chime in though.

This is what the current OEM Filter looks ike if you were to pick up from dealer:

You must be registered for see images

(pic courtesy of ViperPartsofAmerica.com)

The K&N replaces the entire old filter so i would just yank what you've got.:2tu:

Also, be sure to replace your black corrugated inlet tubes with smoothtubes. These precut or formed pieces can be purchased from RoeRacing, PartsRack, ect...
Or you can by the proper size silicone hose from your local tuner shop and cut yourself

OP
OP
R

Rayvick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Roy, I really wanted to know if it was necessary to have the sponge in front of the air filter. It seems that nobody has it, so I'm happy not buying the foam.

How do you insert a picture of your Viper in your profile ?

JustinB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is this what your talking about?
You must be registered for see images

I have seen it in other threads before. From what I know you do not need the foam, just replace then with the K&N and call it a day.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think that was the original filter that came with the cars.

Foam was a bit of overkill, and most replaced them with K&N drop in filters and changed OEM intake tubes with smooth tubes. Instant 10 hp on dyno.

Might be worth keeping in a box somewhere incase a collector wants to put on for display or concourse.