worth reporting to insurance?

*fill-up*

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was filling up gas a couple minutes ago, and then I noticed my rear bumper, I thought it was a little mud, but no there were 3 or so scratches on it through the paint. After looking a little deeper I noticed some on my side sill also. It is nothing major but I definitely did not rub into anything and they weren't there yesterday so the only place that could have happened was at my College this morning with the stupid parallel parking because I spent the rest of the day on my Harley.

Long story short, I have geico full coverage with a $150 deductible, but is it worth reporting? I have a very low priced policy because of my record and don't want it to sky rocket, also if I do a police report it will go under the vin which will devalue my car a bit, but then again if I don't fix it my value will go lower too.

Any advice is appreciated, pics posted below.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would first try to clean it up a bit with some rubbing compound to see if the scratches go away enought for you not to worry about. (Finish up with a coat of wax).

Getting it repainted will also not be perfect, so maybe see if the scratches can be cleaned up enough.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rub it out and leave it be, with that terrible looking hood, no one will see it:mad::D

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the only place that could have happened was at my College this morning with the stupid parallel parking
OMG!!! You leave your car unattended in a college parking lot!!! What you have just experienced is why many of us would NEVER do that.

A full Viper paint job is about 6k or more. I would report it.

Slug

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope. Use insurance for real financial hardship. The'll get it back and then some with higher premiums.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And doesn't that usually trigger a CarFax report?
Which you then have to explain to any possible buyer down the road...

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Would first try to clean it up a bit with some rubbing compound to see if the scratches go away enought for you not to worry about. (Finish up with a coat of wax).

Getting it repainted will also not be perfect, so maybe see if the scratches can be cleaned up enough.

What He said...... Paul has been around the block a few times.....

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ViperJon said exactly what I was thinking ---bingo you have a ding on Carfax or Autocheck and that will cost you way more than a paint job on the rear fascia would.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you still have it for sale, do what the guys suggest here-buff/wax.

New owner might just be ok with that, let them decide if it warrants a repaint.

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you still have it for sale, do what the guys suggest here-buff/wax.

New owner might just be ok with that, let them decide if it warrants a repaint.

Agreed! But being that it's only worth $30k mint, being all smashed up you'll probably have to sell it for $25k! ;) :rolaugh:

:poke:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agree. You might be surprised what can easily be fixed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R