No substantial gain from just exhaust, but what about with headers and hi flow cats?

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep reading no gains with just cat back exhaust, but what if the car already has headers and high flow cats? will adding an exhaust increase power then?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: No substantial gain from just exhaust, but what about with headers and hi flow ca

not enough to talk about

OP
OP
D

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: No substantial gain from just exhaust, but what about with headers and hi flow ca

So to get the 50 horsepower claimed by belanger with their header back system, you can just do the header and hi flow cats? Belanger claims like 28 horsepower for the exhaust. If no power comes from the exhaust, does that mean all 50 horsepower is coming from the headers and cats? About 25 horsepower each?

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

.... what if the car already has headers and high flow cats?....

are you sure someone went to the trouble and expense of headers and hiflows and left the stock cat back :eater:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

btw, from stock, the best bang for the buck is hiflows and muffler (not resonator) del

OP
OP
D

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My question is more for planning my upgrades and whether I do cat back exhaust at all or if I just stick to headers and hi flows

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ok

like JonB says: year matters

generally speaking, from stock (gen2 and on i think) headers as a 1st or early mod are expensive per hp gain. if you want a certain sound, then by all means,do.

but sounds like you want best bang for the buck, and headers and full exhaust aren't it, unless your ultimate mods include something that requires aftermarket headers.

so, what year :eater:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My question is more for planning my upgrades and whether I do cat back exhaust at all or if I just stick to headers and hi flows

oh and i think you are not dividing the exhaust upgrade options correctly, you have other (better :dunno: ) combinations of exhaust component upgrades....

OP
OP
D

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score

oh and i think you are not dividing the exhaust upgrade options correctly, you have other (better :dunno: ) combinations of exhaust component upgrades....

I should have been more clear. I have a 1999 GTS. i am new to the viper community as you could probably tell. but the claims made by belanger seem to make full exhaust sound like bang for the buck.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

All Year Vipers (thanks Euch!) will benefit from Hi-flow exhaust mods vs OE. Why? The feds rob HP in a quest for sound levels and emissions controls. Those mods can be 3 stages: Headers / Cats / Cat-back. The Year Matters for HP GAINED.

Belangers full system have proven to yield +50HP on 96.5-98, and on Gen 3-4. but NOT on 99-02....more like +35-40 HP.

But like Euch already stated: Would someone really install Headers and Cats w/ an OE rear exhaust? Not likley....

JonB~~~:<~

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Full headers and exhaust on a forged Gen2 will likely net around 35 hp. The 96 GTS with TNT/HMS big tubes and sewer pipe exhausts were occasionally making 40+.

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score

It also depends on whether it's a GEN1 or 2. Sean Roe promised 28 RWHP with his catback which included high flow cats. I saw 40 RWHP with no tune, from 365 to 405 RWHP on my 94'. The GEN1's had a very restrictive pair of cats.

OP
OP
D

dyc1077

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The reason I asked is to see which to do first. It seemed like the headers individually add power as do the high flows. Was going to hear that the cat back will as power once those two are done but not before. then I can justify to myself buying a cat back now as it will eventually add power once I do the other two.