Bottom facia scratched to hell, worth re-painting?

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 94 is gorgeous except if you get down on your knees and look under the bottom of the front facia, it is shredded (this was done by the original owner with less then 6K miles). I also have scraped it once or twice pulling into a gas station when I first got it. I'd like to get it painted but is that just a waste? This all came up b/c as I was parking it on my new lift today in a different position I scrapped the facia "again" b/c I thought I had more clearance then I did, and as I was looking at the new scratches I thought why not get it all painted. Guess I'm wondering if it is just a waste with cars that are this low. Since they are on the bottom you don't see them unless you are on your knees looking under there, but I "know" they are there and it is bugging the $hit out of me lol.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
paint it and put on a few layers of clear bra under there-thats what i did, but i never scrape-did it just in case

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im in the same boat with mine and was thingking the same thing as you. It bugs me but they are not seen by most people. Most people , non owners, when looking at the car are looking at the whole car and no inspecting it (like i do with my own car). But i think it would bug me more if a spent the $$$ to paint it, then still ended up scratching it up. :dunno:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
google it in your area-- google 3m clear bra installers----- or ventureshield most installers will come to your house or work also

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL ! How are your frame rails and the bottom of your side sill covers?

Hey, if you want to have a show car that will pass the mirror inspection, go for it ! It's your new toy !

I find that now that I have scratches and rock chips, it is really liberating.

Just remember, 3 weeks after you paint it, you will scratch it again.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Im in the same boat with mine and was thingking the same thing as you. It bugs me but they are not seen by most people. Most people , non owners, when looking at the car are looking at the whole car and no inspecting it (like i do with my own car). But i think it would bug me more if a spent the $$$ to paint it, then still ended up scratching it up. :dunno:

Exactly, worried about the same thing as you.

google it in your area-- google 3m clear bra installers----- or ventureshield most installers will come to your house or work also

Will do thanks!

LOL ! How are your frame rails and the bottom of your side sill covers?

Hey, if you want to have a show car that will pass the mirror inspection, go for it ! It's your new toy !

I see your point, and that is what I'm worried about, maybe you just can't keep this thing from being scraped :dunno:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dont bother...nobody gets down on their hands and knees to look at your car and ten minutes after you pay 350-400 to have it fixed, its gonna happen again. id be willing to bet there isnt a viper on the street that doesn't have that scratched up

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first scratch hurts the worst. If you intend on driving the car, more will happen. I wouldn't (and didn't) waste any money repainting mine. Clear bra won't save it, either.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This. I have scratches under my front fascia and under my side sills. Oh what will I do?!? Nothing. I drive my Viper. It happens. Do what makes YOU happy. If you're a perfectionist then get it painted and repainted frequently, perhaps annually. Otherwise, don't sweat it and enjoy driving your Viper.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that is what I was thinking guess I'll wait until the top portion needs it bc it seems like I really would just be throwing the money away

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand why someone with any familiarity with the car would scrape the fascia more than once.
Once yes. Again and again....umm...slow learner...?

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand why someone with any familiarity with the car would scrape the fascia more than once.

What a moronic statement. I scrape a wee bit both at the driveway at home and the parking lot entry at the office. Short of attempting to alter gravity or maybe purchasing my own road construction company, the only relationship with learning is the fact that I have learned I will scrape there every time I go in and out and there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome back, dork.
There's a difference between brushing the fascia angle that hangs down vertically with about 3" clearance and scraping the fascia itself from parking curbs etc.
Do you really think he was talking about slightly scraping and repairing that little edge?
Pretty sure he was talking about the latter. Deep digs in that area.

Do you continually hit parking curbs making deep scrapes in your fascia?

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At least one site vendor sells a "scrape" guard. It's a couple of flat metal bars that attach under your car to protect it from just this thing. Might be worth looking for.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
@ VJ... Welcome back? From where? I've been somewhere?

As you continue to make moronic posts, I've read the OP several times now and see no where that he claims a particular area or part of the fascia. So, unlike you, I'm not willing to assume that it's the general underside versus the lower protruding chin spoiler or in my case the splitter. Actually, in my case I drag on both the splitter and the chin spoiler. All on driveway approaches. No curbs or parking barriers -->> *Fast learner*

Are you aware that lip is called the chin spoiler and not a fascia angle?

Signed, Dave the dork :lmao:

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yeah I have to agree with Dave on this one, that is a pretty short sighted statement honestly. Unless you drive the same route everytime you drive your car (which you may) I don't see how you could make a statement like that, seems to me the slow learner would be a person that makes this assumption, just saying. Plus if you read my post you would read that I have only scraped it once when I first got it until yesterday when, *newsflash* I was doing something unfamiliar, but I guess you are one of the perfect people that never ever make a mistake in your life lol.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you own a garage queen and never drive the car, paint it. I drive mine quite often and I understand that is a part of life and just accept it. It makes driving so much more enjoyayable when you don't worry so much.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
driveing around with a butchered up anything on a car would not work with me, small user scuffs,maybe- big scrape marks and scratches, i would not even drive the piece of ****

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna wait until it gets all scratched and chipped, and then I will paint it a new color. Gives me something to look forward to and along the way I don't get all worried about another sratch... It is very liberating...

Like my dad always said: "I buy pre-scratched used cars so I don't have to worry about it getting scratched." Very wise man, my dad.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you own a garage queen and never drive the car, paint it. I drive mine quite often and I understand that is a part of life and just accept it. It makes driving so much more enjoyayable when you don't worry so much.

This is a good way to be :)

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car is lowered and is scraped to **** and no one has ever said a thing about that area. Dont worry about it. :nono:

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're out driving and enjoying your Viper and while stopped someone feels the need to inspect/scruntinize the underside .... I'd look at it as a good opportunity to kick them in the a$$ :D

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All part of the Viper Ownership Experience.

"Scrapes happen"

Maybe just hit it with a matching rattle can of paint or touch up when it gets to bad. It is not normally noticable.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's scratches and then there are scratches....

untitled2.jpg

If it's good for our Fluid and Lubes geek, Tom, then it's good for us. :D

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member