Tranny and Diff Fluid Transfer Pump & Plug(s) Question

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Knee deep in my tranny and diff fluid change and one thing that didn't cross my mind was putting the fluid back in the tranny as well. I need a transfer pump for that and only have the 1 that I drained my diff fluid with. My question is do you guys fill with the same pump by just trying to clean it by running new fluid through it first or do you actually use a different pump for each (what I am leaning towards). I searched but couldn't find any information on that particular question.

Also when it comes to the putting the plugs back in on both the diff and the tranny, do you use any sealer, or locktite or anything? There is definitely something on both the tranny plugs and the diff plug, it looks like orange gasket material so thought I'd ask. Thanks for any help! :drive:

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the liquid teflon to put on the plugs. Regular will work but the liquid is easier.

The local parts store has a manual pump on the diff fluid they carry. I empty the contents of the $5 fluid and pump and use it for the trans. The diff fluid I usually just pour it in. Depends on fluid you have because the Motul comes with a nozzle of sorts. For an open nozzle the previously mentioned fluid pump works well and is cheap.

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys, I have the teflon tape in my compressed air tool drawer. I just was concerned about any residual gear oil inside the pump (albeit very minimal) contaminating the tranny oil and was unsure if that was a big no no or not, sounds like it is ok to use the pump for both although with the pump being 7 bucks at HF might be worth buying just for warm and fuzzies :dunno:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave