Mopar Track Day 2012@NJMP March

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Track Day 2012

Thanks, I'll be joining this event! (Thanks Dom for the PM)

PS. Where are the pic's of the Snakes/Planes??????

OP
OP
R

Randomaccess

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The date they are targeting is 3/30/2012. Join the group above if you would like to participate... and if you happen to have a face book fobia... just send an email to this address: [email protected]

OP
OP
R

Randomaccess

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would like to participate but have never done a track day, is this open to novices?

This would be my first as well. They'll have instructors that ride along with first timers like us. You will need a helmet though.

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can count me in...I'm a new member to the group and a novice also..can't wait to give it a try...Let me know when you have an exact date. Curious..This would be my first time attending an event like this; so what are the rules..and what kind of safety equipment am I expected to bring?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Randomaccess

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It would be best to join the Facebook group above, or send an email to the following address and be asked to be added tot he mailing list...

2012modernmopartrackday at gmail dot com

include this info:

1. Full name
2. Email address
3. Forum you frequent ( if you do )
4. Car you'll be using
5. Track experience

Passing on info last emailed from the coordinator.

1. Helmet - To drive on the track a driver or passenger must have a SA2005 rated (or higher) open or closed face style helmet. No motorcycle (M rated), cart or dirt bike helmets will be allowed. If you show up with a helmet that is not SA2005 rated or higher you will not be allowed to participate on the track. A nice place to look for one is on Ebay. Put SA2005 in a Ebay search and lots of helmets will come up. I seen a few used for $50 and brand new starting at $125. If anyone is interested in a group buy for helmets please reply. 10+ helmets should get use a nice discounted price through a vendor. Please reply to this email if interested.

2. Passengers – Having passengers are allowed. The passenger must be 18 years or older. Passengers will only be allowed with intermediate 2(group 3) or advanced drivers(group 4). The same helmet rules apply for the passenger. If anyone has questions to what group they will be in please ask. I’ll be reaching out the groups individually via email as we get closer to the track day to explain how the event will run for their group.

3. Multiple Cars/Drivers - Some of you have asked if they can have multiple drivers and/or multiple cars at this event. The answer is YES and YES. However, there is a differences. The charge is $250 PER CAR/PER GROUP! What that means is you will pay $250 and your car will get 4 sessions on track in whatever group you have been assigned to. You can have as many drivers in that one car as you want. The car will run in only one group so the drivers will need to have similar track experience to pull this off. Another scenario is you have one car want to run it in multiple groups. In this case you’ll need to pay $250 PER GROUP. For example, if you have your car in group 3 and group 4 it will cost you $500. This will get you 8 sessions on the track versus 4. Another scenario If you want to have multiple cars. In this case it will cost you $250 PER CAR. For example, if you have one car in group 2 and the other car in group 3 it will cost you $500. If anyone has questions with this please ask away.

4. Convertibles – In order for a soft top convertible to be allowed on track it must have a roll bar(factory or aftermarket) that when the driver is sitting in the car the bar is higher than the top of his helmet. There is no if ands or buts about this. It’s the track rule.

5. Brake pads - I recommend a minimum of a high performance street pad. For example, EBC Red Stuff, Hawk HPS, Stoptech street performance pads, etc. Please make sure you have at least 75% left in the pads. Running on the course will wear away pads at a much faster rate. If anyone needs assistance with pad choice please ask.

6. Brake fluid - If your brake fluid has been in the car for 2 years or more I recommend changing( flushing) it before the track day. A mushy pedal on the track can be quite scary and having old brake fluid in the system won’t help the issue. I recommend at least DOT4 approved fluid. A very good low price fluid is ATE Super Blue or ATE TYP 200. Both are exactly same just a different color. You can get it on Tire Rack for $20 per liter shipped.

7. Tires- All-Season tires are the minimum to use on track. Make sure your tires are in good shape and have more than the minimum thread required by the DOT. Also raise your tires 5 psi over factory requirement for the track day.

8. Car Fluids - Motor oil, Antifreeze, power steering and transmission fluid please make sure all are topped off and in good shape. I recommend bringing extra motor oil, power steering and brake fluid just in case you run burn off either throughout the day.

9. Windows- For you new guys to road racing when on track any seat that’s occupied must have the window next to it all the way open, rain or shine. For example, if you are the only person in the car the driver’s side window must be all the way open.

10. Bolts – Before that track day please checking all your bolts (chassis, wheels, etc) to make sure they are tighten to spec.

11. Seatbelts - Your car must have seatbelts, factory or aftermarket. Factory seatbelts never expire but aftermarket versions do. If you have aftermarket seatbelts please confirm they have not expired.

12. Instructors - If you have 2 track days or less under your belt you will be in group 1(beginners). You must have a instructor in the car with you while on track unless the instructor gives you the ok(sign off) to drive by yourself. Each beginner will be assigned a instructor for the day. Each instructor will have years of experience and are racers as well. For group 2 instructors will be optional but recommend.

13. Passing - Passing will be allowed in all groups with a point-by. Different passing rules will be applied to different groups. Passing zones and other track rules will be explained the day of the event by the head instructor and track officials during the morning meeting. Don’t worry if you don’t know what a point-by is.

14. Fuel – NJMP has fuel available on the facility, 93, 100, 110 and 116 octane. The price per gallon is a lot( I mean a lot!) more than at a normal gas station. I recommend getting two 5 gallon gas jugs from a parts store(ex. Autozone) and bring it filled with your choice of fuel. Also the morning of make sure you have a full tank before getting to the track.

15. Video Recording – This is ok from in or on the car as long as it’s firmly mounted (strong suction cups, bolted on, etc.). I personally use GoPro( www.gopro.com) but they are other’s just as good or better.

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanx for the info: Randomaccess....But I have another question; I have a 2004 SRT-10 Soft Top Convertible; after reading your post, I inspected the roll bars on my vehicle and they seem to be within the safety guidelines of the track...Just wondering if I could get an official answer on whether my vehicle will be allowed on the track....

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Are you running the chicanes turnes 3, 4, 5? When is the deadline to sign up? I will have to wait until it gets a little closer to ensure I can get off work that Friday, hopefully I can still register :drive:

OP
OP
R

Randomaccess

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanx for the info: Randomaccess....But I have another question; I have a 2004 SRT-10 Soft Top Convertible; after reading your post, I inspected the roll bars on my vehicle and they seem to be within the safety guidelines of the track...Just wondering if I could get an official answer on whether my vehicle will be allowed on the track....

I also have a 2004 vert. They said that "factory roll bar is adequate as long as it is above the helmet."

OP
OP
R

Randomaccess

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are you running the chicanes turnes 3, 4, 5? When is the deadline to sign up? I will have to wait until it gets a little closer to ensure I can get off work that Friday, hopefully I can still register :drive:

My understanding is that they are running the full thunderbolt course.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I also have a 2004 vert. They said that "factory roll bar is adequate as long as it is above the helmet."
Hey Jog and Random,
every time I've had the convertible out on track the roll bars have been a non-issue as long as you go with the roof closed. If you want to go with the roof open then you need to have a clear flat line from the top of the windshield to the top of the roll bar without your helmet in the way.

OP
OP
R

Randomaccess

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are still some Advanced spots available if anyone is still interested.

OP
OP
R

Randomaccess

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a great event. I would post up some pix but the wife had the camera... so really nothing worth posting :( Hopefully Dom has some good shots!