Racing in GTS built from streetcar...far away from US

onemile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Friends of mine have posted nice writeup with lots of pictures, how '96 GTS was rebuilt for endurance racing and how they managed to complete its first race, 1000 km endurance event in Lithuania.

http://www.sportauto.ee/events/110723palanga1000/index.html

As you can guess, not many people there know what the Viper is. I think they managed to make good introduction, despite having some problems.

3 months to complete such extensive build in small garage means schedule was extremely tight, therefore engine and driveline were left like it was in donor car, hoping its reliable enough. Unfortunately this wasnt the case. The plan is to be back in next year with improved mechanicals and aim for overall victory.:drive:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW....... :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

What a brilliant story, fantastic photos and write up, you should ALL be very proud :1up:

Thanks for posting this up, really good to see the car build come together :)
As for that campsite :omg:

Mark
:uk:

-nighthawk-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spent the last 45 minutes looking through the pictures and reading.

Awesome work! Was entertained the whole way through. It's amazing how much you stript the Viper out, it gives me a new look on the car seeing it in it's very basic stage :p

OP
OP
O

onemile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think stripping the car was neccessity, as it started out like this. Modifications in addition what you can see from pictures, include re-design of the suspension geometry. Attatchement points were modified and coilovers custom made for this car. Electronics were upgraded with programmable engine management, data aquisition system, Bosch Motorsport ABS and traction control.

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for the great photos and for putting together the sequence of events. In one of the shots of the shop there is another 96 on the rack, do you have back up cars or is that one for the street?

OP
OP
O

onemile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its team owners everyday car, he probably loaned some spares for the race.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very awesome racing, story, photography, and experience. Interesting to see the Porsche brakes on that GTS. The "off road" passing was funny and dangerous at the same time. Thanks for sharing. :2tu:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets