Thread: 93 RT/10 Owner from Dubai

Reply to Thread
    Enthusiast

Default 93 RT/10 Owner from Dubai

I recently made a childhood dream come true, I bought the car that made me love cars. A 93 Viper RT/10. Here in Dubai the viper is a rare thing. In my 23 years of life, I've seen only 2 and 1 of them is currently mine. New Vipers can be seen from time to time but the GenI and GenII are very rare indeed.

Anyways, back to the car. Its not in the greatest conditions but I just had to buy it and seeing that I own a performance shop it was really a no brainer. I will fix it up little by little. Current issues are: The previous owner did some work in the interior and it is very tasteless in my opinion so I'm gonna change it. He painted the dash glossy black and the trim around the gauges is red. The leather is black and red but the seat are a different shade of red so it has to go. The car needs some detailing to get it to what I would like but that is the fun part. Mechanically the car is okay. Engine and trans are fine but the diff was making some noise, I opened it up and the pinion had small cracks, it will be changed.

I already talked to JonB, he has everything I need but nothing got shipped out yet. Excellent guy, wonderful customer service and extremely helpful. I will start building my baby up till it looks like new or new-ish.

I've been reading on the forum, learned a lot. Its an excellent source of info for any viper owner.

From half a world away, Im glad to be part of this community. Just one thing sucks. I cannot attend viper events and here in Dubai if I go to a cruise I would most probably be the only viper...

Here are some cell phone pix.
    IMG00174-20111030-1813.jpgIMG01330-20110921-1154.jpgIMG-20110615-00161.jpgIMG-20110615-00162.jpg

It a long post I know, but I cannot contain my excitement.

Enthusiast

Default Re: 93 RT/10 Owner from Dubai

Congrats. Looks like some work ahead. The wheels are 99-02.

Viper Owner

Congratulations!!!! Keep us posted on your progress.

Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

I'll be updating this thread when the time comes.

Venomiss

Welcome!
    We hope you will consider joining the Viper Club of America with your brand new ride.

You can join up with whatever VCA region is closest or wherever you might choose. The Illinois region includes many overseas owners who are VCA members.

Viper Magazine is also included with a year of VCA membership.
    If you are looking for any past Viper Magazine issues find them directly here.
    http://www.vipermagazine.com/past-issues/

The price to join as a new member covers the rest of 2011 and all of 2012 and let's you enter any future Viper raffles as a VCA member.

Viper Owner

06.07.2011 231.jpgI have a black '95, for my dash I painted it a black satin. It looks like it came from the factory that color, it looks really good. I looked at glossy black dash pics, and they didn't look good at all. I've seen a red dash, on a red car, I didn't like it but u might. My seats are the factory grey. fyi. I'll try to upload a pic of my dash.

good luck, and keep uploading pics of ur progress!! thx!
    Last edited by aviatorone; 11-03-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Viper Owner

Congratulations on making your dream come true! These cars are a lot of fun, and it sounds like you've a good handle on what to do.

I like it with the Gen II wheels. Plus they are stronger than the Gen I wheels, so you're good there.

Just curious, what does gasoline cost in Dubai?

Viper Owner

The front plate is hideous over there, do you get fined for not using it or is it a "permanent" type of plate?

Viper Owner

Good luck with your new car and be careful. The drivers there are extremely wild but you know that.

Viper Owner

Hi 7amood5041

I used to live in Dubai for 1.5 years (bur dubai) up until a Jan 2010. I saw a few vipers there, then snapped this pic of a gen2 GTS at a club over there one of the times I was out (the name of the place was Chi at the lodge in the Oud Mehta district). Looked clean. I've seen another red one and a red gen 3 hauling ass down the road too.

IMG_0076.jpgIMG_0077.jpg

Viper Owner

Have all vipers been left hand steering?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by aviatorone View Post
    Attachment 17113I have a black '95, for my dash I painted it a black satin. It looks like it came from the factory that color, it looks really good. I looked at glossy black dash pics, and they didn't look good at all. I've seen a red dash, on a red car, I didn't like it but u might. My seats are the factory grey. fyi. I'll try to upload a pic of my dash.

good luck, and keep uploading pics of ur progress!! thx!
    Well, the plan is to stay with the glossy black, but paint the bezels to match in order to lose the tachy look. I'm going to replace most of the red leather with black but I'm gonna add red stitching. Also the middle of the seat would be red. But this will need time, I'm gonna finish the essentials first then deal with the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by CEJ View Post
    Congratulations on making your dream come true! These cars are a lot of fun, and it sounds like you've a good handle on what to do.

I like it with the Gen II wheels. Plus they are stronger than the Gen I wheels, so you're good there.

Just curious, what does gasoline cost in Dubai?
    Ya, I was planning on buying GenI wheels and go for the stock look, but I changed my mind, these look much better IMO. I'm not going aftermarket, I would like to remain as stock as possible. Petrol prices are $0.5/L or $2/gallon for the 95 octane.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Rob View Post
    The front plate is hideous over there, do you get fined for not using it or is it a "permanent" type of plate?
    Very extremely hideous. If I knew the guy who put holes in the bumper of this viper I would execute him I gonna have the holes filled and I ordered the plate holder from JonB. It will be riding in the trunk and if I get pulled over. I'll do the "Oh, I was washing it and I forgot to put it on" act. Its mandatory to have both front and rear plates on.

Quote Originally Posted by killerviper View Post
    Hi 7amood5041

I used to live in Dubai for 1.5 years (bur dubai) up until a Jan 2010. I saw a few vipers there, then snapped this pic of a gen2 GTS at a club over there one of the times I was out (the name of the place was Chi at the lodge in the Oud Mehta district). Looked clean. I've seen another red one and a red gen 3 hauling ass down the road too.

Attachment 17114Attachment 17115
    There are a few, I've seen GenII, III, IVs but the GenI is very rare. I've seen only 1 in a showroom back in '98 it was on our way to school. I use to stare at it every time we pass the place.
    Last edited by 7amood5041; 11-03-2011 at 11:16 PM.

Viper Owner

Congrat... I have a early 93 also.

Viper Owner

Congrat's & welcome aboard!!!

Enthusiast

UPDATE:

All the fluids were flushed and the ring and pinion were changed, still stock ratio but with the bigger 7/16 bolts.

These are pix from the old diff. The car would go to the paint shop now. Before and after pix will follow.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 7amood5041 View Post
    UPDATE:

All the fluids were flushed and the ring and pinion were changed, still stock ratio but with the bigger 7/16 bolts.

These are pix from the old diff.

You are lucky that you detected it before it came apart !

Viper Owner

wow- its had some hard ass rippin torque on those gears

Viper Owner

Keep the photos coming. This thread is great.

Viper Owner

whats so great about it- the gears are hammered

Enthusiast

Congrats on getting your dream car! Glad you knew to contact JonB, he makes getting parts so easy!

Regards,
    Aaron

Viper Owner

7Amood...... any chance you can still post a pic of the NEW GEAR next to the OLD GEAR? Sounds like you are installed, but I think it would be a very revealing comparo ..... Thank You...

Viper Owner

PS that failed gear is NOT an OEM Dana gear.......looks like a $199 Flea-Bay special....

so OE guys dont panic !

Viper Owner

i remember about 10 years ago chatting to an English guy who worked in Dubai and he owned a red gen1 RT, i used to work out there myself at the time travelling about x3 trips per year, i never did meet him so i wonder if yours was his old viper.

I will have to look for the RT photos he emailed me

Enthusiast

I have to get into the habit of taking more pix

I dont have a picture comparing the 2.... however, the ones that got installed looked bigger and beefier.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by 7amood5041 View Post
    I have to get into the habit of taking more pix

I dont have a picture comparing the 2.... however, the ones that got installed looked bigger and beefier.
    EXACTLY! The later OE gears are SO much more substantial in mass, very obvious....and an easy retro-fit. "No Cheap Gears" with 400HP + please, the result is the photos above!

Enthusiast

Overdue update:

I repainted the hood scoops (aka speakers, lol), repainted the exhaust cover, repainted the lower part of the front bumper and had the car polished. The paint is still not in the condition I want it to be but that will have to do for the coming year or so.

NEW PIX

In the paint shop

Took the car to an event the next day, it turned some heads.

Next up, dealing with the interior. Now the fun start. I'll update when I'm done, it's gonna look awesome.

Viper Owner

Very, very cool. Keep it up and keep us updated!

Viper Owner

Very Nice! Do you remember the type of paint that was used for the side exhaust?

I need to have the lower front of my car painted too. It was painted once or twice before I purchased it, and its flaking off.....big time. I'll probably do that once it starts to warm up.

Viper Owner

Congrats Hamood on your ride, I've seen one yellow RT in dubai but thats basically it..lots of SRT's though.

The weather is just right

Viper Owner

Oh yah you can get a stickered front plate too instead of the metal one