94 Gen I buying tips

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Anyone have some tips for a previous 92 owner with some technical skills on buying a 94. Are there any specific things to look after, obviously I know I am gonna look into the following:

tires
fluids
hoses
headgasket and leaks in other gaskets
sparkplug wires

Thanks for any usefull tips.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happened to the '92?

I would add look for body work and frame damage ... also check out the top and windows/curtains
There shouldn't be to much difference between the 92 and 94, air conditioner mostly.

as you know, don't count on anything like autocheck or carfax, especially for a vehicle of this age

Good luck

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the 92 went to Italy for a permanent vacation, she's enjoying the good life now. I had to make some choices and the Viper didn't win...I miss her like hell although I bought a nice litlle project to spend some time with, which doesn't cost the world monthly. I thought I would keep the Viper till dead do us part, but she had to go.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Viper, Roy...BUT...once a Viper-guy, always a Viper-guy. Who know what the future holds??!!! Best of luck to you !!

By the way, i think you'll find the 94 Viper's cooling system easier to service.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, depending on how fussy you are about appearance, check the dash. Same as your 92... could need repainted if it's getting fuzzy and scratched. Good luck!

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just the head gaskets and the sleeves shifting on the cyls. If they haven’t been changed or repaired it will only be a matter of time.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Gen 1's are pretty solid, head gaskets can be an issue if they are overheated or they do not have the coolant serviced every 2 years. The MLS gaskets will take care of this once and for all. The issue with the liners dropping is real, but I have found very few get it bad enough to loose a head gasket. Biggest problem on the Gen 1's were overheating. Make sure the radiator does not leak around the tanks, the expansion tank and heater valve are not leaking and the crossover between the heads that holds the thermostat is not leaking. Sticking thermostats were an issue as well.

The spark plug wires tended to burn the wire boots. Changing to the 1996 RT wires and using "snake socks" will help that. The throttle bodies would tend to go out of synch as well. Make sure that the left throttle body leads the right and the cable adjusters have the lock screws.

Clutch pedal arm bushings tend to wear so make sure that the clutch pedal arm does not have excessive play. If it does the car may have problems starting as the clutch switch will not engage.

Motor mounts and trans mounts fatigue and break at this age, check those out.

Make sure the hood opens and closes well and has no visible cracks, early hoods had a big issue with the RTM resin molding and had re-occurring cracks.

Gen 1's are very fun and great to work on. Contact me if you need help!

OP
OP
R

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I went and had a look, not for myself, but for a friend who wants to buy a Viper and I did a lot of gasketchanges and stuff on my 92.

The original paint on the right rear fender and door had 1mm litlle bubbles all over, the rear tires were it's original ones, front were new Ventus Sport (never heard of it, so probably no good), the plugwires were so old that when I wanted to check a spark plug the wire broke in 2 pieces as soon as I touched it, i didn't even pull or twist at that moment.
But the interior looked perfect with only 30k km's on the tacho (19k miles), so did the dash and the overal status of the car (except for parts mentioned), it has been well (dry and warm, so no rust) conserved, but the maintainance was at a dealer and they just don't know Vipers and I saw lots of stuff which I would do differently. There has only been oil/ fluid changes and the regular wearing maintainance such as brake stuff. there was a new softtop, a hardtop and all the bags for the windows and stuff were present as well as the instruction/maintainance book.

the price was right, but there is lots of work to do in order to get it right, I expect some surprises when I put it on a lift, so whe're going to think if the price is good enough to do the work needed. (paint the right side, change tires, wires, plugs, some flluids and maybe thing which occur when putting her on a lift)

@Steve: Viper guy will be for ever indeed, I miss her like hell, when the business gets better ánd steady I will buy one again for sure, but it just isn't the right time for me now.

thanks for the tips everyone!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950