Questions about Mopar PCM install in Gen IV.

F

FrgMstr

Had my '08 Roadster for a couple of weeks now (coming from an '05 Roadster) and have a one thing that I do not like about it that I would like to get corrected. As was discussed in another thread, I find the throttle-by-wire lag VERY bothersome, if not somewhat dangerous especially when using heal/toe input. 1.8t explained that he had seen reduced throttle lag with the Mopar PCM.

I have some questions about the Mopar PCM and would like to get as much feedback as possible.

Will the Mopar PCM "fix" the throttle lag? From idle? Up the power band?

Will my car pass Texas inspection with the Mopar PCM installed?

Will this effect my Chrysler Extended Warranty?

If not, how hard a process is it to switch out the module? (Honestly, I am not sure where it is located? Bueller?)

Any other input would be greatly appreciated, thanks for sharing if you have Mopar PCM/Gen IV experience.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The PCM should fix the throttle lag. That's what I have heard from those that have it installed. As far as inspection goes, I don't think it would pass as the PCM turns off some of the 02 sensors. Another thing to consider is if you like the decel pop of the exhaust you will be disappointed as the PCM gets rid of that.

Reaction score
Had my '08 Roadster for a couple of weeks now (coming from an '05 Roadster) and have a one thing that I do not like about it that I would like to get corrected. As was discussed in another thread, I find the throttle-by-wire lag VERY bothersome, if not somewhat dangerous especially when using heal/toe input. 1.8t explained that he had seen reduced throttle lag with the Mopar PCM.

I have some questions about the Mopar PCM and would like to get as much feedback as possible.

Will the Mopar PCM "fix" the throttle lag? From idle? Up the power band? YES

Will my car pass Texas inspection with the Mopar PCM installed? NO

Will this effect my Chrysler Extended Warranty? YES it can

If not, how hard a process is it to switch out the module? (Honestly, I am not sure where it is located? Bueller?) DEALER has to install 1-1.5hrs. charged.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated, thanks for sharing if you have Mopar PCM/Gen IV experience.

See above

The PCM is a great addition for response, building added power if you add headers, heads, intake etc. BUT it will not pass in Texas.

OP
OP
F

FrgMstr

The PCM is a great addition for response, building added power if you add headers, heads, intake etc. BUT it will not pass in Texas.

How long does Mopar PCM install take? Do I need to take it to a shop? Is switching back and forth between the stock and Mopar PCM "easily" doable? Are there any inherent problems with this approach? Saying of course if I wanted to you the car for both track and street purposes. Thanks for the specific insight!

Reaction score
How long does Mopar PCM install take? Do I need to take it to a shop? Is switching back and forth between the stock and Mopar PCM "easily" doable? Are there any inherent problems with this approach? Saying of course if I wanted to you the car for both track and street purposes. Thanks for the specific insight!

You can switch it once the dealer installs and calibrates it, will take 10 minutes max.
No problems doing this and as long as you have no other mods you will pass testing without it in the car. Adding other mods beyond a catback exhaust will not pass with the stock PCM.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand exactly what your talking about with the throttle lag. After having an 04 and 06 I hated the way the 08 throttle reacted when I first got it but I promise after a few weeks you will adapt and it wont be so evident. But I have the venom controller in the garage just have to find the time for a 100 mile trip to the dealer for install and I am looking forward to the quicker throttle response it should give me. I think the 08 suffer from poor drivability more so than the 09' & 10'.

Richie7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have it in an '08. The PCM will not fix the lag, but it will make an improvement. Switching back and forth is easy, takes 5 min, but you will have to put some miles on before the inspection.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You could change to the 2010 computer. Although this is not technically authorized this computer has much less throttle lag and would pass the OBD monitor test.

OP
OP
F

FrgMstr

Thanks for all the informed input gentlemen, it is very much appreciated.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can an 08 and newer run with O2 simms? If yes, that would fix the issue of the rear O2 sensors throwing a CEL if you are using headers regardless of which controller is installed.

Dan or Mark,
What's the 2010 controller?

OP
OP
F

FrgMstr

I went ahead and bought a Mopar PCM from JonB at PartsRack today, will have it installed locally, the dealership is cool with it. Had a long conversation with JonB about it and I think that is the way to go. I can trade out the Mopar for the stock PCM when I am in need. I hope to gawd that fixes the throttle lag.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went ahead and bought a Mopar PCM from JonB at PartsRack today, will have it installed locally, the dealership is cool with it. Had a long conversation with JonB about it and I think that is the way to go. I can trade out the Mopar for the stock PCM when I am in need. I hope to gawd that fixes the throttle lag.

It did on my 08. I'm lucky, my county does not perform smog/sniff test...YET.

alpha85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be sure to use 93 or higher octane to get the real benefit from the PCM. I use Torco fuel additive mix to 95 octane. With Belanger headers, exhaust car dynoed 630rwhp and 613rwtq.

OP
OP
F

FrgMstr

Be sure to use 93 or higher octane to get the real benefit from the PCM. I use Torco fuel additive mix to 95 octane. With Belanger headers, exhaust car dynoed 630rwhp and 613rwtq.

Wow, that is impressive. I always run 93 in mine from Chevron. I have Corsa catbacks on the car now, but not sure I will do much more to it beyond that performance-wise.

alpha85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belanger headers and exhaust picked up a solid 50 plus hp, the PCM with the Torco another 45hp. Torco mix is 1.6oz per gallon mixed with 91 octane gives 95 octane. That combination of mods is excellent, but I believe its the torco that gives it that extra kick. You can really feel it.