Advice on buying a SRT10 Viper

brNOR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there!

Fall 2010 I'm planning to move from Norway to San Diego for a year. While I'm there I'm hoping to fulfill my childhood dream and get a Viper. I've searched the forums but couldn't find a thread with general buying advice. My last thread was a great success, so I'll try again :)

I have about $40,000 to spend and hoping to get an early SRT10 ('03 or 04' I guess).

1. I got an online insurance quote of about $1,000 / 6 months. I'm a 23 year old single male with 5 years of driving experience and no accidents. I will get a US drivers license when I get there. Is that a realistic quote?
  2. Are there any other significant costs? I understand it's advisable to buy a warranty? What about cost of maintenance?
  3. I'm not knowledgeable enough to check the condition of the car myself. Should I avoid private sellers then or have a third party evaluate the car before I buy? Is it realistic to get anyone from VCA or SoCal Viper to help me when the time comes?
  4. Do they hold value? Does the value decrease significantly with mileage?

Anything else I should think of? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

V

Venomiss

Lance Kouchi the SoCal VCA region president is the person to contact. His email is on their website. You are welcome to write to the VCA at [email protected] also.

Guessing if Lance(the coolest dude ever) can't answer all of your questions he will know other from SoCal who will. Insurance quote-call at least three companies from SoCal with your full history and situation.

Will you have a safe place to park the Viper if you purchase it? That would be something you probably should have.
Are you looking to sell it after the year or send it to Norway? Variables to think about.

Synergy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1.For a 23 year old, Id say thats a pretty good quote for owning a Viper. I was paying around the same (21 years old).
2.Its cheaper then a Ferrari! :lmao:
3.Ask somebody in the area when your looking for a Viper. Im sure one of the fellas will help you out by giving it a look! They did for me in PA and GA :2tu:
4.From what I've seen, Vipers hold their value much better then other hi end cars.

With that being said, good luck with your search!!!

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plenty of Guys and Gals (Mary for one) around to help out when the time comes. There are also a couple Viper techs around who could help you by looking at a car. What brings you out this way?

OP
OP
B

brNOR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The big unknown on the resale value is what will happen in April when the Gen5 debuts.... Could be good or bad for sellers... There's a whole thread on mileage. http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/649113-Viper-mileage-whining

Thanks! I'll probably try to find one with some miles already on it, as I plan to put some miles on it myself.

Lance Kouchi the SoCal VCA region president is the person to contact. […]
Will you have a safe place to park the Viper if you purchase it? That would be something you probably should have.
Are you looking to sell it after the year or send it to Norway?

Thanks, I'll be sure to contact him when I'm getting closer to departure! Yes, I will rent an apartment with a garage. I plan to sell it again when I leave, as import taxes in Norway are pretty extreme! Getting a 2003 SRT-10 registered in Norway will cost me $115,000, excluding the price of the car.

1.For a 23 year old, Id say thats a pretty good quote for owning a Viper. I was paying around the same (21 years old).
2.Its cheaper then a Ferrari! :lmao:
3.Ask somebody in the area when your looking for a Viper. Im sure one of the fellas will help you out by giving it a look! They did for me in PA and GA :2tu:
4.From what I've seen, Vipers hold their value much better then other hi end cars.

With that being said, good luck with your search!!!

Thanks!

Plenty of Guys and Gals (Mary for one) around to help out when the time comes. There are also a couple Viper techs around who could help you by looking at a car. What brings you out this way?

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to join my local Viper community! You guys seem super friendly and helpful. I'll be an exchange student at UCSD, doing the third year of my degree in industrial economics. Can't wait!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper