Window Regulator -GEN 3/4 Archilles Heel

MoparOnlineParts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a dealership with this part in stock? I have the Mopar extended warranty on my car, but they told me the part is backordered with no estimated time frame for when it will be available. The part number I was given is 4865610AH. I was told that if I could track it down, Chrysler might allow my dealership to buy it from the other dealership as part of the warranty service.

Just to confirm 4865610AH is for a Right hand side (passenger) . There are no dealers in the country showing this in inventory. I would advise your local dealer to "special handle" this for you and you should be able to get one in approx 2 weeks.

-Benny

ILTTG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just to confirm 4865610AH is for a Right hand side (passenger) . There are no dealers in the country showing this in inventory. I would advise your local dealer to "special handle" this for you and you should be able to get one in approx 2 weeks.

-Benny

Correct, it's the passenger side.

It made a loud snapping noise and then would not go up anymore; the dealership tech was not able to prop the window up, so I can't really drive the car until it gets fixed. What do you mean by special handle?

Thanks!

MoparOnlineParts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct, it's the passenger side.

It made a loud snapping noise and then would not go up anymore; the dealership tech was not able to prop the window up, so I can't really drive the car until it gets fixed. What do you mean by special handle?

Thanks!

Sounds like the regulator for sure, Not sure why they cant prop it up temporarily though. Special Handling is a priority they can place on the parts order, It costs the dealer a few dollars more to do so chances are they wont offer it but if your car is sitting in their garage bay it would be worth it to them.

When parts are on backorder as such we special handle all of our customers orders at no extra charge.

-Benny

Bristolrover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Isn't it a disgrace that they keep selling us the same car from 2003 with the same expensive little flaws, without caring a damn what it costs us. I know we don't have to keep buying the damn car, this is my 3rd, but it's like a drug, you get hooked and have to have it. Wish Honda would have made the Viper.

ILTTG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Isn't it a disgrace that they keep selling us the same car from 2003 with the same expensive little flaws, without caring a damn what it costs us. I know we don't have to keep buying the damn car, this is my 3rd, but it's like a drug, you get hooked and have to have it. Wish Honda would have made the Viper.

Yeah, I have to admit, it's pretty ghetto rolling around in a $90,000 car that has the window stuck in the down position like that. I had a lot of issues with my 2005, also.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

It's interesting though that some of the cars seem to have no problems with this. My car is currently 10 years old with 77k miles on it and I haven't had a single problem with the windows yet. Granted the passenger side doesn't see as much use, but it does get put down somewhat regularly during the nicer months when I put the top down. It does make some funny noises and movements from time to time, so it definitely has me worried, but I can't help but think a large portion of failures must be due to installation issues. It sounds like it's certainly a PITA to replace one, but there must be some trick to it since some people have no issues.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
From someone who has actually installed one and learned the hard way ..... this is spot on. If you FORCE a NEW regulator in place you (or the person/dealer installing) WILL cause stress cracks which WILL lead to a failure in the future.

From my experience the best way to install is to take out the weather stripping at the top of the door and snake the window track with the long plastic tube out of the top of door opening - which puts ZERO stress on the tube during installation.

I would be interesting to see if Dodge has put out a TSB or updated the instructions for the dealers on correct installation procedures.

Unfortunately based on the design of the regulator - damage to the tube could also happen during the packing/shipping of the regulator.

It's interesting though that some of the cars seem to have no problems with this. My car is currently 10 years old with 77k miles on it and I haven't had a single problem with the windows yet. Granted the passenger side doesn't see as much use, but it does get put down somewhat regularly during the nicer months when I put the top down. It does make some funny noises and movements from time to time, so it definitely has me worried, but I can't help but think a large portion of failures must be due to installation issues. It sounds like it's certainly a PITA to replace one, but there must be some trick to it since some people have no issues.

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my '06 yesterday and that was the first thing I noticed was that both doors have terrible paint chips in the upper right corner because the window hits the paint when the doors close.
I take it from all of the posts that there is no 100% fix for this and there is still no recall for it?
You must be registered for see images attach

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks to be a case of where the window drop feature that Is supposed to work when you open your door is not functioning.

In the service manual, there is a procedure that you can do to re-teach the window to operate properly. It posted on the forums/net too.

If that doesn't work go to the dealer and they can forcibly reteach the window by re flashing the body control module.

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks to be a case of where the window drop feature that Is supposed to work when you open your door is not functioning.

In the service manual, there is a procedure that you can do to re-teach the window to operate properly. It posted on the forums/net too.

If that doesn't work go to the dealer and they can forcibly reteach the window by re flashing the body control module.

That is exactly the problem. Thanks so much, I will hunt a service manual down and see if I can't figure out the method.

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only service manual I can find is $180 + shipping, anyone able to offer this or at least the page which talks about the smart glass reset?

--Edit: Nevermind, found it on ebay for $8!!! ;)

Last edited:

MoparOnlineParts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me know if this helps as this includes the mechanical adjustment.

-Benny

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm hoping I do not actually have to take the door panel off and adjust it manually, I read something about hold window in up position for 5 seconds and down for 5 seconds 3 times to re-learn how far it should roll down/up when the door handle is pressed and then the door is closed. Sure that information will be in the service manual though.

Morketh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. :omg:
Who keeps closing the door with the glass up like that so many times that it damages the paint?:nono:
:brick:

Exactly! What I've been doing is rolling the window down about a half inch before I close it until I can find someone that can be trusted to work on it.

CuHead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Both of my Window Regulators broke within a week of each other! 2006 with 5300 miles.

Thank goodness for this thread.

I found there is now an "I" version of the regulator, part numbers 4865610AI and 4865611AI. (Just google the new part numbers) Maybe these are improved over the H.

Before I delve into this repair, are their any tips or tricks for keeping the window alignment intact through the process?

bluesilver06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same issuse on my second gen 3 coupe ,dealership told me they had a qualified viper tech,ya they did when I called bout my car getting driver side glass realigned ,they broke my trim on door panel ,when I told them befor they even touched to be careful taking panel off ,I do have a new in box driver side panel for sale ,

thomasmk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

sorry for digging out this very old thread, however this is exactly what I was searching for.

First a short introduction of myself:

I am located in Germany and since a couple of months I own a black Viper SRT-10, manufactured in 2005, originally imported from the US in 2008.

I bought this quite cheap just for fun for "good weather journeys", insured with a seasonal license (I am allowed to drive from March - October), knowing that I would have to invest some money and a lot of time to repair all the little things that are not perfectly working and/or need some fixing. I know that the car itself qualitywise is not a Porsche or Mercedes, but what excited me among the unique engine and other things is the fact that there are not many of these cars on German roads. This results in a lot of comments and questions I receive when parking somewhere, due to the fact that most people have never seen a Viper in real life before.

I already have fixed a lot of things, the car is meanwhile running really smooth and makes a lot of fun.

However, this is a rather old car and very seldom in Germany, so I have big problems to get several spare parts over here. A lot of things can be purchased via eBay, but some parts (mainly the very car specific parts) are really difficult to get or extremely expensive.

This is why I write here and ask for some help.

I desperately need new window regulators for the car, for both sides. I have no chance to repair the old (original) ones, as they are too worn, the passengers side for example is completely broken six times, including the metal bracket where the window is mounted.

I have searched for new replacement parts in almost every US-based onlineshop that I could find from here. I think that 99% of them are using the same database (they look so similar), but it seems that some of them could have the parts in stock.

The price for the regulators is something around USD 500 each. Surely I hate the idea of paying such a lot of money for those parts, but I think I do not have a chance to avoid this. So I am willing to spend the money and hope that this will be a one-time payment (I will reinforce the parts before assembling them into the car, hoping that they will last for the next 20 years).

Unfortunately most of the US-shops are not capable or willing to ship to Europe/Germany (or even outside the US). I found two that do international shipments, but one of them has only one of the regulators in stock, and the other one is trying to get his monthly expenses financed by me - they wanted to charge me USD 1,012(!) for the delivery to my home, while the other shop offered the FedEx-shipment for a realistic sum of approx. USD 150.

Therefore I ask for the following:

Is there anybody here who could help getting the parts shipped to me in Germany?

I need somebody who will order and buy the parts from a dealer or onlineshop in the US and ships them to me via FedEx, UPS or a similar company.

Of course I will pay for all the expenses, and I'm willing to take the risk of paying cash in advance (Paypal preferred), trusting that the people here are geeks like me, trustworthy and reliable.

Or does anybody have a hint where I could get the parts ordered by myself? Or a hint for a replacement from another manufacturer? Or anything else that could help me getting my windows back to work?

With best regards from Germany, and excuse me if my English is a little bit unpolished.

Thomas

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You should contact JonB at Viper Parts Rack in Washington State to see if he can help you.

It is my information that these regulators are on national backorder...so it is hard to say when they might become available.

In the meantime, you might try one of the splint kits from The Viper Store in Florida.

Also, contact. powerwindowrepair.com in Arizona to see if they can repair yours.

Have you looked for used ones at Scharf Auto in Wisconsin or Jones Auto in Orleans, Indiana?

Good luck !!