Viper Valve Cover Polish / Clean up! (pics and info)

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted to share what I did this week while I had my valve covers off. This worked AMAZING! I have really been upset with the way my engine looks because the valve covers are scratched and the paint has somewhat oxidized. The valve covers also has some white stuff splashed on them, like maybe from antifreeze or something. Was like that when I got the car a few years ago. The Valve Covers lost their deep red and it was like they had a "haze" on them. Many of you already know about sanding the logos and "viper" name with sand paper, so that's not really anything new. What was cool is the actual red part that came back to life.

Cleaning for prep:
Took valve covers in the kitchen and washed each one by hand with dishwasher soap and a bristle scrub brush.

Rep Paint Touchup:
I had a few cans of different red spraypaint laying around, so I experimented with them by spraying a little of each in a little plastic cup and used a toothpick to slightly apply paint in a few of the scratched areas that were unseen, just to practice. This actually worked out well! I mean it was not perfect but FAR better than they were! so I went ahead and applied the paint on the major scuffs and scratches to help "conceal" the blimishes. It made it to where you could be standing a few feet away and not even see the bad scratches, so mission accomplished there! Not like perfect powdercoat from factory but soooo much better!

Bringing silver logos and "Viper" back to life:
Many of you already know, you can use 1,000 grit sandpaper and tightly wind it around a square block of wood to produce an even flat surface, then sand gently on the logos and letters. Circular sanding motion is best. Now this will somewhat "change" the look from the original "silver" and change it to a high gloss "brushed aluminium" look! Looks a little different but really good!

FINAL STEP:
This is where the Polishing Coumpound comes in... Lots of circular rubbing and shoulder pain with blisters on fingers but this made the valve covers look like they were freshly painted! It was tough at first but spending a little time, I was able to get out all the white stuff that splashed on the covers from the previous owner and ALSO, polishing the Logos and "Viper" emblem makes them look nearly chrome!!! The Polish was the final touch and completed the project. I have sanded Viper logos before on my other viper without polish, but the polish changed the game here. As you can see, some red paint came off onto the cloth I used but it was minimal and just the bad paint (no worries, you will NOT rub the paint off, it's thick) but the polish really helped out with the silver logos as well.

DON'T FORGET to use some tape like blue painters tape

Sorry, I forgot to take precise Before / After pics but found some from a distance. As you can see, the logo and "Viper" is almost unreadable.

You must be registered for see images

[/img] AFTER:

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

OP
OP
F

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So pics aren't working?

Plum can you see them? I used my Iphone 3.... didn't feel like messing with the good camera. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave