Buying a new Viper (or any other car)?

Ronvpr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For those of you out there considering a new Viper, or any other car, I have some advice for you;

When I was looking a year a go for a new ACR, dealers that sell the most Vipers were all in sync with each other. They all had the same old bull***t story they were losing money when they were advertising $13,500 off MSRP on every Viper they sold. Well the deals are out there. I bought my brand new Viper ACR that is Black (not green or ******** or special dealer edition that seemed to have sat on dealer lots the longest) for $91,000. The dealer was Stephens Dodge in Greenwich NY. The car was sitting on the showroom floor. The dealer owner came out and met me. All the paper work was signed and we worked out a delivery that was fair. He told me at that price he STILL made at least a couple grand on the deal.

So if I were looking for a new Viper when they came out, I would not discount the out of the way one and only buy from the "volume" dealers. That is unless, you want to pay more than you have to.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I noticed that you have a '69 Corvair convertible. I owned a '66 Monza convertible. A fun little car.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quite a revelation.
You mean to say you got a better deal by waiting almost THREE YEARS to buy a leftover than a dealer offered when they were much newer and actually in demand?
Holy crap, I have to write this down this is groundbreaking.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quite a revelation.
You mean to say you got a better deal by waiting almost THREE YEARS to buy a leftover than a dealer offered when they were much newer and actually in demand?

:lmao:

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That is kinda funny. And i would expect to get a better deal on a NEW car that is already 2 years old as well. But i do kinda agree with Ronvpr when the dealers said they were not making money selling it for 13500 off the MSRP. Thats BS. But if the dealer bought the car for 90K, it doesn't matter if they sat on it for 4 years, thats what they have ******* in it. So if the dealer still made money selling it to Ronvpr at a discount of MORE than 13500 off the MSRP that just goes to show how much of a mark up there really is on these cars and that they were alittle on the bull**** side when they said they were losing money.
Sorry if this doesn't make sense, it 3am.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I don't understand why dealers like Tomball and Woodhouse don't just give us the cars at cost.
Imagine the nerve trying to make 5% on a car that lists for 100K+, it's outrageous.
They only paid for it, have a dealership and salaries to support etc.

The sheer greed.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I don't understand why dealers like Tomball and Woodhouse don't just give us the cars at cost.
Imagine the nerve trying to make 5% on a car that lists for 100K+, it's outrageous.
They only paid for it, have a dealership and salaries to support etc.

The sheer greed.

Occupy Detroit!!! C'mon. Who's with me?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealers typically finance the cars in inventory too. Interest rates are good but it's still a cost. When cars sit too long the manufacturer sometimes has to give an incentive reward to the dealer to move the car so that's how they can sell the car below cost in many cases.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quite a revelation.

Not with you on this one ViperJon, As far as I'm concen zero miles is zero miles don't matter if its three calendar years! And the last time I checked Ronvpr's viper "is" the current model. Alteast until next year, So he has a whole year of the "lastest and greatest" Viper. Then again I am not the one to stand in line and pay up the ying-yang just to be the one to say look what I have first before anyone else! Maybe when the $$$ comes easier maybe I will pay someone to stand and line and the put on my braggin suit.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not with you on this one ViperJon, As far as I'm concen zero miles is zero miles don't matter if its three calendar years! And the last time I checked Ronvpr's viper "is" the current model.
Obviously as soon as you go to sell the car the year matters a lot. While it's nice to get a zero mileage leftover car, as soon as you drive it off, it falls in with rest of the used '08s (when you price it out on something like the KBB). So in a sense, new vehicles remaining in a dealership after the model year ends are depreciating just like all the others which have been sold (with a mileage adjustment for the undriven cars).

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously as soon as you go to sell the car the year matters a lot. While it's nice to get a zero mileage leftover car, as soon as you drive it off, it falls in with rest of the used '08s (when you price it out on something like the KBB). So in a sense, new vehicles remaining in a dealership after the model year ends are depreciating just like all the others which have been sold (with a mileage adjustment for the undriven cars).

No Doubt... Unless it's something like an FGT or the rare few cars that actually appreciate when they're relatively new.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Doubt... Unless it's something like an FGT...Your right. I can sell my Ford GT all day long (for more than I paid)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not with you on this one ViperJon, As far as I'm concen zero miles is zero miles don't matter if its three calendar years! And the last time I checked Ronvpr's viper "is" the current model. Alteast until next year, So he has a whole year of the "lastest and greatest" Viper. Then again I am not the one to stand in line and pay up the ying-yang just to be the one to say look what I have first before anyone else! Maybe when the $$$ comes easier maybe I will pay someone to stand and line and the put on my braggin suit.

No one said it's not a new car.
But crowing about getting a great deal from some unknown dealer on one leftover car years after the demand has long since died on them is silly.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron, glad you got a great deal on your ACR, looks great.

I've got to disagree with some of your assumptions. If you shopped and all the big dealers were at $13.5K discounts, one of them started first then the others decided to match. Dealer's know what the competition is doing and they don't want to lose sales. Consumers just seem to care about price and the internet makes pricing very transparent. Since 90+ of the viper owners or buyers don't live near Houston, Omaha, or Kansas City, it's all a price game plus who has the color I want.

I don't know the dealer you bought your's from but I would be willing to bet; they held out for list price or better for at least a year. 5-10 ACR's have been sold to people within 300 miles of that dealership since he's had his, his sat because he wasn't aggressive on the price. Finally, after they've turned down a number of the folks willing to pay low mid $90's the owner or the GM said get rid of this car. You came along and got a great price. I think he said he made money to save face, on a straight purchase with no trade, at $91K I'm sure he lost money. In addition they've been paying floorplan interest at minimum 2% and insurance at .5% monthly for the past year.

Can your deal be replacated, absolutely! Somewhere is another dealer who made a financial mistake and will give a car away. But to the average person, who doesn't have a dealer friend, the odds greatly favor best viper prices and selection (and viper knowledge and support) at the larger dealers who have supported Viper through the Chrysler bankruptcy. Tomball, Woodhouse probably took 2/3rds of the viper production, with another couple probably taking 10% more. Before you bash them, think about who's been supporting the viper and who's made investments in viper.

Enjoy your new ACR! Mike

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quite a revelation.

His signature says it's a 2010....

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Most dealers do not buy the car from Dodge, many pay a flooring charge while they try to sell it (like making payments). If it is on the floor a long time they pay out all the profit on the car, so they often will sell it to close to what they must pay Dodge for the car.

My two cents.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a great deal on a nice car. You won't get any dealer sympathy from me. Open mouth = nothing but lies. Saturn had the best idea, too bad it didn't work out (crappy product). If car dealerships were run like an Apple store, things would be much better for everyone. Great customer service, no discounts, the best products. What does that mean? Sales people who actually love the product they sell and want to come to work. A great experience for all.

Last edited:

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good comment Camfab,

When it comes to buying from the dealer, get a referal. Build a relationship with your sales guy. Most of my customers buy from Woodhouse or Tomball, they do not seem to mind working the shipping into sale and know the cars they are selling.

If you have a local dealer you want to buy from and have service your car. Talk to the owner and the service manager about your needs, then you will have a relationship to build on.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
R

Ronvpr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah. Maybe do a little research. Dealers dont pay for cars. They inventory them for a fee. Greed is a typical lying sales staff telling me they are not making anything on a new car.

Sounds like I touched a nerve.

How long have you been selling cars and not making money?

OP
OP
R

Ronvpr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It was a 2010 model. and I bought it in Jan 2011.

If you're going to troll for dealership and salesman sympathy, at least get your facts straight.

OP
OP
R

Ronvpr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have no problem from your post. I don't want Woodhouse, Tomball and the rest claiming poverty though. I'm sure the marble incrusted showrooms they built wasnt from the "I'm not making any money on the deal" sales ploys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32