2013 Gen5 Speculation... What We Know... What We Think ?

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No way, unless the rear tires get wayyy stickier. I think most (or all) the road cars under 3 second 0-60 are AWD (911 Turbo, Aventador, GTR, Veyron, etc.).

2012 GT-R: 0-60 in 2.9 sec.
2010 ACR: 0-60 in 3.3 sec.

3.3 - 2.9 = 0.4 sec difference just to equalize the GTR.

Can/will it happen? Who knows....

No way, unless the rear tires get wayyy stickier. I think most (or all) the road cars under 3 second 0-60 are AWD (911 Turbo, Aventador, GTR, Veyron, etc.).

no AWD, no sub 3 second 0-60's......

Yep the GTR will be faster 0-60 because it has AWD. They won't put AWD on the viper because all the viper faithful would CRY AND CRY AND CRY just like they did with traction control and the thought of egear and paddle shifters which would make shifting faster with modern technology! Oh cry me a river we werent faithful to our heritage blah blah blah. Well our cars will be slower 0-60 because of it and have less traction because of it also.

They're not going to make the ACR .4 seconds faster 0-60 without AWD, the GTR did it with much much less horsepower with ease!

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep the GTR will be faster 0-60 because it has AWD. They won't put AWD on the viper because all the viper faithful would CRY AND CRY AND CRY just like they did with traction control and the thought of egear and paddle shifters which would make shifting faster with modern technology! Oh cry me a river we werent faithful to our heritage blah blah blah. Well our cars will be slower 0-60 because of it and have less traction because of it also.

They're not going to make the ACR .4 seconds faster 0-60 without AWD, the GTR did it with much much less horsepower with ease!

The new Viper will certainly be quicker in the 1/4 mile.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry I deleted my post........................it's too close to Christmas to be a **** to the XBOX fans...

Last edited:

pteam

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I agree because thats when the horsepower advantage will catch up. I hate the gtr ricermobile but agree with the 3 or 4 people above that said awd makes a car faster off the line.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's possible, but not likely..... The new GT-R is tested at 2.8 seconds 0-60 MPH, and should run in the 10's easily.... the Viper will pass it by from a roll and after the 1/4 mile though....

I'm sure there will be some runs with the new Viper at MIR with optimal weather and track prep that will beat the GT-R, but for 99% of the other runs, GT-R will win...

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really could care less about 0-60 times. Let the AWD cars compete in that category. The Viper is a roadcourse tyrant that also does well in the standing mile. If I recall correctly, the offroad MOPAR pcm upgrade got 675 hp and the ACR-X improved on that. I expect that the Gen V engine will incorporate what was learned from the ACR-X and Mopar PCM on top of the same direct fuel injection technology that is making 6cyl engines get 300 hp NA. Getting all that hp to hook up even in the 1/4 mile will be a challenge. l expect the Gen IV to be all I love about the Gen IV but faster with a return to an updated form of the Gen II styling. I predict that those who want to mod their engines will prefer Gen IV or older engines making their resale values increase. I hope the Gen V will continue the Viper tradition of reliability with the best possible build quality and fewest technological bugs.

I look foward to seeing the future racing versions of the Gen V. The Drag Pack Challenger and ARC-X Viper are proof that Ralph Gilles and the SRT team know how to knock our socks off. I hope that there is a way to get the Viper competing at LeMans or other venues without having an unreasonable weight adding penalty and a choking restrictor plate. :lmao: That is why the Viper Racing League exists.

I was planning on building up my investment portfolio but I have a feeling, having just turned 40, that the Gen V will trigger a mid life crisis purchase within a few years.:drive::D

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely same frame. Frame development is one of the most expensive things to do when designing a brand new car. Frame will likely have some minor tweaks but it will be pretty much the same as a Gen 4. I'm betting on at least 700HP, better stereo, better interior with softer materials, more room for larger drivers, traction control (naturally) but with a real "off" switch, cruise control (why not it is essentially free with drive by wire), a stupid auto dimming mirror (hate these darn things), Pirelli tires, more color choices (Ralph had said at one point he wanted to offer custom color choices ala Aston Martin), Ring time of about 7:07 once the ACR version is released (I doubt a regular Viper without the aero could do this time), improved eBrake (eliminating the inner pad wear issue many of us have had), and a 6 speed manual with paddles possibly a later addition.

I don't think it will have direct injection because I believe they will achieve 700HP without it. Look at the crate motors!

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of Carbon Fiber and a $125,000 base price
This.

No way we will see a sticker price of less than $120k. If you need evidence of this, just remember that we will see new technology over the gen IV (direct injection, stability management, traction control, electronic adjustable suspension, upgraded interior). Need more evidence? Look at the price of Chrysler vehicles. You can buy a $60K Jeep Grand Cherokee right now!!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I think you're very close. Base price of a 2012 Jeep SRT8 is about $54k so that puts the base price of the Viper at about $108k. For comparison - 2012 base price of a Z06 is about $76k and $112k for a ZR1.

After having the chassis that just set the record at the ring and from a pure cost/business perspective, I find it hard to believe that Dodge will come up with a totally new frame, tranny, rear end, or major suspension changes. We also have world class brakes - so I doubt they change much there either. It would also take a significant increase in cost to really shave any weight off - so I don't see that happening.

I could see a change in the windshield angle/design and doors which would change the overall look and hopefully provide for some more headroom. Interior has to be updated. There was some early discussion regarding the Fiat Multi-air system - so maybe that is how they achieve the HP increase without having to make huge changes to a proven engine. Traction/stability control has to be a good thing with a motor that's pushing out 675/600+ numbers.

Gotta hand it to Dodge for being able to keep everything under wraps for as long as they have.

This.

No way we will see a sticker price of less than $120k. If you need evidence of this, just remember that we will see new technology over the gen IV (direct injection, stability management, traction control, electronic adjustable suspension, upgraded interior). Need more evidence? Look at the price of Chrysler vehicles. You can buy a $60K Jeep Grand Cherokee right now!!

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it is reasonable to assume that the base model will be around the same price as the 2010 model ( perhaps adjusted for inflation) with many options available. In 2010, there were quite a few unique Vipers because of all the color combinations offered. Everyone seemed to like that so it makes sense that this "customized Viper" trend will continue and there will be interior options, radio options, etc. So I would guess a range starting at about 93.5 K with a fully optioned car going for about 117.5 K. I also think it will be a coupe initially because the mockup shown at VOI was a coupe.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder why top gear would claim the Gen Vs are running the ring. I doubt that's true

No way. Ton's of spies over there first of all and why on earth would Top Gear know something first.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There will probably be some pictures leaked before we actually see the new car just like we saw for the new NSX.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant wait.

As long as its 700 hp with a nicer interior then Im all in

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because of the additional cooling for the rear diff, I'm going to guess that it is an electronically controlled unit that can do some crazy stuff, everything from traction control on the ice to helping self steer the car in the corners. By taking away the traction control from the brakes, they will not overheat and wear like they do under tough performance conditions (like a Z06 does). But what do I know.

George

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A year from now? I thought some owners may have their hands on one by VOI time...based on the VOI post leading up to the announcement....awe darn.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A year from now? I thought some owners may have their hands on one by VOI time...based on the VOI post leading up to the announcement....awe darn.

Production starts this fall. So the cars that could possibly be at VOI could be preproduction models.

I Bin Therbefor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper persons;

A few wishes:

Take a look at the Ferrari FF awd arrangement. There is a simple, light weight, awd design in a front-mid chassis that would easily adapt to the Viper chassis. It would need considerable beefing to handle the torque, but would work quite nicely.

Better ergonomics for the driver.

An observations;

A better "quality" interior is a very good possibility. Look at what is being done throughout the Chrysler line. IMO the Viper, as the halo car, will get the benefit of this approach.