2013 Gen5 Speculation... What We Know... What We Think ?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now that we know the new car will be built at CAAP what percentage of the Gen5 will be interchangeable with the Gen4 and what will be all new ?

Any guesses on

Horsepower ?
0-60 ?
1/4 mile ?
Ring Lap time ?
V10 only and/or V8 too ?
Final gearing ?
NA or forced ?
Weight ?
Early style Hood ?
Automatic ?
Electronics ?
Etc...

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based on some of the Mule pics we saw and the fact that the car will be built at CAAP, I think the car will be a restyled and refreshed variant of the Gen4 with the same basic dimensions, chassis and suspension. I just don't see it being a clean sheet design. It will probably be at least 50-60% directly interchangeable which is not necessarily a bad thing when you consider the alternatives.

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Gen V transmissions that were available are telling... Better 5th and 6th gearing. So I'm thinking direct injection is all but guaranteed. (Better fuel economy, thus the ability to lower the over drive gearing) Gen 4s were used a mules, so the core is probably very similar.

V10 only, *over* 700hp
Direct Injection
6 speed manual only
better throttle control (less lag)
better door window controllers!
Pirelli's
better seats (no more of that annoying notch the back of your knees hit) along with the promised much nicer interior

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
New tires
Traction control
Side airbags
Completely restyled interior like all other SRT's
Softer ride
more LED lighting
less able to mod due to electronic restrictions

Bruce

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think the car is gonna be brand new from the ground up. Aside from maybe the same engine, just reworked a bit for more power. It will be interesting to see.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pirelli and Penzoil. Right now that is all we really know for sure so in reality we don't know Jack Chit.

Reaction score
8.7L V10 close to 700hp
Traction control (goverment)
better interior
tire change
more airbags (goverment)
no DODGE on the car
The rest in APRIL! ;-)

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think the car is gonna be brand new from the ground up. Aside from maybe the same engine, just reworked a bit for more power. It will be interesting to see.

I would tend to agree with this as well. It's not like they didn't have enough time on their hands during the past two years. :smirk:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same frame ( SRT test mule was Gen IV Viper with Gen V front body panels). True six speed transmission ( already admitted by SRT engineers through test trannies sold by VPA). 8.4 liter engine ( already admitted by SRT when the 8.7 liter rumor was stated to be untrue). LED lights ( all the SRT products have them). Upgraded interior with different seats and ncredible electronic goodies including sound system ( all the SRTs have same). More room for taller drivers ( admitted by SRT engineer post on this Forum) also evidence of different seats. More HP than the ZR1 and the 650 HP Mustang coming out ( Has to be. It is a pride of ownership issue.)

Last edited:

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same frame ( SRT test mule was Gen IV Viper with Gen V front body panels). True six speed transmission ( already admitted by SRT engineers through test trannies sold by VPA). 8.4 liter engine ( already admitted by SRT when the 8.7 liter rumor was stated to be untrue). LED lights ( all the SRT products have them). Upgraded interior with different seats and ncredible electronic goodies including sound system ( all the SRTs have same). More room for taller drivers ( admitted by SRT engineer post on this Forum) also evidence of different seats. More HP than the ZR1 and the 650 HP Mustang coming out ( Has to be. t is a pride of ownership issue.)

This, along with a price increase..... :)

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody seeing the new car taking down the GTR in 0-60 or 1/4 mile or will it be more of a complete road racer ? I'm thinking the latter...

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody seeing the new car taking down the GTR in 0-60 or 1/4 mile or will it be more of a complete road racer ? I'm thinking the latter...

2012 GT-R: 0-60 in 2.9 sec.
2010 ACR: 0-60 in 3.3 sec.

3.3 - 2.9 = 0.4 sec difference just to equalize the GTR.

Can/will it happen? Who knows....

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No way, unless the rear tires get wayyy stickier. I think most (or all) the road cars under 3 second 0-60 are AWD (911 Turbo, Aventador, GTR, Veyron, etc.).

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One interior item nobody has mention will be , IMHO, one of the coolest.
A flat bottom steering wheel.
The Audi R8 has , so does the Ferrari 458, hell, even the new Jeep SRT8 will have it so it's only logical that the Vipe will have it too. I like the look of it alot and frankly we cuold use the extra clearance it will offer.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One interior item nobody has mention will be , IMHO, one of the coolest.
A flat bottom steering wheel.
The Audi R8 has , so does the Ferrari 458, hell, even the new Jeep SRT8 will have it so it's only logical that the Vipe will have it too. I like the look of it alot and frankly we cuold use the extra clearance it will offer.

Has been in boats for years.Isotta [ italian] makes some very nice ones.http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...TzTrSBC-mmiQKa0qCyDg&ved=0CE8Q9QEwBA&dur=3000

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subject to minor differences in subframe(s) and the front and rear bumper reinforcements, I believe that the mule does in fact prove that the same frame will be used. SRT was clearly testing the entire front for some reason and it would not make any sense to do so in that manner if the frame and the fitment were going to be different on the final product.

That does not necessarily mean that it will have the same frame.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After talking to Ralph at VOI he pretty much said that there will be a ******** version and a paddle shift version. As much as I want the Viper to stay bare bones (I really think its part of the Viper heritage) I just don’t think that is what the people want.

After seeing the prototype at VOI it is going to look more like a GEN II GTS than a GEN 4.

And I am pretty sure I heard that they sold most of the equipment used to make the GEN 4. So I think it will be a clean sheet redesign.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After talking to Ralph at VOI he pretty much said that there will be a ******** version and a paddle shift version. As much as I want the Viper to stay bare bones (I really think its part of the Viper heritage) I just don’t think that is what the people want.

After seeing the prototype at VOI it is going to look more like a GEN II GTS than a GEN 4.

And I am pretty sure I heard that they sold most of the equipment used to make the GEN 4. So I think it will be a clean sheet redesign.

I wonder if the exhaust will remain in the sills if it's a clean sheet design... Could you tell from the VOI car ?

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one thing I would be willing to bet on is the car is going to be more expensive than Gen 4, that's an easy one. The exception could be with an entry level, a la Corvette style "GS", neutered car. Hopefully the car design, testing, and research process will be from top level model down and not in reverse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave