Burning plasic smell and smoke out exhaust pipes

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:( I started my Viper up and saw lots of white smoke coming out the exhaust with a burning plastic smell, and turned it off, and noticed coolant under the car as well? It does not smell like oily smoke, so I am assuimng coolant is getting into my intake, or cylinders? Hopefully my Viper tech will come by and look at it today? Any ideas?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year? If 96-99 you might be due for a timingcover gasket. Get her done quick as the motors internals do Not like to be marinating in coolant.

Last edited:

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dennis,
Did you see the water on the ground before you started the car?
I'm thinking, you might have had water in one or more cylinder and it was sent down the pipes at start up. Then leaked out onto the ground.
Are you still S/C with water injection? might be leaking.

Hope your tech finds it a simple fix.:dunno:

mrbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
burnt plastic smell i have that problem ,, mine was a master card this Christmas. good luck with your repair

OP
OP
G

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car is a 2001 and I am normally aspirated now. No super charger any more. Plus coolant was under the right side of the engine area. Not a lot, probably about 3 ozs. on the ground.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put it in the air and check the front cover and head gasket area to see where its leaking from. Ouch, hope its something simple but it doesn't sound happy.....

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is getting into the intake and out the exhaust it probably is not the front cover, as Steve said, the head gasket is likely.

OP
OP
G

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. Tech has not been able to come by becasue of Christmas, but I am in no hurry since it is winter time, and i only take the car out every two weeks to keep it fresh.