2003 Gen 3 viper What do you think would be the best performance Mods?

willworkforvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just trying to work on adding a little horsepower on my viper this winter while it sets idle. So I will ask everyone in the club what do you think would be the best performance mods. Also what do you think would be the best preventative mods such as K&N air filters. Maybe even show some pics of under the hood and some style accessories you have added. Lets see what everyone thinks!

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Best modifications for the dollar would be a gear change (3.33 or 3.54) and a performance computer calibration. Next step would be headers, side exhaust, throttle body and high flow air filters.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
710 cam/bee hive springs/forged pushrods/gen4 head gaskets=$1500

kn air intake=$350

beleteing all 4 cats for staraight pipes=$200

sct tune=$500

a shop to delete the cats and install the cam/springs/rods/gaskets/air intae and delete the cats=$2000

$4500 total and your 510 HP 2003 gen3 will have 600 HP like a 2008 gen4 and still drive like stock. By far the best modifications for the money IMHO

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
710 cam/bee hive springs/forged pushrods/gen4 head gaskets=$1500

kn air intake=$350

beleteing all 4 cats for staraight pipes=$200

sct tune=$500

a shop to delete the cats and install the cam/springs/rods/gaskets/air intae and delete the cats=$2000

$4500 total and your 510 HP 2003 gen3 will have 600 HP like a 2008 gen4 and still drive like stock. By far the best modifications for the money IMHO

Forged pushrods aren't giving you any more power, does the addition of stronger valve springs and more cam lift really require the addition of the forged rod?? I've never heard of the pushrods being a weak link.

cubican

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HF cats, corsa exhaust, gears and an sct dyno tune.

You must be registered for see images attach

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Depends on your budget and what your primary goal is. If you want the best seat of the pants mod without increasing hp, then gears. If you want a few simple bolt-ons that add 5-10hp here and there then SCT tuner, K&Ns, throttle body, exhaust. If you want considerable horsepower gains, you have several options depending on your spend and target power level. Heads/Cam puts you in the 650-700 range, supercharger in the 750 range, twins in the 800+ range.

OP
OP
willworkforvipers

willworkforvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found out that it already has roller rockers and does anyone know what the best cam for a viper is that doesn't affect driveability?

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
710 from roeracin or talk to greggood. 710 is good for 45-55 rwhp cam/springs/rods/gen4 head gaskets. Drivability is very close to stock.

On a stock 440 rwhp car with no other mods the cam springs rods and gaskets plus sct tune will put you at 490-510 rwhp.

Sounds pretty awesome as well

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the arrow roller rockers (harland sharps) my first modification would be to get rid of them and go to stock rockers. These arrow rockers have failed me twice.

OP
OP
willworkforvipers

willworkforvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you add long tube headers high flow cats and side exhaust would it provide acess to 02 sensors and do side exhaust come out the same place as the stock exhaust. Also if I do out on those mods should I also put better pushrods for safety? Thanks for the help everyone

OP
OP
willworkforvipers

willworkforvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also which exhaust system with headers and cat deletes are the best and that are relatively quite. If anyone has good ones for sale i would be interested for the right price!

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know if your join date is indicative of how long you have owned a Viper but as someone who is also fairly new to Vipers I would add this advice. First I added new tires. Big difference and much safer. I changed to a 3.55 rear end and was very happy with the better driveablility. I changed to Corsa catbacks to get better sound and get rid of the heat. I also added a MGW shifter. I plan to find a good driving school to learn how to deal with all the horsepower - I had some pretty fast cars in the past but nothing like a Viper. All the horsepower ideas are great but I can't use all I've got safely. Till I can, I don't worry about more horsepower. No offense meant to all those with ideas but just my thoughts about learning the car and being safe.

OP
OP
willworkforvipers

willworkforvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks

Yes my date I joined was about a month after. I am going to changes tired and wheels soon and maybe gears. I need also to find a good driving school I am only 18 I'm a great driver but like you said the vipers horsepower is incomparable to anything else thanks for the tips everyone!

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: thanks

Yes my date I joined was about a month after. I am going to changes tired and wheels soon and maybe gears. I need also to find a good driving school I am only 18 I'm a great driver but like you said the vipers horsepower is incomparable to anything else thanks for the tips everyone!
My advice is after you get new tires go to a track that offers driver ed. Your 18, unless you have been driving cart/race cars your entire life? (no offense intended) I would drive the car with some instruction under a safe environment first and learn what it can do. Start finding out how the car handles and get a feel for it. HP is not what you need, seat time under safe closed conditions (Not the road) so you can learn the car. I think you'll find the car has plenty of HP for you. Just my two cents having been 18 once in my life and thinking I was a great driver. At 42 I know I have much to learn and someday I may be lucky to be a great driver.
Good luck and be safe.

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good advice above... I have run up against 16-20 year-olds at the kart track that were phenomenal drivers, but they'd been racing since birth or thereabouts. :smirk: So out on a track, youth can be helpful, but on the public roads, with all the unexpected pitfalls, wisdom and years of experience do count for something. For mods on the Viper, this car doesn't cry out for more power the way many other sports cars do, and I find I get more bang for the buck with mods other than HP improvers-- mods that improve the car every time you drive it, not just at full throttle (gears, suspension, heat insulation(!), short shifter, etc.).

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
18.... Wow... Lucky guy. At 18 I had a 5.0 mercury cougar

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At 18 I had a 1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring with a 318 motor. I had no money and my parents had no money. I'm much better now, thank you.

OP
OP
willworkforvipers

willworkforvipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and I've been driving the viper for about 6 months or so now and it does have plenty of power has gotten away from me a couple of times. Im working on getting ps2's now while its winter and I'm looking to go to a driving school for vipers over the summer. Yes I am very lucky I've had around 15 to 20 cars so far in my life. I started off with a 1989 dodge dakota convertible and I helped build the motor and do the body work on the car myself we put a custom T/A challenger hood-scope and molded it into the hood it looked great ill post pictures. I buy and sell cars all the time buy them low fix them and sell them high so I worked for the money to buy my car so I'm pretty happy about that.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth