"Annual" oil changes..?

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to know how often everyone changes their oil if their car isn't driven that much?

I got my Viper last February and have only changed the oil once (when I first got it at 11K miles).

Now it's almost a year later, and have put on 4K miles since then without changing the oil again.

So, do you "low mileage" guys change oil annually, or more often?

(FYI - I only use fully synthetic Mobil 1 - either 10W30, or 0W40).

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The manual says you are OK, but 4000 miles is too long for me..... 2500-3000 miles. Even SOONER on tracked cars.The corrosive burned fuel deposits 'age' the oil, even if not a lot of miles are on it..... FloGor Where AR U ?

Pythonpete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I change my oil every 3,000 miles or every year. Whichever comes first. Also only use fully synthetic Mobil 1. I rarely if ever hit 3,000 miles in a year.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Every year at inspection time. I put about 2500-3000 (2500 is really it though) miles per year. Car is driven regularly, though.

Last edited:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changed 2- 3 times a year, whenever I change underwear:omg:
Only thing safer than fresh oil and filter is fresher oil and filter!
All fluids every other year.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 11,000 miles on my ACR and change it once per year. It is driven enough in the winter I am not worried about condensation or anything.

SR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had my oil changed after 2 years and 4K street driven miles (only 6k miles on my 2008 viper). I had the oil analyzed by Blackstone labs and they recommended that I extend my oil change to every 5k miles.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Every 3000 miles religiously on oil & filter.
Changed diff and tranny fliud at 12,000.
Coolant, still factory fill. My dealership Viper tech told me its good to go for 100K.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your coolant is good for a while only if your system stayes tight,small sweat leaks ect is what turns coolant dirty, remember that...

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now it's almost a year later, and have put on 4K miles since then without changing the oil again.

It was time to change it anyway. I change the oil on all my cars and bike every 3,000 miles. If you're going to store it over the winter they say to change it BEFORE storage so the old contaminated oil doesn't sit in the engine and do nasty things for the many months it is not being driven.

OP
OP
Z

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want your YELLOW Viper to continue to be the fastest, you need to change oil every 3000 miles!
PBR

I think you're right....got it done today and the oil was nasty dark. Surprising to me because after checking my records, I had actually put on only 2800 miles since that last oil change in February, instead of 4000 miles like I thought. Too much eggnog? :crazy2:

Still, didn't expect that M1 0W40 to be so dirty. All the more reason to change it much more often than I have been.

Thanks everyone. :2tu:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My viper is driven 5-7k miles/year. I change the oil in late Oct or early Nov. and again in late May or early June. Brake fluid gets swapped every two years in Feb. and every three years I do the coolant and clutch along with the brake fluid. Feb. is a good month for getting it up and detailing the underside too.... I use Mobil 1 turbo diesel engine oil because of the additional dispersants.

To each, their own