Potential new owner - 2008 SRT10 Coupe

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've decided to go take a good hard look at a 2008 Viper tomorrow - unfortunately, I don't know much about what to watch out for as I'm looking it over. It is a standard SRT10 Coupe, ~9,500 miles on it. Is there anything that warrants a close inspection? Known leaky areas? I can cover the basics, but if there's something that I can easily spot that would make me not want to drop the kind of cash a car like this requires, it would be much appreciated.

I'm coming from the world of a lowly GM F-body, so this is a quantum leap ahead, and I don't want to screw this up. If I have to pass on the deal, I'm going to keep looking, but the one I'm going after appears to have everything I want (wheel style, color, and mileage).

Thanks for any insight, and I hope to be a new owner come tomorrow if all goes well.

-Steve

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure of any known issues with the '08 other then noise when turning the wheel hard right or left. The fix is to "overfill" the powersterring fluid and that should solve it. Also, there is some Neutral Gear Rattle which is normal. Our region president (Ohio) is from Dayton area. If ou have any questions you can look him up as well. Goes by Daytonprowler here on the boards. I'm the VP of the Ohio chaper. I own an '08 so if you have any other questions feel free to ask. :)

viper_itch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a few items off the top of my head, though not specific to '08

With the windows all the way up, they automatically move down about 1/2" when opening the door. When closing they move back up. The window regulators can fail and not properly lower the window. This will cause the glass to hit when closing the door with the windows all the way up.

9,500 miles, the tires are probably nearly toast. Do you have a way to measure the tread? I would factor a new set into the pricing. One would like to see even tread ware front to back.... major difference might tell you something about how the car was driven.

The front is low like a lot of sports cars. lay on the ground and inspect that carefully. Hopefully there is a lift you can get it on. It will be normal to see some minor scrapes.

Yes, the transmission is noisy when cold and at a stop. I would think with 9,500 is might be a bit less noticeable. It bothered me at first (1300 miles)... now I don't even hear it. (2,800)

Check the condition of the break fluid. Might give you some insight as to how the car was driven and cared for.

My radio's AM band does not work. Don't think I care and didn't notice for months.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
May have posted a little late to round up a VCA member to go with you. Is it private party or dealer? Multiple owners always deserves more scrutiny but is not necessarily a bad thing. I have just over 9,000 miles on My 08 and drives like new with no issues to date. Tires have quite a bit of tread left.

OP
OP
Steve M

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is at a dealership - got a chance to do a quick drive by last night, and it was sitting outside on their lot (I'm a little disappointed it wasn't inside). There are a few minor scrapes up front along with the standard grubby finger prints and swirl marks (although those would easily be removed). Tires were pretty low on tread, but front to rear wear was the same all around. I'll have a chance to look under the hood this morning, so I'll check all the various fluids to see what condition everything is in. I've been assured that "there's nothing wrong with the car." We shall see...

The vehicle had two previous owners - looks like the first sold it after a couple of months, and the second kept it for a couple years. I'm assuming there is no warranty left since it is an '08, but I'm not sure what the vehicle's in-service date was, nor am I sure how to check. Purchasing a car that appears to be unmodded and in decent shape doesn't bother me too much, but having the ability to buy an extended warranty would be nice, and I'm not sure that is an option here.

Definitely too late to have someone come down to take a look with me...I'll be over at the dealership in about an hour from now. South Pointe Chevrolet in Tulsa (yes, I came down from Dayton specifically to see this car).

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
look for any body or paintwork. These cars have no over spray since the panels are painted off the car. Ask if it has been in any wrecks since frame damage on these beasts can be extensive work.

Good luck

Bruce

OP
OP
Steve M

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I much appreciate all the feedback - I'm a bit nervous about pulling the trigger on a car I don't know well and especially one that isn't local to me, but we'll see how this morning goes.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing to remember is these cars are built to be driven. If you dont see much in physical damage to the car... and you have stated the tires are pretty evenly worn... then you really dont have much to worry about. Most Viper owners do take very good care of their cars... but there are always exceptions and those really stand out. Drive the car, check it out, and get ready to buy it... because once you drive it you will want it. Hope it works out for you... and not a better way to kick off the New Year than to buy a Viper!

Lespauldude

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Steve-

Send a PM to Chuck Tator (aka "The Viper Wizard"). He helped me immensely when I bought my 09 Vert. He is truly one-of-a-kind. Keep us posted and good luck!

Scott

I much appreciate all the feedback - I'm a bit nervous about pulling the trigger on a car I don't know well and especially one that isn't local to me, but we'll see how this morning goes.

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car looks great mechanically and drives well...closing the deal now.

Congrats Steve. I bought My 08 2 years ago today. Great way to start off the New Year. Have fun on your road trip back to Ohio, and take it easy while getting to know your new car. Watch for blind spots when changing lanes.

JnJ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats! Post pics when you can. Good to see another Viper in Dayton.

TXCobra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please keep us posted Steve. I am thinking hard about an 08-10 Viper, just haven't found one in particular. Would love to benefit from your recent experience of you dont mind sharing.

JRC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was at Snook"s a couple months with the Ohio Viper Club where Herb and Dick both attended. Leaving the next morning my 08 made the knock your asking about for the third time. One member went in and Got Dick to come out and look at it. The knock comes from the rear end when it is really cold. It is common and nothing to worry about. If Dick says it is OK then I am OK with it. JOHN

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent!!! Another Viper in Dayton. :)

VCA Ohio Region is looking forward to meeting you and having you as a member.

OP
OP
Steve M

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2008 Venom Red Metallic Coupe w/ White Stripes
Previous owner appears to be a Mr. Nathan Price from Oklahoma
Vehicle in-service date: June 2009 (so it looks like I have ~6 months left on the original warranty)

You must be registered for see images attach

I drove 13 hours straight from Tulsa to Dayton last night with my wife riding shotgun - car did great. The only mods to the car appear to be a little aftermarket stereo work (it had an 8" sub in the back) and what appears to be about 20% tint all around. There's a little gear whine, but certainly tolerable when compared to the horrendous noise my current '02 Camaro makes. It certainly qualifies as the fastest car I've ever driven, and is by far the coolest thing I've ever bought. The car needs a bath in the worst way (it had been sitting on their lot for the better part of 2 months outside), so as soon as I get some decently warm weather, it's getting cleaned. I'll likely ask someone local that knows the '08+ cars well to go for a spin to see if there are any major issues that need to be corrected before the warranty runs out in a few months, although I'm seriously considering shopping around for an extended MaxCare warranty.

Regardless, these things are fantastic. The first time I had ever driven or even really been in a Viper was the test drive I took yesterday morning...it didn't take long for me to make my decision.

Last edited:

fastandloud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rock on Steve...have you wiped the smile off your face yet? If so, just go hit the little red button and it will come right back!

OP
OP
Steve M

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be quite honest, I'm still reeling from the past 48 hours - a few days ago, I decided I wanted to sell my Camaro, which I thought I was going to keep forever. I wanted to replace it only if I could find something special, and I had always loved how Vipers looked, but knew next to nothing about them. That same day I decided to sell my Camaro, I saw the ad for this Viper, and called the Oklahoma dealership about it that afternoon. By Thursday evening of last week, I had two one-way plane tickets to Tulsa for the following evening. Got into Tulsa at around 10:00PM local Friday night with my wife in tow, and by about 3:00PM yesterday, I owned it. As I was driving it home, I kept wondering if I had really just done all that in the span of about 48 hours...there may be something wrong with me.

It was still sitting in my garage this morning, though, so I have at least determined that it wasn't all a dream. A quick check of our bank accounts reaffirmed that. I wouldn't go back and change a thing though :)

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2008 Venom Red Metallic Coupe w/ White Stripes
Previous owner appears to be a Mr. Nathan Price from Oklahoma
Vehicle in-service date: June 2009 (so it looks like I have ~6 months left on the original warranty)

You must be registered for see images attach

I drove 13 hours straight from Tulsa to Dayton last night with my wife riding shotgun - car did great. The only mods to the car appear to be a little aftermarket stereo work (it had an 8" sub in the back) and what appears to be about 20% tint all around. There's a little gear whine, but certainly tolerable when compared to the horrendous noise my current '02 Camaro makes. It certainly qualifies as the fastest car I've ever driven, and is by far the coolest thing I've ever bought. The car needs a bath in the worst way (it had been sitting on their lot for the better part of 2 months outside), so as soon as I get some decently warm weather, it's getting cleaned. I'll likely ask someone local that knows the '08+ cars well to go for a spin to see if there are any major issues that need to be corrected before the warranty runs out in a few months, although I'm seriously considering shopping around for an extended MaxCare warranty.

Regardless, these things are fantastic. The first time I had ever driven or even really been in a Viper was the test drive I took yesterday morning...it didn't take long for me to make my decision.

:headbang: :headbang:

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats,

Great looking car, Venom Red is one of the best colors on a Viper.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Now that you have one, you will probably want to get another after awhile--at least that's what happened to me--have a blast, but be careful--Dave

daytonprowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

Here are some links to just a few of the events the VCA Ohio Region put together in 2011.

We have a full calendar for 2012!!

You own a Viper now... your life will never be the same. LOL

VCA Midwest Zone Rendezvous 2011
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/647539-*PICS*-Midwest-Zone-Rendezvous-2011?daysprune=365

VCA Ohio REgion Fall Party 2011
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/649125-*PICS*-Viper-Fall-Party-Snnok-s-Dream-Cars-Museum?daysprune=365

Vipers and Thoroughbreds / Polo Match 2011
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/648350-*PICS*-Vipers-and-Thoroughbreds-horsepower?daysprune=365

Vipers Run the Kentucky Bourbon Trail 2011
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads...eavy-Dial-up-and-mobile-alert!)?daysprune=365

Viper Play Day at BeaveRun 2011
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/646392-*PICS*-BeaveRun-2011?daysprune=365

Viper Tech Day 2011
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/645599-**pics**-viper-tech-day-vca-ohio-**pics**?daysprune=365

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Steve

Congrats on the car and welcome to the Viper Nation! :yay:

Lol. No no. You are 100% normal. Infact, you are just crazy enough to fit in with the OH chapter! :rolaugh: They really are a good crew!

Congrats again on the car and if there is anything I can ever help you with, let me know!

Robert

PS For the safety of Steve, can we edit maybe the last few digits of the VIN out of the post and the quote? Thanks.

OP
OP
Steve M

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PS For the safety of Steve, can we edit maybe the last few digits of the VIN out of the post and the quote? Thanks.

Good call...I edited that post to get rid of the VIN, but can't mess with the quote in the other post further down. I posted it hoping someone might know more about the car, but the last thing I need is someone getting a bright idea to try and steal my new toy.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah. Don't want any issues!

Quote is taken care of too it now looks like. :2tu:

You will find the viper world is a very tight knit group that knows everyone and their car very well. I am sure someone will know the car!