Slow battery drain 1997 GTS

gtex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed anew Mopar battery last year. I see in my maintennace records that the previous owner went through several battery changes at the dealer. I assumed it was because he drove teh car less than 600 mile sper year for it's 14 years of life. But, now that I'm putting more like 4000miles per year on the car, I figured the battery issues would go away. But twice now, it has needed a charge to start. Years back, the dealer installed a battery maintainer that I guess I'll start to use more often. But, I thought that was unnecessary in a car that gets driven every week or two.

Any leading candidates for a slow drain in these cars? It's completely stock.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bad ground ? all stock stereo ? any other electronics

and i remember indy steve helping someone with this issue. maybe he will chime in

OP
OP
G

gtex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alarm is not typically set. all stock stereo and electronics.

I guess I could check to make sure the stock amplifier is not staying on when the key/accesory is off. That Alpine amp should have a power on indictator.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two week driving intervals can definitely lead to battery-drain issues.

Clearly eliminating all parasitic losses is the best way to go....but if you can't, supplement with a Tender.

In my car, whatever parasitic losses happen will definitely kill it in three weeks of sitting and weaken it in two. Problem solved: keep it on a Battery Tender when not in use. Many years on current battery and the voltmeter is almost pinned at the high end whenever I take the car out.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Best course of action is to actually measure the current draw when ignition is off. It should be under 30mA (.03 amps). My GTS was drawing 140mA and would kill a battery in 3 days, turned out to be a faulty hood switch keeping the alarm on standby... If it takes 2 weeks to drain, then it may just need a battery tender.

When you close the door, do your LED's on the inside door handles turn off after a couple minutes? They should. Also, after arming alarm, you should get a confirmation "honk" about 15 seconds after arming it and hearing the first "honk." If these things are occurring, then the alarm system is okay.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
What others said....paying special attention to the time-out time of LED's on door handles like coupe said. If they stay on, could be EEM.

If you are inclined to do the ignition-off draw test, that should help start the hunt if current drain is excessive. Be careful if you start pulling fuses to make determination...leave windows down when closing doors so that you don't lock yourself out.

Also remember that a 1997 MIGHT have a short in door harness.

OP
OP
G

gtex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully I can get to some troubleshooting on my weekend coming up. but if the weather stays like this, I may just charge the battery the old fashioned way, and put a few more miles on the car :) man it ***** to be at work on a day like this.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Till you get it sorted out, a battery tender is your friend.

Many put the hookup in the engine compartment and hang the plug out through the gills. Easy to plug in without needing to raise hood. Just be sure to unplug it before driving off : >)

I put a stickey note on my window to remind me to pull the plug.

OP
OP
G

gtex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I was already pondering this setup. but the tender that is on there has a real short cord. I may try it anyway. some kind of self retracting setup would be sweet. it's only 1.5 amps, wouldn't need much of a cord.

Till you get it sorted out, a battery tender is your friend.

Many put the hookup in the engine compartment and hang the plug out through the gills. Easy to plug in without needing to raise hood. Just be sure to unplug it before driving off : >)

I put a stickey note on my window to remind me to pull the plug.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 GTS has always had a parasitic drain. I just put it on a battery tender and/or change my battery under full warranty every 3 years. 2 weeks parked in cold weather will kill it, 3-4 weeks in summer.

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a 2000 Gts and it always had a drain with stock and then aftermarket stereo units. Just put a battery tender on it and don't waist time looking for the problem. Unless it gets worse then a two week drain. I had the cord come out of the driver side gil like Paul suggested. You can just reach in and plug it easy without opening the hood.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ignition off draw should be checked. Common issue with IOD on 96-97 Coupes was hood switch adjustment and hatch switch adjustment. Alarm modules were also an issue, car would lock by itself or module would not "timeout" and draw would battery down.

Hope this helps.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say stereo unit do you mean everything, head unit, amp? I use to install high end car stereo systems for a living and a good percentage if aftermarket amps had a power draw after the car was turned off...shocking problem considering the amount of money payed for them. I had the two-thee week power drain problem before, it went away once I changed out my head unit and amp. My car has been sitting almost 3 month and still has juice to start. Just my experience

I had a 2000 Gts and it always had a drain with stock and then aftermarket stereo units. Just put a battery tender on it and don't waist time looking for the problem. Unless it gets worse then a two week drain. I had the cord come out of the driver side gil like Paul suggested. You can just reach in and plug it easy without opening the hood.

OP
OP
G

gtex

Enthusiast
Reaction score
might have experienced a Short Bus moment :-( I bought this bluetooth OBD adapter not long ago. my slow drain may have started about the same time. just need to make sure I don't leave it plugged in. I noticed my garage PC was connected to the adapter when the car is in the garage. oops.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the followup...I hope that's the end of your problem. If not, there's plenty of good advice above!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi