Key Fob, $160 from dealer? Options?

2005 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fellas, I do not have a Key Fob for my viper and I called the dodge dealership just to get an idea of how much one would cost he told me $160 + 92$ to program it.... although I know a fob can be programmed without having another one present.

Can anybody (vendors included) have an idea where I can pick one up for cheaper? I find it hard to believe that is my only option. I searched on Ebay but since I havent had a Key Fob when my car was delivered I have nothing to compare it too and I'd rather order one knowing it will definitely work on my car. Any help is appreciated. thanks.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search the topic, there are options. One member of the Dallas area posted about programing a new style fold up type FOB. Call VPA for an OEM one.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The $60.00 cost is about right--that's what I paid in Ga. You can program it yourself--just follow your owners manual. It worked very well for me on my 2005--Dave

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have three for my 05! I had two that came with the car, lost one of them within a day, buy a spare for $150, and then find the one that was lost in my garage. Dealer wouldn't take back the new fob being an electrical item! So, I can send you one but you will have to program it. Just PM me an offer if you are interested.

brantdw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my car with only one FOB. I bough one one ebay and took it to the dealer. This remote must be programmed by the dealer on a gen 3. I think the older gens can do it at home. It was painless and actually worked fine. The cost was under $100 for fob and programming.

OP
OP

2005 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealer did mine free as a favor, takes just a couple minutes. Dealers like yours are the reason for the bad press they get.

I wish my dealer would have offered that. I clearly did not go with that dealer. They weren't very interested in being a player in the competitive market place. I was able to pick a couple key fobs from a vendor and hopefully will have better luck programming these things since I dont have an original to go off of. The dealer will be my last place to go.

I know many people say it needs to be programmed by the dealer, but is it possible that they can be programmed by a scan tool that most mechanics have? I have a very reputable mechanic I have been taking my vehicles to for years and I would hope he would be able to do that. If not, the dealer may be my only option.

viperscott

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wish my dealer would have offered that. I clearly did not go with that dealer. They weren't very interested in being a player in the competitive market place. I was able to pick a couple key fobs from a vendor and hopefully will have better luck programming these things since I dont have an original to go off of. The dealer will be my last place to go.

I know many people say it needs to be programmed by the dealer, but is it possible that they can be programmed by a scan tool that most mechanics have? I have a very reputable mechanic I have been taking my vehicles to for years and I would hope he would be able to do that. If not, the dealer may be my only option.

ebay key fob is enough. you can buy them for 10$
any person with basic scan tool connected to OBDII and knowlegde of dodge elec. system can do it (especially with viper who has really just basic elec. sys.)
it takes 30 sec to program (if your receiver in the car is good and working - you don't know it since you got car without keyfob)
if not for free - nobody should charge you more than 30-40$
good luck

Hirkophoto

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ebay key fob is enough. you can buy them for 10$
any person with basic scan tool connected to OBDII and knowlegde of dodge elec. system can do it (especially with viper who has really just basic elec. sys.)
it takes 30 sec to program (if your receiver in the car is good and working - you don't know it since you got car without keyfob)
if not for free - nobody should charge you more than 30-40$
good luck
Got mine form ebay for my 06 and programmed it myself it's not hard.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456