2001 RT-10 Battery wont hold charge

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a 2001 RT-10. If I let it sit for more than a couple days, the battery is completely dead. It is a brand new battery. My lights aren't on and all doors are closed. Is there something that I can do to find out if something is drawing power away from the battery? I have noticed occasionally that when I drive, a high pitched tone will come out through the speakers upon deceleration. Any ideas?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Test battery, test alternator, inspect connectors...check wiring between above components if needed.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you close doors, do the inside door-handle LED's stay on? They should turn off after a couple minutes when simply shutting the door and not arming alarm. Also... when you arm the alarm, you should hear a "honk" and then after like 15-20 seconds, it should "honk" again on its own and the Dashboard LED should blink slowly. If these things are all in order, then the keyless entry module is working correctly and not a problem. If not, then check the underhood switch which tells the keyless entry the hood is closed. Pull its connector and test again.

The sound in the speakers could be a short in the stereo system wiring somewhere but the BEST bet is still to actually TEST the current draw from the battery when the car's just sitting there with no key in ignition. This is called Ignition Off Draw. This will tell alot about what type of load may be pulling current and how excessive it is.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your battery problem.

When you first installed this battery, did you put it on a Battery Tender to get it fully charged?

Also, is there a date of mfr stamped on that battery?

Does the tone through the speakers depend on the RPMs?

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
As stated below, the FIRST evidence of an open circuit on a Gen 2 alarm is that telltale LED that stays on after a minute. = "Problem" What 'coupe' said...........

And dont ASSume your 'new' battery is a good one! Did you buy a good one, like a DieHard Gold, or a cheepie? May have not hooked it up / cleaned the contacts properly..could be a 'bad' battery.

The stereo noise might just be 'some' aftermarket plug wires..... changed recently?

When you close doors, do the inside door-handle LED's stay on? They should turn off after a couple minutes when simply shutting the door and not arming alarm. Also... when you arm the alarm, you should hear a "honk" and then after like 15-20 seconds, it should "honk" again on its own and the Dashboard LED should blink slowly. If these things are all in order, then the keyless entry module is working correctly and not a problem. If not, then check the underhood switch which tells the keyless entry the hood is closed. Pull its connector and test again.

The sound in the speakers could be a short in the stereo system wiring somewhere but the BEST bet is still to actually TEST the current draw from the battery when the car's just sitting there with no key in ignition. This is called Ignition Off Draw. This will tell alot about what type of load may be pulling current and how excessive it is.

OP
OP

01viper4me

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies... The battery was hooked up to a tender when I first got it so it was fully charged. I had actually put it up for the winter and then we had some unexpected warm weather in which I decided to take her out for a spin. I forgot to hook it back up to the tender when I got back. I was going to hook it back up today after cleaning it; however, my batter was dead enough that the doors would not open. I am going to check the door-handle LED lights tomorrow and see if they aren't turning off. I don't think I have ever heard the car honk on its own 15 seconds after setting the alarm. Usually it will honk once when I lock the car but that is it... I'll check what you guys said and get back to you. Thanks for the help!

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies... The battery was hooked up to a tender when I first got it so it was fully charged. I had actually put it up for the winter and then we had some unexpected warm weather in which I decided to take her out for a spin. I forgot to hook it back up to the tender when I got back. I was going to hook it back up today after cleaning it; however, my batter was dead enough that the doors would not open. I am going to check the door-handle LED lights tomorrow and see if they aren't turning off. I don't think I have ever heard the car honk on its own 15 seconds after setting the alarm. Usually it will honk once when I lock the car but that is it... I'll check what you guys said and get back to you. Thanks for the help!

Usually it will honk once when I lock the car but that is it... That is exactly what mines will do. It honks once when I lock the door.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hmm. Interesting. I wonder if there may have been a change in the alarm systems during the years? JonB?

Mine (96 GTS) honks when I arm it with key fob. Then... about 15 seconds later it "honks" again and the dash LED blinks. Before I "fixed" my current drain issue, it would only honk once when pressing key fob button... but it never honked again and

I traced my current drain issue down to a relay on the keyless entry module which stayed energized (hood switch telling it hood was open). It wasn't allowing the car to arm. Now it's fine. ?!?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
There ARE different "honking patterns"/ light-flashing parrerns through the years. All of this is outlined in the 92-2000 student Manuals.

Our 97 honks twice (separated by 15 sec) upon arming as "coupe" noted on his 96.

Our YELLOW 01 honks once upon arming...and no honk of disarming...just as "LifeIsGood" said above.

A weak battery may make a 2001 honk with the alarm OFF when opening or closing doors!!

We NEED to hear back from "01viper4me" concerning door latch LED's...INCLUDING results of battery and alternator testing, etc.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Anytime, "coupe"...Like JonB always says "the year matters !!"

I must also add that I get a LOT of coaching from Mr. Tom Sessions on these issues !!