Gen1 dash removal and painting?

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to remove and repaint the dash on my 94. Now before I get beat up about not using the search feature, let me explain. I've searched the forums and the illustrated upgrades and found multiple post, but most are many years old and the photobucket pictures and procedure links are no longer available. As the saying goes: a picture is worth a thousand words. Can someone point me in the right direction as to how the dash is removed and a proven paint method? If you've painted your dash, can you post some pictures, I think I want to go with the satin black.

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was easy to remove, I cleaned all the gray stuff off with oven cleaner. I had body shop paint it, I went with Black satin. Body shop charged me about $200. Whiched looked to be about what they charged everyone else. Good luck. I have more pics if needed, I took this from this thread:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/649001-93-RT-10-Owner-from-Dubai?p=3013148#post3013148

And how do you remove it, you asked? What I did.... I just start unscrewing the screws, there are a couple on each side. the center console part, it pulls up, just becareful and take your time. Its easy, just start doing it, its easier than it looks, you'll have it out before you know it.

Last edited:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is now a satin black finish as above. ^ You will not regret doing it. I striped my old finish using oven cleaner, steel wool and elbow grease.....

Once clean I wiped it down with rubbing alcohol. Rattle-can flat black did the rest. Then a wipe down with speed polish... I use Honda pro polish.

Go for it! it's the best $20 you'll ever spend.

Cheers!

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep, only tricky part if there is one, is finding the button on the top of the rheostat to unhook the headlight switch, well that and putting it back without scratching it, which I couldn't do lol.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto .... no need for paint shop, spray paint works wonders. Can't believe the difference.

Be careful screwing it back together, the plastic is brittle .... anyone solve that issue or am I stuck with a forever cracking dash?

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats right, forgot about that button on the switch. Thats probably the most important step to removing the dash.... thx

When you spray your dash from a spray can. It looks like it was painted with a spray can, I didn't want that look.....sorry.

good luck!

Yep, only tricky part if there is one, is finding the button on the top of the rheostat to unhook the headlight switch, well that and putting it back without scratching it, which I couldn't do lol.

OP
OP
S

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

How many screw hold the dash on? Once I take out all the screws will it come off or are there clips also?

For anybody who used oven cleaner to remove the old paint, did you also do the bezels or tape them off?

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just removed mine today and is in my paint shop being stripped... I would say the two things most people tend to leave out is the center piece (gear shift area) needs to be popped out first because there are two screws on each side of the stereo bezel that hold the center of the dash in place.

On the doors, once you remove the first two screws you have to slide the door handle bezel towards the rear of the car and then pop outward for the third screw.

On a positive note these parts are ABS plastic. If they crack there is a product (Weld-On 1707 or 1407) by a company called APC that will fuse ABS to itself in a 24 hour period, be patient and let it fuse or it will crack again. Once it fuses you can sand it and it should be as strong if not stronger then before.

-FROG-

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be careful screwing it back together, the plastic is brittle .... anyone solve that issue or am I stuck with a forever cracking dash?

I wonder how difficult it would be to find some "stretchable" vinal, fake leather and apply it over the dash? Heck I bet some Carbon Fiber would be easy enough too, with a little time envolved...

Like these pics of kit cars - Shelby Cobra Dash: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i....,cf.osb&fp=f3a5eafd645fbd4a&biw=1603&bih=833

Here's a boat dash: http://acroadsterinteriors.com/images/dash.jpg

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder how difficult it would be to find some "stretchable" vinal, fake leather and apply it over the dash? Heck I bet some Carbon Fiber would be easy enough too, with a little time envolved...

Like these pics of kit cars - Shelby Cobra Dash: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i....,cf.osb&fp=f3a5eafd645fbd4a&biw=1603&bih=833

do a search on 3M Di-Noc - it is popular on a lot of other forums

Here's a boat dash: http://acroadsterinteriors.com/images/dash.jpg

You must be registered for see images

do a search on 3M Di-Noc, very intersting product. I just ordered enough to do a dash. It was $133 for a 48 x 72 piece

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, you guys would $hit squares if you saw my $20 dash. Good stripping, some care and good rattle can of flat black..... You guys know this is a gen 1 viper, right? It's supposed to be a basic throwback car. Ever seen a real Cobra?

How's it going sfm79? Here's mine:
I know cfiman did his too and it came out great. There's probably a dozen or two (at least) of you who know the satisfaction....

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, you guys would $hit squares if you saw my $20 dash. Good stripping, some care and good rattle can of flat black..... You guys know this is a gen 1 viper, right? It's supposed to be a basic throwback car. Ever seen a real Cobra?

How's it going sfm79? Here's mine: I know cfiman did his too and it came out great. There's probably a dozen or two (at least) of you who know the satisfaction....

I decided to wait till spring do tackle this project. The parts were too big to paint in the basement so I'll wait till I can do it outside.
Yours came out great, thanks for the updates. Did you put anything over the flat black?

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Honda Pro polish as a speed wax/cleaner on my Viper. I went over the new dash with it and the finish became more of a matt polished finish. The result was a perfect match to the sheen on the black surfaces..(doors, seatbacks etc..). I really like it and get positive comments often. Seriously, If you do it 'they' will like it, lol, the sticky grey has to go if it's damaged.

If you were closer I'd offer to help. It's really not hard to strip it and get it done...

I suspect you'll find out soon. Just do it...and use care. You will not regret!

Last edited:

Brad56

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has any one used the MIMO carbon fiber kit? Looks good in the pics but I still don't know how it looks close up.

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all:

I am in the process of refinishing my dash. I stripped the entire dash. Stripped the gray and the black. So I have a clean slate now. Did you guys shoot the entire dash in a single color/texture of black including the gauge bezels? Or did you highlight the gauge bezels with a different shade/texture to make them stand out a little?

Thanks.

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I've seen it both ways, mine is all one color, Black Satin, and it looks fine all one color. If I was to do it again, I MIGHT go with the gloss black around the bezels.........make it a little more Fancy!!

Others have said to go to WM and buy the spray paint and DIY.......I've also seen there work, and it didn't look good. It wasn't smooth/layered very well. I had a body shop spray mine, and it really looks like it came from the factory. I was really surprised how well it turned out!

Good luck with your choice. Upload some pics when your done!

Hi all:

I am in the process of refinishing my dash. I stripped the entire dash. Stripped the gray and the black. So I have a clean slate now. Did you guys shoot the entire dash in a single color/texture of black including the gauge bezels? Or did you highlight the gauge bezels with a different shade/texture to make them stand out a little?

Thanks.

aviatorone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jdeft, That does look good!!!! Disregard what I said about the, " looks like it was painted with a spray can" comment! : ) You knew what you were doing!

The ones I've seen that were painted DIY style. Were really bad.

Thanks for the pic!

How's it going sfm79? Here's mine:
I know cfiman did his too and it came out great. There's probably a dozen or two (at least) of you who know the satisfaction....

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys.....I am going the all one color approach. Using Satin Black. Going in multiple thin coat layers, and cross pattern....meaning layers of horizontal and vertical passes across the piece. It's looking pretty good so far. The only complaint I have is the occasional little piece of dust/dirty that gets in the paint. I don't have a paint booth, just my garage. Ordinarily I would wet sand with 2000 grit, to get rid of any dirt specs, but not sure that would look well with a satin/matte finish paint. I think you would be able to see where it had been sanded, and the "texture" would look a little different. Maybe I am studying it a little too close....I am looking at it under the microscope right now, but it will probably look great once re-installed on the car.

I'll post some pics when re-installed.

Thanks for all the help thus far.

48 Viper

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Ditto .... no need for paint shop, spray paint works wonders. Can't believe the difference.

I bought a fiberglass kit at the auto shop and formed a washer between the layers of fiberglass. Every attachment point, except one, on my 54K mile, 95 was cracked or broken off. Not sure if it will hold together, but it feels stronger than the stock plastic. I really don't know who though it was a good idea to put a thin, long piece of plastic across the width of a sports car, that is suppose to be driven hard. My first dash had cracked all of it's viable attachments points under warranty, so this is my second one.

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to post a pic of my refinished dash. I am really happy with how it turned out. Glad I went with the satin black. I was a little worried about whether the gauge bezels would look right all the same color. But, with the satin black you actually get a little color contrast naturally. Because of the different angles and reflection of the light, it appears that the flat dash parts are satin/matte while the curved parts around the gauge bezels appear a little darker and glossier. See pic attached. Thanks to all for the guidance. Couldn't have done it without you!

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that looks really GREAT!!! did you do it yourself?? looks brand spankin new...Kudos to who ever did it!!! Oh, and yeah your right, the gauges do contrast differently, they too look awesome!!!

jgrakla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that looks really GREAT!!! did you do it yourself?? looks brand spankin new...Kudos to who ever did it!!! Oh, and yeah your right, the gauges do contrast differently, they too look awesome!!!

Yes sir, did the work myself. It is time consuming but inexpensive. Definitely well worth it!