GEN III Spark Plugs and Wires?

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys;

In getting the car through emissions here in Colorado, I just want to be ready in case I have find issue with the stock wires and plugs when we get in there to check in a week or so. I have always had good luck with MSD 10.4mm type wires on my other hi-po vehicles. Are there an MSD set made specifically for the GEN III cars? If so part number and where to buy?

Also I am thinking I may have a cracked spark plug which is causing some slight hesitation and throwing off my car's emissions as well. I only have the following modifications:

1. Bellanger Headers
2. Bellanger Hi-Flo Cats
3. Bellanger Cat-Back.
4. Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel
5. 3.55 rear gears
6. Skip shift eliminator

What spark plugs are best to use in this scenerio with these basic mods? The more expensive the spark plug is not always better, so I am looking for right manufacturer and part number of replacement plugs. I am not hng up on cost by any stretch. I just like to do things right once, the first time.

Any help?

Thanks
Rick

limitless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i got msds from roe racing havent installed yet dont like the red color but they look high quility only problem they only come in red

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Already called Adam, they are going to ship on Monday.

Say has anyone upgraded the coil packs, just curious?

Thanks
Rick

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like there are ignition and coil pack upgrades for the SRT-10 Rams, anyone have experience with:

1. JTS Venom Performance Ram SRT-10 Coil Pack Upgrade
2. MSD DIS-4 Plus Distributorless 4 Channel #62152 (Ignition Upgrade to be used in conjunction with #62112 below)
3. MSD DIS-2 Plus Distributorless 2 Channel #62112

I would assume the parts are interchangeable betwen the SRT-10 RAM and the GEN III Viper.

Again, just looking at the options here as it is one of those things, upgrade the spark plugs, upgrade the wires, but maybe should upgrade the coil packs and upgrade the ignition as there is nothing left to upgrade in that department. Where do you stop? :)

Any experience with this stuff, just let me know.

Thanks
Rick

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have always had best luck with the stock wires and plugs on mildly modified engines. Champion PN 438's are the factory plugs.

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks DC;

So far all I have picked up are Quality wires and new plugs. I will probably stay with just that but was curious on the Digital Ignition and upgraded coil packs route. They made a big difference on the Mustangs I have had over the years though you have to watch what you get. I had a set of Screamin Demon coil pack and Livewires on one of my Mustangs and they were a lot of problems. Then again I had Accel coil packs and MSD wires on another one and they were very good. MSD ignitions have always been a hit for me out of the box. I just have not heard of anyone doing these additional types of upgrades on here so I was just curious.

I am anxious to see if my cleaning out the tank, flushing the fuel system, new wires, new plugs and a fresh 91 tank with HEET in it, will do for my emissions testing. If I still have an issue, then it would be down to an O2 sensor, a potential bad cat or maybe even a bad injector.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only time you upgrade coils is to deal with a higher compression ratio. With a higher compression ratio more energy is needed so the spark can jump the plug gap.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick, you know .... while you're in there

You'll love your new AB wires, but you might consider the ACR-X Hi-Temp wire sox to go with them? I don't think they'll help with emissions testing, but they sure are Purty :2tu:

You must be registered for see images attach

Excuse the crappy cell phone shot
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
C

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys;

I have a whopping 7,800 miles. I ordered the AB wires with the extra fitted heated socks on there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth