a little birdie says......

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Telling those that express their opinion to move on discourages those that have a different opinion from expressing themselves. I will assume this was not your intent...Stay Warm!!

:2tu:

Dude, you've been here two weeks. Relax.
That's the exact opposite of what I said.
RMPL.

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
moldowan

[h=2]
icon1.png
Re: a little birdie says......[/h]"to add a bit of credibility to my "birdie"... he is friends with Ralph Gillles and other viper engineers....just saying, but time will tell right! :) "

Even if it was true which I would bet money it’s NOT. You must be some friend yourself. Your buddy tells you something in confidence and the first thing you do is post it in a forum
:(

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, you've been here two weeks. Relax.
That's the exact opposite of what I said.
RMPL.

My apologies, I apparently misconstrued "If it bothers you to read a discussion about Vipers, move along."

How does the fact I've been here two weeks have anything to do with this?

Also, please explain RMPL - as you pointed out, I'm new...

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cost issue has nothing to do with the motor output...its everything else that will drive up the cost

1. stated use of carbon fiber for body panels

2. upgraded interior

3. higher quality materials

if there as much carbon fiber in this car as we have been led to believe it cannot be less than $120,000 and could be as high as $150,000 or more

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is carbon fiber so expensive? It isn't the materials. They're more expensive but not that much. Is it the labor? The process is similar to fiberglass molding. Maybe Vipair or someone that has it produced can enlighten us. $120-150,000 for a Dodge Viper. Pure insanity. :crazy2:

ACRsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a 200 - 300 pound reduction in weight , 60 -70 increase in HP , looks like a modern GTS ,ACR model for 135K ...hell yes i am in !!!

why would anyone accept a slowwww 150k USD 400hp R8 or a 125 k USD 991 2013 400 HP porsche and have a rough time with a 675 hp ,extreme performance snake ???

i think it will sell , just like the GC SRT8 will

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a 200 - 300 pound reduction in weight , 60 -70 increase in HP , looks like a modern GTS ,ACR model for 135K ...hell yes i am in !!!

why would anyone accept a slowwww 150k USD 400hp R8 or a 125 k USD 991 2013 400 HP porsche and have a rough time with a 675 hp ,extreme performance snake ???

i think it will sell , just like the GC SRT8 will

Yes, at least 50-100 of them will sell at that price! Too many other cars available at that price (new and used). The Viper is a (magnificient) toy, but a toy none the less. $135k (even for the ACR) will chase many buyers away--even those who can afford it.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if they dont have the price of the new viper a little(pricey) it may make the consumers think its not all that.... i know some of you are gonna think im on crack, but its true- in my mind, sometimes people want to get hammered in the wallet for something so exotic and new- if it ends up being the same price of the gen 4 or even cheaper,people might pass...:eater:

Mr. Mom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised to see some sticker shock. Look at how far the company has upgraded the remaining SRT lineup. Now look at the significant price jump those vehicles incurred.
After talking to at LEAST 2 SRT engineers myself just this past fall (including the suspension guru) it's simple logic: Better materials, better execution, higher price.
Plus, remember the Viper is the KING of the SRT stable. What would surprise me is if it did indeed come in at under $125K.

OP
OP
M

moldowan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
AHHH....... ACR steve you make too many assumptions.... it was a conversation nothing else, no mention of confidence was mentioned. It was my decision to not reveil the source because if Ralph would find out he most likely would be ********** at him, see I'm not an azzhole as you assume i am. how much money would you like to bet me? remember to assume is to make an ass out of............ LOL

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
moldowan

[h=2]
icon1.png
Re: a little birdie says......[/h]"to add a bit of credibility to my "birdie"... he is friends with Ralph Gillles and other viper engineers....just saying, but time will tell right! :) "

Even if it was true which I would bet money it’s NOT. You must be some friend yourself. Your buddy tells you something in confidence and the first thing you do is post it in a forum
:(

this......

and who knows who is that Moldovan snitch anyway??????? Not even a VCA member, what credibility??????

On the other hand maybe they haven't fixed the price yet and they're checking us out to see what we think, instead we should sream it is too high :2tu:

Don't worry we'll know soon enough....:headbang:

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can anybody even begin to guess at whether they would pay that MSRP or not?? If the car is worth it then yes I would pay that. If it turns out to be just a Gen4 with refined interior and a 25hp bump, then of course I would not pay it.

Either way Dodge has ensured that I will not buy a new Viper no matter what the MSRP is. They waited WAY too long to release any form of information on the product. They might think this builds anticipation(which it does to an extent), but too much anticipation is not good for business. I just got sick of waiting on something that seemed like it might never come, and instead acted on my impulsiveness and just bought a nice Gen3. Maybe in a couple years I will upgrade to a Gen5 but by then it will be too late to sell me a new one, because there will be nice used ones on the market already. Some good information and pictures of the final product may have fought off my impulsive nature and convinced me to wait around for the Gen5 and buy it new. Unless of course the final product isn't much to write home about, then it would make sense to keep it under wraps for so long.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can anybody even begin to guess at whether they would pay that MSRP or not?? If the car is worth it then yes I would pay that. If it turns out to be just a Gen4 with refined interior and a 25hp bump, then of course I would not pay it.

Either way Dodge has ensured that I will not buy a new Viper no matter what the MSRP is. They waited WAY too long to release any form of information on the product. They might think this builds anticipation(which it does to an extent), but too much anticipation is not good for business. I just got sick of waiting on something that seemed like it might never come, and instead acted on my impulsiveness and just bought a nice Gen3. Maybe in a couple years I will upgrade to a Gen5 but by then it will be too late to sell me a new one, because there will be nice used ones on the market already. Some good information and pictures of the final product may have fought off my impulsive nature and convinced me to wait around for the Gen5 and buy it new. Unless of course the final product isn't much to write home about, then it would make sense to keep it under wraps for so long.
Well now that former Gen 3 owner has some cash to put towards his new Gen V

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Allpar site is speculating the new Viper will be about $137,000. If true, that's way too much for me - even if I buy used in several years. I think I'll just keep my '03. Got to have a drop top anyway.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

So you were going to buy a possibly 130K car, but because you couldn't wait bought a 40K car.
Gotcha.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you were going to buy a possibly 130K car, but because you couldn't wait bought a 40K car.
Gotcha.

Possibly yes. I had never considered the MSRP in the first place. I have wanted a Gen3 since their release and that's what I was planning for, but then the "rumor" of a Gen5 being built came out, so I waited a bit to see what kind of specs, looks, etc it would have. After waiting for so long it seemed like it was just a rumor, or that the release would be too far away anyway, I just stuck with my original plan and bought a Gen3. Which was a 50k car btw, not that it's even relevant. If the Gen5 turned out to be as sick as the rumors said it will be, then I would've suffered one more summer without a car and bought the Gen5. But Dodge gave me too little too late, and here I am with a Gen 3.

You're obviously not an impulsive person, so I wouldn't expect you to really understand.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are so many little birdies out there over the last few months, that the only thing anyone can believe is that the *** is being stirred with anticipation. My little birdie , who also is very, very close to Ralph about split a gut when he heard of the 136K pricing. We picked him up off the floor and gotta believe he wasn't laughing because he thought the price was a reality. I personally commend SRT , as they have been the quietest about this machine over any model I can remember and it has done nothing but drive interest at very little cost.

My guesstimate is the price will go up just a bit, but the option list will increase even more. No little birdies or anyone else has told me a thing, but common sense tells us all that over the past 3 years we have seen a dramatic change in how one could get a Viper. With more models, more paint , more options, the days of 3 colors and identical upgrades are over. We will see more and more Vipers very distinct as the way they are optioned will make them more personal. The rumors of Carbon Fiber and other items have everyone in such a frenzy , it conjures up ideas of 2900 lb cars with prodigious hp. Like one comment, I would take a new Snake with less weight and a small increase of HP over one that was just all HP increase ( it is a torque monster anyway as we all forget). The torque curve will tell me alot more , as this is where the Viper has always shined , almost to the point that we don't even bring it up too much ,as we know it is our advantage over other makes.

Whether birdies are singing or squawking , it does appear to keep things interesting, and when AllPar is searching for information so hard it takes it off of rumors on this site, it bodes well that SRT has done a great job staying silent and building demand. Does it make you want to go to New York to see for yourself --- dang it does for me and I plan on making the trip.

Overheard Ralph suggesting a 3699 upgraded interior and wondering if folks would buy it, while off in a corner of the room , finishing his 14th Coors light, Bubba was heard saying, " Damn, I heard Ralph say something about the car being 136,999 with a nicer interior." Let the rumor begin.............................

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're obviously not an impulsive person, so I wouldn't expect you to really understand.

Pffttt. That's a good one. You're an impulsive beginner.
You're talking to a guy who traded in an 09 ACR for a '10 ACR because I got sick of the color in six months.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pffttt. That's a good one. You're an impulsive beginner.
You're talking to a guy who traded in an 09 ACR for a '10 ACR because I got sick of the color in six months.

Nice. Well then I guess the sarcastic comment was for a reason other than misunderstanding.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
For that money, it better have MR shocks, Dual Clutch transmission, and a decent interior.

Greekislandsurf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is carbon fiber so expensive? It isn't the materials. They're more expensive but not that much. Is it the labor? The process is similar to fiberglass molding. Maybe Vipair or someone that has it produced can enlighten us. $120-150,000 for a Dodge Viper. Pure insanity. :crazy2:
Composite materials have dropped in price over the years, but there are other factors involved here. A company that manufactures composite materials will give large discounts to companies that have large orders and go through a lot of material, such as Boeing and other aerospace companies. Smaller orders (building Vipers) will cost more plain and simple. The new Viper body will not be a bucket and brush bregade, but most likely a pre-preg material. Another concideration will be if the materials they use will need to be cured in an autoclave or Out-of-Clave materials. Engineering costs for design and tooling, freezers to store materials, clean-room environment to lay-up these parts etc...etc...etc.... Technology costs $$$$$ and this is just the shell, the rest just keeps adding up. Who do you think will be paying for all this technology? There's my two cents....from the new guy...:D

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotcha.

Reading comprehension test. The top has got to go down. And yes, if $40K is nearly as good as $120K I's buy used, I'll have a lot of company with older Vper owners and a lot more money in the bank. If I had just spent $90K for a 2010 would I be 50K better off than my old car? Of course you may have a lot more money to spend - nearly everyone I know has more than I do!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reading comprehension test. The top has got to go down. And yes, if $40K is nearly as good as $120K I's buy used, I'll have a lot of company with older Vper owners and a lot more money in the bank. If I had just spent $90K for a 2010 would I be 50K better off than my old car? Of course you may have a lot more money to spend - nearly everyone I know has more than I do!

Let me dumb it down for you.
Nobody who could really want and afford the new Gen 5 at possibly 130K is going to run out and buy a Gen 3 out of frustration at not seeing a picture of it.
Sorry, that's ludicrous.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
M

moldowan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL canadian venom......... you crack me up!
the person is an aquaintance not a friend. I just used the word buddy but didn't mean it litterally sorry to upset your sensibilities so much!!
as for viper club of america...yes i USED to be a member...don't think the cost was worth the magazine IMO-LOL And i am on my 2nd viper, currently an '09 viper ACR bought from TOMBALL and has 3,000 track miles on it now.

Last edited:

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me dumb it down for you.
Nobody who could really want and afford the new Gen 5 at possibly 130K is going to run out and buy a Gen 3 out of frustration at not seeing a picture of it.
Sorry, that's ludicrous.

And you just said you traded one year ACR for another a year newer? So we are clearly not in the same league spending wise. What I am saying is that many of us can't afford to buy a new viper and that is why we buy used. And there are quite a few new Vipers for sale at thousands less than the sticker. While I might like to upgrade, I don't see a newer car being that much better than my old car. But you're right, most of the folks who can spend upwards of $100,000 for a new car aren't going to buy a used car like mine but some might buy a low mileage '08-10 and I hope that serves to keep the price on used Vipers up. And yes, there will be some folks who have the latest and the greatest most up to datest car around. But I want a car that I can put the top down on and even if I was willing to spend $100,000 I would not buy a new Viper for that reason. I think there are a lot of other folks out there who think in roadster terms too though I suspect Dodge will sell all the new cars! After that who knows. I am not a GM fan but I think Corvette has been pretty smart to have several levels of Corvette with even the lowest level being quite a car. I'd sure be interested in a 6.1 hemi Viper for around $60,000. Purists would say it is not a Viper but I believe the new 6.1 would have almost equal performance to the Gen 2 and Gen 3 cars.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper