New Barracuda....

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://blogs.motortrend.com/detroit...-dodge-challenger-with-a-barracuda-20329.html

DETROIT — The 2012 North American International Auto Show has barely opened to the international press, and already the hottest rumor on the show floor is that Chrysler/Fiat is working on a replacement for the Dodge Challenger. It will be called Barracuda (though probably not Plymouth) and could be ready in time to launch for the original’s 50th anniversary, which would be a couple of months before the Ford Mustang’s 50th anniversary in April 2014 and the launch of that new car.Two unimpeachable — though not inside — sources have told me about the Barracuda. The Dodge Challenger is the most literal interpretation of its ancestor. Because it uses the Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300 platform, it has the high front cowl of those two large sedans, and so its overall length is considerably longer than the 1970-74 Challenger, which already was the biggest car in its class. That Challenger shared its platform with the 1970-74 Barracuda, but with a stretched wheelbase.
The ’74 Challenger was followed by a Mitsubishi-sourced coupe because it needed to be more fuel efficient to get through mid-decade gas prices. There is no way to follow up the current Challenger without either changing everything but the sheetmetal, or fully redesigning it to make it look nothing like the ’70-’74/’08-current model. If Chrysler is going to redesign it, why not make it a radical departure?
A 2014 Barracuda would be much shorter, lighter and smaller overall than the current car, something we’re hoping to see from the 2015 Chevrolet Camaro. It would not use the new Charger/300′s LY platform, but would be on a shorter rear-wheel-drive platform, probably something closer to the Hyundai Genesis coupe.
What makes this scenario economically plausible is that such a platform also would serve Alfa Romeo well, with a new moderately priced RWD platform for a sports car and sports coupe. The question is whether the platform would package a V-8 for the Barracuda as well as a small, high-output and probably breathed-on turbo four for Alfa.
The Dodge Challenger launched in the 2008 model year, which means a five year cycle would end with MY13. A new Barracuda would launch in the 2014 model year. Ford plans to unveil an all-new Mustang in Spring of 2014 as a 2015 model. The original Mustang made its debut in April 1964 at the New York Auto Show as a ’65 model.
One source speculates that the new Barracuda would borrow a number of cues from the original, fastback Valiant model, all the way through the 1970-74 model, when the Barracuda converged with the Challenger and no longer used the Valiant platform. Will the new car be a fastback, like the 1964-66 model, or a notchback, like the ’70-’74, or both, like the ’67-’69?
We’d bet on the notchback, at least, because it would make it easy for Chrysler to do a convertible as well, a better way to compete with Mustang and Chevy Camaro.

Read more: http://blogs.motortrend.com/detroit...ger-with-a-barracuda-20329.html#ixzz1l5WYDLKY

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Would like to see them keep the Challenger and build the 'Cuda.

That would be some pair ....

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Why Why do I envision a new body style based on the
Mitsubishi coming up? Oh... right... because they already
have the Camery designer on payroll...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no such thing as a plymouth barracuda anymore. kinda like having a 4door,hemi charger daytona. it annoys me....should have called it something different. why ruin a grat name like the charger with that ?

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
probly be a challenger base, turned into a differant interior, nose and rear- along with minor tweeks in the metal- money saver and something new, i love my challenger but its getting old- these are fast days and the honeymoon is over for the callenger.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I say the rumor is false. How does it make sense as a business plan to betray/abandon a growing Challenger following. Maybe they will bring back some sort of "Barracuda" named vehicle but it will not be at the expense of the Challenger.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Cuda' name was always more highly regarded in performance circles than the Challenger and a fresh new SRT Cuda' would be awesome but I'd really like to see an all new sleek mid engine car about 45" tall for $50-60k. Heck if Porsche can do it around $50k why can't Chrysler. These Legacy/Heritage cars are great but let's see some all new ideas that will having people standing in line !

Chrysler ME412

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ME4-12, should have been the new Viper...with mid enigined V-10 of course. IMHO

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those figures don't jibe with these reflecting a plummeting love affair :eek::eek::

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/dodge-challenger-production-totals-2008-2012-a-68401/

Otherwise as a biased Challenger owner, I agree with you. There is also a ton of info on the Barracuda at the same website.

I recently read that according to a JD Power Survey of car owners that the Challenger ranked #1 out of all cars for loyalty. Something about "how happy are you with it" and "would you buy another one?" The Challenger was #1. Maybe I will search for the study.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently read that according to a JD Power Survey of car owners that the Challenger ranked #1 out of all cars for loyalty. Something about "how happy are you with it" and "would you buy another one?" The Challenger was #1. Maybe I will search for the study.
A lot of that loyalty is because the car is basically in a class all its own (LARGE, 2-door modern American muscle with funky colors if desired!).

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly ( and I may not), the Challenger and Porsche were tied for number 2.

The Chevy Volt was number 1 - really!!

BUT it hadn't sold many cars at the time and those who bought were green freaks - so that one doesn't really count, especially now with the battery/fire issue is heating up.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Admit it... When you heard that they were reviving the Challenger how many of you immediately thought that you'd rather see the Cuda' come back ?

:ponder:

Anybody know how many 70-74 Challengers vs Barracuda's produced ?

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Cuda was a better looking car. I did like the Challenger, but I never liked the Challengers that had the full body side stripe as it made the rear of the car look strangely low. Now you can get a new Challenger with a similar stripe--doesn't look good to me.

Autoform has several bolt on body pieces that make the new Challenger look more like a Cuda.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
never liked the Challengers that had the full body side stripe as it made the rear of the car look strangely low. Now you can get a new Challenger with a similar stripe--doesn't look good to me.

First thing I did to mine was removing the moulding.Second thing was removing the vinyl roof and repaint the car blue.Never liked that hemi orange colour.The Cuda looked beefier and more musculine next to the Challenger.I did like the Chally though,had it for 8 yrs.

Car is about two weeks old here
You must be registered for see images

Two years later >

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I located one on my ride out yesterday that included a stop at my favorite Dodge dealer in Vero Beach.

Last edited:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something no workey....

I located one on my ride out yesterday that included a stop at my favorite Dodge dealer in Vero Beach.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr. Norm's has also built a Cuda for Chrysler auto show purposes. Think he has some for sale.

Car looks really cool as a 'Cuda.

Also built a convertable version...sweet

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
All the convertibles were built by a company in Florida, not Mr. Norm. He sold convertibles with his name on them the actual conversion was done by said Florida company. We actually sold 6 of them and they were pretty well done for an aftermarket machine.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are those plastic appliqué faux gills on the side of a 60k car ….. fail :nono:
Yes they are . . . . and easily removable to pass. The rear is buggered up too as they covered up the backup lamps with a mylar 'Chrysler' sticker. Guess they figured you don't need them.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think the 'cuda will be a style package for the challenger but you will need to order the biggest engine to have the 'cuda option....i think that would be perfect and possible

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235