old tires

cweaver22

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2005 viper with 26,000 miles on it. the rear tires are brand new but i'm not sure if the front tires have ever been replaced. there is still some life left on them but i read in another thread that old tires can be just as bad as worn tires.

is there a way to tell by the numbers on the side of the tire when they tires were manufactured?
should i replace them?
the back tires are kuhmo ecsta and the fronts are michilins, if i replace them should i get matching kuhmos?
if i keep the fronts, does having different brands in the front vs. the back matter?

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd swap the Michelins for a pair of fresh Khumo's that are a match for the rear tires.

JustinB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the actual age using the link above and even then I agree with CEJ, just match up the Khumo's

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got my '05 and found '09 tires on the front and '08s on the rear. All corners have plenty of tread, but how do I tell if they are hockey pucks or still okay?

Thanks,
Bryan

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get Kumhos for the front. They will outperform any other tire, and match what you have in the rear. They're not terribly expensive either. I'm running the 295/35/17's.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Kumho is going away as a supplier of Viper tires, so you should check quickly with Tire Rack, VPA, etc. to see if you can grab a pair.

Otherwise the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport is out and it may pay just to get a new, full set.

Good luck.