Cheap Racing Helmets

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As you all know..The NARRA has a couple of Track events scheduled for VCA Members this year; so if anyone would like to attend but needs a racing helmet, here's the place to look. After countless hours searching on line for helmets, I was shocked to find out how much a helmet would cost ( they range from $300 to $900 ). I was finally able to find a website that had a reasonably priced helmet. The helmet can be found at: saferacer.com and it's called: Zamp (model# FSA-2 SA2010 / Part# H714035L ), the helmet lists for $169 ( brand new ) with free shipping, but you can use a discount code:( sm0125xrp ) and get %10 off. This helmet is Snell Rated and complies with the SA-2010( year) specs. If your not sure what size you need, you can use a tape measure to measure your cranium and compare it against the size chart located at the bottom of the page or when in doubt you can always call customer service and they will walk you through the process...I hope this info works for you...Be Safe!!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Def not a bad price at all for someone starting out or looking for a 2nd helmet for passengers:2tu:

The best thing to do though is to try on various make/models and purchase the one that fits Your head best. Also, different helmets can be lighter which translates to less neck strain fatigue while tracking and have better cooling to keep your head cooler also reducing fatigue.

Some will say its like buying a pair of shoes. If you were a runner you woulnt just look online and pick the cheapest ones. You go to the store and try on a few pair to see which one fits the best;)

FYI: HelmetCity.com offers a discount for VCA members.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would not put a 169.00 helmet ever on my head- you get what you pay for- my head is worth more- dont cheat on safety gear,cause if you have to use it,you will wish you had the best-

OP
OP
J

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with ya..Dom426h...It's a great price on a helmet for a beginner or for someone looking for a passenger helmet. More than likely; once I get some track time under my belt I'm going to invest in a better helmet and use the old one for the passenger...But for now, I think this one works.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would not put a 169.00 helmet ever on my head- you get what you pay for- my head is worth more- dont cheat on safety gear,cause if you have to use it,you will wish you had the best-

If all you are talking about is safety then you are wrong. ALL helmets that go through SNELL certification are run through the Same tests. In reality, a cheaper heavier helmet could have tested better than a thinner lighter more expensive helmet but all that You know is that it PASSED.

The You get what you pay for mentality applies to the items that i listed in my 1st post

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If all you are talking about is safety then you are wrong. ALL helmets that go through SNELL certification are run through the Same tests. In reality, a cheaper heavier helmet could have tested better than a thinner lighter more expensive helmet but all that You know is that it PASSED.

The You get what you pay for mentality applies to the items that i listed in my 1st post
go ahead then, put a 200.00 helmet on your head, im gonna wear a 900.00 one...;), a 100k viper with a 200.00 helmet?

Voodoo Rob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I raced semi pro and pro motorcycle road race and did sprint, 4 and 6 hour endurance races. I spent hours upon hours in many different helmets. The cheaper the helmet the heavier it is and the grade of optics thru the shield declines in relation to the price. A $150 Snell helmet is the same safety wise as a $600 Snell, but the comfort and fatigue of the helmet factors into the overall performance, that performance lets you concentrate on the task at hand. Don't forget the built in venting!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 Rob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its ashame the folks around here with "more dollars than sense" that reinforce the prejudice of us being rich snobs.
(FYI; i wouldnt have said that if someone didnt follow up my educational post with nonsense that they already said once before like a parrot)

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rob nailed it. I also did the motorcycle thing for a while and the one time I crashed pretty bad, I had my head/helmet bounce off the pavement. I had a good helmet on and barely had a headache. If endurance and comfort are important, go with a good lid. If you are looking for something to throw on for a short period, get something that is safe and low cost. Like most people said, whats your head worth? I was very glad that I had a $500 Shoei on when I crashed.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just remember. We are not talking about motorcycles here. This is a Viper coupe with pretty good roll over protection, at least a three point harness and an air bag, plus OP is talking about 20 minute HPDE sessions when considering endurance. I don't see that his and other's suggestion is imprudent at all. Yeah, I bought a Bell helmet because that brand has a good reputation as far as I know; so, I figured it is more likely to be a quality piece. The price was a little more than the OP's suggestion; but, it was not expensive. I do not think that I went cheap.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also agree with Rob. I've owned and raced street bikes for over several years. A great helmet makes all the difference. All Snell rated helmets may pass the quality standard but do not have the same fit finish and feel. I own 3 helmets and all are over $750. I get told by other people who don't ride that i spend to much on my helmets, i just ask them how much they value their own head or lives.
My helmets are Arai, Suomy, and Shoei. In the order that i like the best. Just my 2 cents

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They don't call them "Brain Buckets" for nothing........

Think of it this way, maybe you could have avoided the accident if you had a lighter helmet to limit fatigue, offer better visibility or stay in place better because of fit and finish.

Even a 20 minute HPDE session stresses ones neck if the driver is not in "racing" shape, by the 3rd or 4th session of the day most beginning drivers are completely exhausted.

Cheers
George

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My cheaper previous helmet (around $200) was heavy and I could feel the neck strain after a 20 minute track session. Newer helmet is around $500, much lighter, and better optical clarity through the shield. I barely notice it, even after a full weekend of racing.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Rob has this one down solid. For those on the track in a Viper ( the ACR still shows the best lateral g force produced in Road and Track specs if I remember correctly) a heavy helmet will definitely cause fatigue faster than you expect. The strain on your neck, especially since a beginner is unlikely to have harness belts , can be really a bear after a day or two. Keeping your head up and your eyes ahead is part of the manta to go faster, and a better , lighter helmet will ease the fatigue factor and make the track time more enjoyable.

Bruce, you don't need a helmet on the street , you don't go fast enough ------- sorry, buddy, I just couldn't resist, have a good weekend!!!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No joke, but I think in at least California it is illegal to drive a car on the street with a helmet on.....don't remember where I saw that maybe somebody else can confirm.

George

Only here in CA, where a helmet would be illegal on the street and a factory stock exhaust would be too loud at the track................

On the original note, I must admit I didn't get the most expensive and lightest helmet. A simple fact that everyone (except Bill) is overlooking, is that a lighter helmet will be less likely to cause neck injuries. Your head will accelerate violently in an impact, mass x acceleration = force.

A 1lb object at 100mph carries over 300ft/lbs of energy. Now you know why pro racers use carbon fiber.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456