New Viper during the Super Bowl--lost opportunity

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Chrysler (SRT) blew it by not advertising the new Viper during the Super Bowl. That new NSX looked wicked... When do you get an audience that large at the same time that is wanting to watch commercials?

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed - however they could have least put "SRT" with the other logos in their "2nd Half" commercials...

I agree. Chrysler has never been very good at advertising anything but the minivan or the K-car. One example was in the late 80's when they sold the Conquest Tsi and I never saw one advertisement for it while at the same time every other ad on tv seemed to be for the Mazda RX-7 which sold like hotcakes.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 million bucks for 30 seconds to advertise a car that is going to sell out anyway, I don't think so. Loved the corporate ad with Clint!

$3 million is chump change compared to how many people they could have reached. It's also a brand image thing. SRT Viper with all the SRT vehicles.

They need to start promoting the SRT brand and maybe the SRT vehicles won't sit on the car lots for months at a time. I also thought they wanted to sell more Vipers to a wider demographic??? Missed opportunity in my opinion. (They will just take that $3 million and give it to the CEO as a bonus instead)

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just business, you spend your ad dollars on the stuff you need to promote when it's a million dollars every 10 seconds. They don't need to promote the Viper, it will sell itself. And I don't think SRT cars are sitting on the lots. I think the Jeep is already sold out.

Golfer15

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe Eli could have gotten the keys to a Gen V when they're ready !! Could always do it for next year.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you see how excited Eli was to get the Vette :rolleyes:I think he would have been happier with a Toyota :crazy2:

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping for an outline @ the end when Clint said "the world is gonna hear the roar of our engines" and then a startup of the new motor. Would have been completely badass

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just business, you spend your ad dollars on the stuff you need to promote when it's a million dollars every 10 seconds. They don't need to promote the Viper, it will sell itself. And I don't think SRT cars are sitting on the lots. I think the Jeep is already sold out.

My wife and my brother both bought an new 2010 SRT-8 Challengers last April. The cars were a year old. Sticker prices around $46K and they paid $37K brand new. A couple years before that my brother bought a new SRT-8 Super Bee that had been on the dealer's lot for 10 months. He got almost $10K off the sticker. So, this has been our experience with how quickly SRT's sell. I almost bought a Challenger this summer that a different dealer had for 10 months. He finally sold it recently... There is still a 2011 green SRT-8 Challenger on a dealer's lot in the town next to where I live. It has been there since last spring... Maybe the new Jeeps are selling, but the others... Maybe a little advertising would help. :)

Last edited:

Mr. Mom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess I'm one to disagree on this.
Not sure they need to advertise the SRT Viper to millions upon millions of SB viewers when there will be so few of the cars produced. Mainly because I expect to see every one of the Gen5's sold before they even complete the production cycle.
On the other hand, the other SRT vehicles MAYBE could've gotten a mention, but again, we are still talking about a niche market even though far more will be built. I remember asking the question about advertising and was informed that there will not be many campaigns focused on their niche vehicles because they are not for everyone. Just for those more currently in the know.

Sounds like they already have a good idea who will be buying any of the SRT vehicles.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me and my 9 years of business education and double that in real world experience crazy. ;)

I guess my wife who is a Strategy Manager with a Fortune 100 company is wrong too as she was the first one of us to notice Chysler's lack of exposure and it losing the possibility of making a big "Chrysler Splash" with the new Viper. People are still taking about the Super Bowl commercials today!!! That residule "FREE" advertising only happens once a year. So, a 30 minute spot really turns into a lot longer spot as the spillover in the days that follow continues for free! Let's see... what genius company needed a bailout from taxpayers to stay afloat??? Chysler has always been poor at advertising and this is no exception.

It's all about brand recognition!!! Get your brand out for people to see--be it Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, or SRT. It all matters. At least they had an ad with Clint Eastwood so I will grade them a "C" for Super Bowl advertising, but they could have made a big splash. Who's winning the current GOP Presidential race??? The guy with the money who is advertising the most. Selling is advertising, not waiting for people to come by your product.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a missed opportunity. They could have added an outline of the Viper GEN V, a sound clip of the new motor and the SRT logo at the end, all without adding any cost to the commercial or increasing the time slot. When SRT is your pinnacle of engineering, technology and your offering, it is ridiculous to not incude it. Love the commercial as was produced, but it was a missed opportunity. The Viper comeback was the one really down and out but prevailing.

Ralph mentioned that the airwaves need to be clear for t Dart. The Dart was not even pictured. Sorry but again, it was an opportunity missed for both.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a lot of the SRT vehicles are sitting on the lot because of the economy. A lot of people simply can not afford them right now. A commercial wont change anything... only getting rid of the Marxist in the White Hosue along with all the other career political clowns in Congress. Other car manufacturers are dealign with the same issues and will be. I am sure the NSX will be a very limited production car that willl end up with quiet a few sitting on the lots. They may look good but they wont hang performance wise with many of the cars out there... especially in that price range.

OP
OP
G

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Around here the economy is pretty good because Caterpillar is doing well. Our housing prices barely moved during the decline the last few years and are actually picking up some steam. Things are pretty good in Peoria right now... Lots of new cars all over, but most people have no idea what an SRT is, what it represents, why it is special, etc., because Chrysler does not advertise SRT products well if at all. Friends look at my wife's SRT-8 Challenger and ask what the SRT-8 emblem on the back means--serious. Most people just don't freaking know, period.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if they are not car people they will not know what an SRT is no matter how many times you put a commercial up. People who tend to buy SRT vehicles already know what an SRT is.... because they are car people and want a high performance car. Go to any car show or Cars and Coffee type event and people there will know what the SRT line is. Go to church on Sunday morning and there will be a lot of people there who dont know... and dont care. Advertising only goes so far. My wife is a great example. She is in the advertising industry yet anytime a car commercial comes on she zones out. Now if it is a Vistorias Secret commerical or any type of make up commerical she is all into it... and I will zone out... except the Vistorias Secret commericals. :2tu:

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Copied from my post in the other SBowl ad thread:

This is the new SRT, and I think they're looking to establish themselves as a brand apart. For instance, I'm sure everyone noticed that there were zero SRT vehicles in the SBowl ad; the other brands literally cannot use them for promotion. Hence you see the R/T Challenger, etc.

SRT wants to be seen as AMG is; the upscale everything within a parent company's brand(s). Without question, more power and performance. But also upgraded interiors and non-performance content.

Their budget will be lean. I imagine that SRT will launch their brand identity campaign with the introduction of the new Viper. They'll try to capitalize on the media and social network buzz to make their own statement. I hope they keep working with whichever ad agency is doing the Dodge work... I think those have been fantastic campaigns.

I talked with SRT's VP/Marketing while at SEMA, very interesting.

Rich

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting info RW99.

I assume that SRT is two steps ahead of your thoughts georgethedog.

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have watched a few SBs and have never seen a commercial for Lambo or Ferrari but have seen many for GM, Hyundai, etc.

I for one would rather have SRT/Viper thought of in the first category, not the second.

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
'Now if it is a Victorias Secret commerical ....' let 'em 'borrow' a new Gen V silloutte.. or GTS.. lol.. curves on Curves !
Ralph's 'beautiful woman on a beach'..... or on a Viper.. ?? get a little creative..

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have never seen a ZR1 commercial yet they sell plenty of them. i have to imagine SRT is way ahead of me on this advertising stuff and had a reason not to do it during the SB.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as most of the world, they think the Viper line ended 2 years ago. I would have loved to see a Gen V commercial because you reach so many more people than you will at an auto show in New York (I'm in Texas). If I wasn't a member of this board I would have to wait for one of the magazines that historically bash the Viper to do an article.

When I got my wife's Plum Crazy SRT-8 Challenger it was April of '11, and got it for $38K. I think people were waiting for the 392 Hemi to come out, and that's why there were 2010's still on the lot. The exact thing has happened with the 2009 and 2010/new Viper, so releasing information about something bigger and better is a bit of a double edged sword. The reason there was never a ZR-1 commercial is because there is such a hugh following of devoted Corvette people, and the magazines rave about it. Any SRT vehicle compared to a Chevy in a magazine is garbage and way over priced, yet when you open the first page there's a 2 page ad for a Chevy...imagine that.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was watching the game with the internet sales manager of one of the local Hyundai dealerships. She got 60 emails DURING the game for inquires on cars. Definitely a missed opportunity to establish the SRT brand.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was watching the game with the internet sales manager of one of the local Hyundai dealerships. She got 60 emails DURING the game for inquires on cars. Definitely a missed opportunity to establish the SRT brand.

I'd say that we're talking completely different audiences. Superbowl = The Masses = Hyundai = Chrysler group = Chevy trucks = Acura. Roughly.

SRT = The Enthusiasts. And to a certain extent, we buy SRT product because The Masses don't: we buy the non-Corvette. The non-Mustang.

But I would've LOVED to see a Viper tease/SRT brand introduction. High stakes spending on the advertising front, but unmatched exposure. Oh, well.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say that we're talking completely different audiences. Superbowl = The Masses = Hyundai = Chrysler group = Chevy trucks = Acura. Roughly.

SRT = The Enthusiasts. And to a certain extent, we buy SRT product because The Masses don't: we buy the non-Corvette. The non-Mustang.

But I would've LOVED to see a Viper tease/SRT brand introduction. High stakes spending on the advertising front, but unmatched exposure. Oh, well.

Disagree.

ALL of the Hyundai commercials were promoting their new R-Spec models (performance models) and the new Velostor TURBO. I would say those cars are more enthusiast driven models than regular Hyundais

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...but who in America buys a performance car from Hyundai? I don't know the answer to that; maybe it's a surprising number of people?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh