does the brakes on srt-10 have cotter pins?

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bleed my brakes last week while checking my pads. noticed there was no cotter pins to hold the 2 rods in. checked the parts manual and there is no picture of a cotter pin.

does the srt-10 have no cotter pin on the brakes? what prevents it from falling out?

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only the e-brake calipers have the cotter pins in them.
The regular calipers just use the two pins. Between the pressure form the metal plate between them and the little "ring" on the back side of the pin, they aren't going anywhere. That is, as long as you're sure you got them FULLY bottomed out when you put them back in.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been cases where the pins have come out, not sure if it was due to wear or improper installation. If that happens the pads can go shooting through the top of the fender. JonB at PartsRack used to sell (not sure if he still does) modified pins that have a locking mechanism. I think he said they were off a Ferrari or at least copied from one.

OP
OP
A

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good to know. thought the last guy forgot to reinstal my pins.

punched both pins back in. leaving only a little sticking out. is that ok or does the whole pin have to be all the way in?

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good to know. thought the last guy forgot to reinstal my pins.

punched both pins back in. leaving only a little sticking out. is that ok or does the whole pin have to be all the way in?

Give them a knock with a hammer and a punch from the back. You'll know when they're all the way in.

OP
OP
A

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
didnt feel anything when they went back in, just loose unitil reaching the other end.. just took my punch and hammered both pins in till i saw it on the other side.

guess ill have to check them tonight. drove it for 2 days no problem. hopfully its not sliding back out and i dont have to get new ones.

went to the dealership the other day to get 1 lug nut $16 and a plastic screw to the air cover $14.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got those same plastic screws from a Ford dealer. They are used on some Ford car and I think they were less than $2 each FYI.

OP
OP
A

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mad0953 do you have a parts #? im also looking for the retainer clips for the rear bu lights. it cost $8 each here which is insane. know anywhere else that is cheaper?

towdawg thanks. i didnt feel any difference so ill take it back on the hoist and try again to be safe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets