ACR-X Brakes

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know several other guys either have done or are in the process of doing this upgrade.
After trying it on the track, I couldn't recommend it more....

I got some ACR-X Brembo front rotors and PFC pads from Jon B. Also got some new Stoptechs with Mintex pads for the rear. (I was replacing slotted Eurotech rotors) I was able to try them out on my last track date of the year at Road Atlanta...

They were awesome to say the least!!!!! There is more "range" in the pedal. Pedal feels firmer and therefore more confident going hard into the corners. You thought it was fun to pass other type cars in the braking zones because of our brakes before, this set up is even better..:D

These are the new Brembo X- rotors. You can see the additional rotor surface area compared to the new Stoptechs...

xrotor1.jpg

xrotor2.jpg

On the left are the PFC pads for the new X-rotors. They are next to some OEM size Mintexpads.
MORE pad contact surface and MORE rotor contact surface = MORE
BRAKING....:headbang:

xrotor.jpg

I am using the new rotors/pads with Titanium pad backing plates, braided brake lines and the ACRX brake duct system.

fascia7.JPG

fascia8.JPG

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those do look awesome. At the last Texas Mile event, the ART 1800 car was sporting a very similar style of rotor. They were Brembos and had that "C" insignia on them.

The ACR-X aluminum hat is smaller since the rotor disk area is bigger. How much heavier are they than the ACRs? I am sure performance is offset, but I am just curious.

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those do look awesome. At the last Texas Mile event, the ART 1800 car was sporting a very similar style of rotor. They were Brembos and had that "C" insignia on them.

The ACR-X aluminum hat is smaller since the rotor disk area is bigger. How much heavier are they than the ACRs? I am sure performance is offset, but I am just curious.

To be honest, I didn't weigh them for an exact number but there wasn't a big difference.
The X Brembos are a little thicker too...

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like the brake cooling ducts but am not willing to hack the front bumper cover to accomodate.

Bruce

ACR steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bruce, you can use the stock fog light holes and my brake shrouds that are for sale in the classifieds ( same ones that Treesnake uses)
( sorry for the self promotion) :)

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THIS MAY BE A STUPID QUESTION BUT.......
Are they the OEM calipers?
Can you put a larger pads in them and thicker rotors too?

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More rotating mass?

I didn't actually weigh them. I know they felt very similar in weight to Stoptechs. To be honest, I figured that what is good for the X, is good for me

i like the brake cooling ducts but am not willing to hack the front bumper cover to accomodate.

Bruce

It is a big cut and I was nervous about how it would turn out.

After it is done, I don't think it's that noticable........ IMO

http://javascript<strong></strong>:;

THIS MAY BE A STUPID QUESTION BUT.......
Are they the OEM calipers?
Can you put a larger pads in them and thicker rotors too?

Yes, they are OEM calipers and everything fits. Even with bigger pads and rotors. You will need to completely compress the caliper pistons though

Viperizer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
TreeSnake.

Those look awesome..can you share the part numbers for the front and rears? I didn't see them on the X models on thier site. Would like to order those....Thanks! Ron

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Love that color combo too.

Considering doing the same thing, have all the parts front ducts, CF caliper duct ends, support brackets and have installed the brake lines, just haven't got to it yet.

How did you limit the steering wheel travel after installing the new CF brake ducts to the back of the caliper assempbly?

What do the Brembo rotors cost up front (approximately) each? Also, are the larger brake pads about the same cost? Haven't purchased these yet.

Suggest you keep an eye on those PFC pads as they are very ******* rotors.

Any idea what this upgrade does to your front down force? Time to add the upper ACRX canards?

Nice install.

Dan

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to install steering limiters on the steering rack to prevent the ducts from being crushed.

Considering doing the same thing, have all the parts front ducts, CF caliper duct ends, support brackets and have installed the brake lines, just haven't got to it yet.

How did you limit the steering wheel travel after installing the new CF brake ducts to the back of the caliper assempbly?

What do the Brembo rotors cost up front (approximately) each? Also, are the larger brake pads about the same cost? Haven't purchased these yet.

Any idea what this upgrade does to your front down force? Time to add the upper ACRX canards?

Nice install.

Dan

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT did not use the fog light holes as they are a low pressure zone and supposedly did not flow enough air. I guess you could try but this is why the didn't do it from the factory.

Not trying to kill your self promotion :) just trying to make sure he understands that they are intended to be used with the brake ducting.

Bruce, you can use the stock fog light holes and my brake shrouds that are for sale in the classifieds ( same ones that Treesnake uses)
( sorry for the self promotion) :)

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tree,

Is it safe to assume you are going to have the only X with A/C :) Did you purchase the radiator duct shrouds? It will help control air flow. Also, the factory holes for the factory brake ducts should be closed as it will create a lift affect on the front end.

Install looks great, can't wait to see your other future mods as well.

fascia8.JPG
[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tree,

Is it safe to assume you are going to have the only X with A/C :) Did you purchase the radiator duct shrouds? It will help control air flow. Also, the factory holes for the factory brake ducts should be closed as it will create a lift affect on the front end.

Install looks great, can't wait to see your other future mods as well.

[/QUOTE]

No sir, AC is coming out. underdrive pulley going in. I have no intentions of driving around the track with the windows up.....:rolaugh:

Yes, I have the radiator shrouds and the ducts are blocked off. This brings up a question I have had, does the little OEM brake duct shroud keep the aero "lift" from happening on 99% of all Vipers ? I could modify mine some and still use it????

My car went into the shop last week and the body is completely off for the 10 pt. cage install. I am getting fitted for seat position on Monday. New clutch/ flywheel, new 5th and 6th gears in trans., Quaiffe, ported heads/intake. Going with complete mono ball front end with spherical A-arms. Relocating shock mounts with Comp cpe. brackets. These CnC'd parts came from Jeff Stout and DMS. Plus I just got three big boxes from Tom Francis...:D

Hope to get it back in 4-6 weeks....

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow car looks amazing love that color combo what the rotors cost

Nice install.

Dan

TreeSnake.

Those look awesome..can you share the part numbers for the front and rears? I didn't see them on the X models on thier site. Would like to order those....Thanks! Ron

ACR-X Brembo rotor assembly.........$1275.00 front set

PFC 7781 pads................................$295.00 set

Stoptech SRT/ACR rotors.................$725.00 rear set

Mintex F2R pads..............................$265.00 set

I got the above parts from Partsrack

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are those factory part numbers for a x car? factory parts also?? brake pads im asking

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome, as for the little ducts. They will help but won't fit. You need to make a block off plate and attach it to the bumper cover. It is the easiest way.

No sir, AC is coming out. underdrive pulley going in. I have no intentions of driving around the track with the windows up.....:rolaugh:

Yes, I have the radiator shrouds and the ducts are blocked off. This brings up a question I have had, does the little OEM brake duct shroud keep the aero "lift" from happening on 99% of all Vipers ? I could modify mine some and still use it????

My car went into the shop last week and the body is completely off for the 10 pt. cage install. I am getting fitted for seat position on Monday. New clutch/ flywheel, new 5th and 6th gears in trans., Quaiffe, ported heads/intake. Going with complete mono ball front end with spherical A-arms. Relocating shock mounts with Comp cpe. brackets. These CnC'd parts came from Jeff Stout and DMS. Plus I just got three big boxes from Tom Francis...:D

Hope to get it back in 4-6 weeks....[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Treesnake, awesome. Just one question, why didn't you just buy an ACR X?

I have been asked that a couple of times...

My answer is somewhat similar to F8L SNK's.... I looked at the X cars and the price tag. After really looking at the cars and their construction, I decided to build my own. Not that there is anything wrong with the design of the ACR-X, I just wanted something different. I have, and in the middle of doing some extensive mods on my other cars and I was looking forward to this one.

For starters, I got a great deal on the car. I mean a GREAT DEAL....:D
I don't plan to run wheel to wheel or drive in any point racing leagues. That being said, the first thing I wanted to modify was the cage. I am going to use a smaller, yet lighter and stronger chromoly tubing. I am installing a 10 pt. roll cage like the X, but mine will have different contact points and will be fitted to the car a little different.
Some of the bigger things I am doing different is in the suspension. Basically going with a monoball front end.
I am installing a spherical shock relocation kit. The A-arms have been machined and fitted with low friction upper and spherical lower ball joints. Adjustable drop links and Delrin sway bar bushings. The suspension will be modified to the point that I will be going from 1100# springs in the rear to 800# and 550# springs in front to 1000#. In back I will use a Quaiffe diff.
As far as the engine and transmission, I also plan to use a ported intake and heads. I am looking into a new type of tuning system but that will come later. For now I will use the Mopar race controller. A BBG clutch/flywheel with a 5th and 6th gear modified 6060 trans.

With all of the above, believe it or not I could add a Gen 2 for backup and will still be under($) a new ACR-X...:)

Viperizer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tree, I going down the same path as you, just a toy to play...to be honest.. the interior door handles in the X sorta showed me the lack of thought put into the car...I am making some spherical control arm " Bushings" 1 7/16 diameter, making a center stop/reducer bushing that will stop/ center the balls to the correct depths in the arms, then a couple snap rings on the outer lips hold everything in place. Is that how you did yours? Any input from someone that has been down this road would be great! Can I ask where did you get your Delrin sway bar bushings....cant seem to find those. Did you make your own adjustable links? Thanks

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tree, I going down the same path as you, just a toy to play...to be honest.. the interior door handles in the X sorta showed me the lack of thought put into the car...I am making some spherical control arm " Bushings" 1 7/16 diameter, making a center stop/reducer bushing that will stop/ center the balls to the correct depths in the arms, then a couple snap rings on the outer lips hold everything in place. Is that how you did yours? Any input from someone that has been down this road would be great! Can I ask where did you get your Delrin sway bar bushings....cant seem to find those. Did you make your own adjustable links? Thanks

Call Snakeoyl Products they have everything you will need. Thet already build control arms with the parts that you are seeking.

Viperizer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Call Snakeoyl Products they have everything you will need. Thet already build control arms with the parts that you are seeking.
Thanks 911..Gave them a call...no one answered the phone..there was a message for collectors choice or something..not sure. I did look at thier site tho...I am afraid the things I need would be way out of the range of what I can justify for the project...besides I enjoy doing everything myself..only one person the blame if the part fails then...

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
collectors choice is snake oil also- just so you know,same people

OP
OP
treesnake

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The more I looked into using monoballs, the more variables I found. Like you said, size, depth, retainer machining etc. all come into play and are very important. That's why I went with someone that has experimented with all of these parameters. I don't actually know the exact size of the specific parts used. It is one of those things that I rely on their experience and success on the track and am thankful they took the time to help me. The brackets etc. are CNC'd in house. The titanium retainers are also machined and fitted in house.

I can appreciate your wanting to do it yourself. I am going to rely on their R and D. I am not that patient with myself. They told me they have a stack of parts that after machining and testing didn't work. I would probably have an even bigger pile of parts w/o any where near the resources....:dunno:

Let me know if I can help with any info...

Viperizer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Tree, those are really nice looking pieces. Gives me some ideas. The reason I believe there is a lot of rejects in the arms is due too the bushing holes are not a constant, some may not be useable due to the bushing "bores" not perfectly aligning with each other, this is not a issue with the rubber bushings cause they give enough to slide the bolts in place, what you have now has no give, I am going to rebore to a little larger hole..thanks for the pictures!!
Here's a pic of the billet handles I designed for my car..I anodized them red so that they can be seen easily inside or outside the car...made a nice little billet bracket to hold the handle, then a little adjuster for the cable slack, added the rubber boot for a finishing touch...I will post some pics of the control arms when I get them done..working on some adjustable links right now...I need to make that cut in the front cover, bought a wing and splitter from VipAir...with the brake cooling ducts....it was nice to see your pictures...talked to Mike at Brembo today..got the part numbers for the X rotors , I ordered the stoptech rotors for the rear..getting there slowly...fun project tho...what did you do for motor mounts?

DSC03903.JPG

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tree, those are really nice looking pieces. Gives me some ideas. The reason I believe there is a lot of rejects in the arms is due too the bushing holes are not a constant, some may not be useable due to the bushing "bores" not perfectly aligning with each other, this is not a issue with the rubber bushings cause they give enough to slide the bolts in place, what you have now has no give, I am going to rebore to a little larger hole..thanks for the pictures!!
Here's a pic of the billet handles I designed for my car..I anodized them red so that they can be seen easily inside or outside the car...made a nice little billet bracket to hold the handle, then a little adjuster for the cable slack, added the rubber boot for a finishing touch...I will post some pics of the control arms when I get them done..working on some adjustable links right now...I need to make that cut in the front cover, bought a wing and splitter from VipAir...with the brake cooling ducts....it was nice to see your pictures...talked to Mike at Brembo today..got the part numbers for the X rotors , I ordered the stoptech rotors for the rear..getting there slowly...fun project tho...what did you do for motor mounts?

Can you post the part numbers for the Brembo rotors please?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten