Thread: 2002 RT/10 Squeaky Hartop

Reply to Thread
    Viper Owner

Default 2002 RT/10 Squeaky Hartop

I just purchased my RT/10 in Florida and drove it home to Oklahoma. Had a wonderful trip, and the car did great. When I got home I removed the top and then put it back on, and ever since then I get a bad squeaky sound coming from the rear latches. Does anyone have a fix for this?
    Last edited by gjgoodman; 02-10-2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Tried to fix the misspelled word in the title. Sorry!

Enthusiast

Default Re: 2002 RT/10 Squeaky Hartop

Mine does the same thing. I have just learned to live with it. I would be open to suggestions for a fix also besides just trying to push down harder on the rear latches.

Enthusiast

Is this the regular 1-piece hardtop that looks like a toupee on the top of the viper or do you have one of the other aftermarket tops (like the 3-piece trunktop)?

Viper Owner

The rear latches will squeak if they are not fully engaged. Since you drove the car on a long (and I imagine very fun) trip w/o squeaks, make sure the rear latches are seated and the latch has closed. You can feel the end of the rear latch from the underside of the sport bar pad to verify the latch has closed fully.

Viper Owner

It is he "factory" hardtop. By the way, it was the most exciting drive I have ever done. The time just "flew" by!!!

Enthusiast

I only used my factory hardtop on a few drives, so I don't remember any squeaking, but I'm going to render a wild ass guess...the rear hinge mechanisms (2) that lock over the pins when the hardtop is in place have a rubberish coating/covering that wears off over time...maybe the metal on metal rubbing of the hinge and the pin are causing the squeaking. I'd try to reproduce the covering and see if that helps...maybe just add a few wraps of electrical tape to the pins for a quick test.

Enthusiast

try a quick search, this topic came up a few years ago. I dont remember all the details, however there should be a screw that determines how far the latch travels before it engages. An adjustment on this screw will allow you to get a tighter or looser fit of the top on the car. This should eliminate the squeaking.

Enthusiast

Here's one...

squeaky hardtop

Enthusiast

"I removed the top and then put it back on, and ever since then
    I get a bad squeaky sound coming from the rear latches. Does anyone have a fix for this?"

Headers, RT high flow cats and a muffler delete.

Viper Owner

Hey, thanks for all the answers. I am going to check the rubber on the rear hinges, and also see if there are any adjustments. If those don't work, I will try what was suggested in that other forum. Thanks for all the advise, I will come back and give updates on this situation.

Viper Owner

congrats and looking fwd to your update

Viper Owner

Ok, just an update. Took the top off and noticed the rubber on the latches was worn off pretty good, and metal was exposed. We decided to trim it up, and then re-wrapped them with heavy duty electrical tape (actually looked pretty good). Did not see any reason to re-adjust the latches because they seem to be hitting right where they need to be. Waiting for the rain to stop so I can go test drive and see if the squeak is gone. Hopefully will update by the weekend if the weather cooperates.

Viper Owner

my hardtop did the same thing in the rear, and the front latch on the drivers side would come loose while driving. once even while I was going over a bridge and suddenly seen sunshine coming in under my roof !!!! that was a close call !! I had a reach up and hold onto the roof until I was able to pull iver and realign the latches !! I went straight home and readjusted all the latches on the roof. the front latches are east to adjust. there is a nut thast controls how deep the latch goes so with a few turns that was fixed. The rear was a different story. they were a little out of adjustment but the rear issue was that i was installing it WRONG !!!!! you have to make sure you are spreading open the rear hindge while you latch it down. I didnt relise i was driving around with the rear latches not engaged !!!! with a little adjusting and installing it correct there is no wind leaks and no more noises coming from the top at all !!

Viper Owner

Craig_g

Thanks for the info. I am waiting to drive it after the couple of changes I made. I probably need to make sure I am installing it correctly. I will check the adjustments if it is not fixed.

Viper Owner

if you need anymore help let me know !! and congrats on the purchase !!