Official 2012 Tail of the Dragon Thread

bboyer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tail of the Dragon plans are complete! All you need to know for now is to make that reservation! Remember, you can always cancel, but may not can book that riverside room when the plans are released to other states later this month. Any overflows can stay at Jim & Shirley’s place (club discount is $300/night for one room…bring your own sheets).

Greystone Lodge in Downtown Gatlinburg June 1-3, 2012

1-800-451-9202

Std King Deluxe (1st floor, balcony on river)
Thu $68 $77
Fri/Sat $77 $90

http://www.greystonelodgetn.com/greystonerooms.htm

Here is the tentative schedule of events:
2012 Tail of the Dragon

The following is the initial general itinerary of the 2012 Tail of the Dragon Run. This annual event draws participants from several states and appears to be growing every year. We'll try to change a few things this year to keep it hopping, but some things will never change! This is based on past experience, with delays built-in that will allow us to stay on schedule and possibly add a site-seeing stop.

Friday June 1st Knoxville->Cherahola Skyway->Tail->Gatlinburg (Atlanta, GA & Cleveland, TN meetups planned too)
9:00am Earlybirds begin arriving to eat, gas, meetup
10:15am LEAVING ******* Barrel to Cruise to Cherahola Market/Exxon
11:45-12:15pm Arrive Cherahola Market/Exxon, meetup with southern members, get gas/lunch @ market or Tellico Grains Bakery (Group will be ordering ahead)
1:00pm Cherahola Skyway to Robbinsville, NC
3:15pm Arrive at Deal's Gap, meetup with GA/SC members
4:00pm Tail of the Dragon @ Deal’s Gap
4:30pm Photo Shoot @ Tail End
4:45pm Cruise to Gatlinburg via Foothills Pkwy
6:15pm Check-in at Greystone Lodge
7:30pm Dinner in town (walking)

Saturday June 2nd Pigeon Forge->Smokies->Pigeon Forge->Gatlinburg
8:00-9:30am Breakfast, car cleanup, gas
9:30am LEAVING for Mountain Cruise (Lunch @ Wildwood Grill in Fontana Villiage, Fontana Dam stop, Tail of Dragon)
5:00pm Return to room
6:15pm Leave for Pigeon Forge (circle back for official Parade!)
7:00pm Parade
7:30pm Dinner @ Cherokee Grill

Sunday June 3rd G'burg->Home
9:00am Breakfast
10:00 TBD group cruising/drive home

Last edited:

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were a few of us last year, that stayed at the exit where ******* Barrel is on Thurs eve. Country Inn Suites, maybe??

We just booked our room.

OP
OP
B

bboyer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks GREAT! One question though. What's the Tail of the Dragon ? :D :lmao: :think: :tz: :slap:

One of two things:
1) An eleven mile road in North Carolina that reduces the life of your turn signals by 318 uses each time you run the road.
2) The end that's not spitting fire when your wife is mad at you.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be there in my old '94. I cought up to you kids the last two years, for a few minutes... but never tried to meet up. (I've been hittin' the 'Dragon' this weekend every year 10+...) Bikes, cars, whatever...

Great spot.

OP
OP
B

bboyer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
****************** N O T I C E **************************

OFFICIAL REGISTRATION SITE:
http://3199996.polldaddy.com/s/viper-tail-of-dragon-weekend-june-1st-3rd-2012

Use this link to a survey to register your intentions. It's not binding, just a barometer for meal reservations and contact information. You will also get a emailing of the final details packet with the special tips need to make the trip nicer (call-ahead food ordering, driver's spacing rules, etc...)

As an added bonus, the first 10 registrants will receive the honor of saying "I was in the top ten of the 2012 Viper Run of the Tail of the Dragon....".

Last edited:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm booked for Sat night. I know this is really a local club run but I've been rolling down to the dragon for 15 years on this date..... see you guys there. I'll likely be with a friend (who drives a little mercedes)...

Cheers

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm booked for Sat night. I know this is really a local club run but I've been rolling down to the dragon for 15 years on this date..... see you guys there. I'll likely be with a friend (who drives a little mercedes)...

Cheers

Not a "local" club run by any means. We usually have 7-10 states represented here. Non-Vipers can participate but request they stay out of the "pack", out of respect to the club and keeping the Vipers together as much as possible.
Non-VCA members are welcome too, they just don't receive any of the club benefits and/or freebies that might be part of the event.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there cops?.....................:eater:........We have some great mountain roads here in Colorado,.......but there are also cops...........................I think that's why I started going to the racetrack........no cops.....

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just gotta get there early enough.
Plus there aren't any roads that run "into" to Dragon, and it's about 10 miles in TN and 1 in NC. The NC cops are never there, so you start on the NC side and go through. If you didn't pass any cops in there or going in, you turn around and run the hell out it back towards NC. You know there's no way that any are in there because they would have had to pass you going the other way to get in. :)

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there cops....

Plenty of cops on the Dragon these days. They station two on weekends, one on weekdays...... The place is not what it used to be!!!! (Bummer, IMO) I remember back when the speed limit was 55 and the place was owned by bikes. Guys were carrying stopwatches and radios.....and this is a public road!! Crazy $4it was going on and it was just plain fun for most. But people died and word got out about the place.

These are public roads. There are cops. Enough said.

The Dragon is a great 'tight' road but the Skyway is where the Vipers can open up a bit, IMO. Big swepers, big views and decreasing radius curves keep it fun... ... but not in big numbers. I like to drive alone there.

Cheers!

Last edited:

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bboyer-Check out the video just posted from 2011. Think thats your car! Only Viper I know of with purple and green color scheme! Pretty sweet!

hermanisky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will Be there with my Wife.....bringing Guest!! My daughter and son-in-law and two sons with their Maserati Gran Turismo.Also our friends Mike and Sandra with their Porshe Carrera. Tried to register them but alas the site would not allow. Please add them (total of 6) their hotel reservations have been made.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna be posting hotel info for Thursday night if anyone wants to stay at the exit we leave from Fri. morning. Me thinks it in last years thread.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pulled it from last years thread. From what I remember, it had been renovated and was very suprised how nice it was.
I haven't called for reservations yet. So, hopefully, info is still correct

Comfort Suites Knoxville - West
811 North Campbell Station Road
Knoxville, TN 37932
(865) 675-7585

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are meeting a ******* Barel on Friday at 9 am correct? Does anyone know the exact address of that location. We will be arriving Thursday night in Gatlinburg and driving to Knoxville to meet up with the group.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are meeting a ******* Barel on Friday at 9 am correct? Does anyone know the exact address of that location. We will be arriving Thursday night in Gatlinburg and driving to Knoxville to meet up with the group.

We did that before. It's much easier to stay Thurs at ******* Barrel exit. It'll take you 1.5 hrs probably to get to CB from G'burg.

CB is exit 373 I think. Campbell Sta. Rd.

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really! that long. I figured it was only about 43 miles from Gburg to Knox. If so, will be a fun drive anyway! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper