pouring seafoam. where is pcv line?

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
about to do a seafoam and techron treatment since i have very noisy lifters. its louder then the exhaust at idle.

im looking for the pcv line. can anyone direct me to where it is? i see a line in the throttle body and one in the intake.

also for putting seafoam in the engine. how long should i wait to get a good clean before the change?

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have aftermarket roller rockers? Take your valve covers off and see if your rockers are hitting the baffles.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What year?
How many miles?
What oil have you been using?
Do you track your Viper?

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Putting Seafoam or anything else through the PCV doesn't seem like a good idea as it is not likely to be evenly distributed among cylinders and may even cause hydrolock if you get too much in one cylinder which will cause even more problems. If your tapping is louder than your exhaust, you have other problems. As some of the other folks said, check the top end first. You can put a ratchet on the crank and roll the engine through to check rocker clearance on each cylinder. If this is beyond what you feel confident doing, have the car towed to a mechanic you trust.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
A

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ill post a audio clip up later. i was thinking it was sticky lifters

40k mile
mobil 1
never tracked the car but i ran some quarters when i got it.
stock heads

there is also a spray type seafoam that i can spray into the throttle body.
car has about 2k since last oil change and has a leaky oil cooler line that im changing soon.

i was hoping that dumping half a can of seafoam in the oil, bottle of techron in the gas and seafoam spray in the throttle body plus clean it with mopar cleaner would solve most of the problem.

im also changing the belt and oil right after i dump all that stuff in the car.

OP
OP
A

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here is a link to the sound. i walk around the the car and i pop the hood. at that point you can here it more. this is after a 30min drive.

in the morning from cold start the exhaust is loud enough that i cant really hear the engine but once i quiets down i hear it.

does anyone else have this loud of a sound?

http://soundcloud.com/jason-vong/recording2

Last edited:

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly, without hearing it in person, it doesn't sound any louder than normal.
Have you had the car a while and noticed it has definitely gotten louder, or is it pretty new to you and just has you worried?

OP
OP
A

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had it for a year. it was not as loud as when i got it. that chug chug chug sound is starting to irritate me.

i was told by dodge it could be sticky heads to a pulley but could not pin point the problem unless i paid $200 inspection and its not even by a viper tech.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What viscosity Mobil1 are you using? I agree with TowDawg that is doesn't sound unusual.

I'd hold off on the seafoam. If you're running Mobil1 I doubt that you have gunk built up in your engine. Are there any Gen III owners near you that could listen to your Viper?

Sticky heads? I think I'd keep the $200 and not take it back to that dealer.

OP
OP
A

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10w30

i live in vancouver so vipers are rare. would be great is anyone here on the forum live in lower mainland and could meet up.

brantdw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine sounds the same. No ticking until the engine is warmed up. I keep hearing that its not a problem. I dont think the seafoam is a good idea either.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
agdetail, I'm in Vancouver and could take a look at your car.If the weather is fine in the weekend to drive your Viper, I could meet you at a shop where I keep my boat at.It's on Graybar Road in Richmond at Shelter Island Marina. I would hold off the seafoam scenario. I have around 30K miles on my 99 and there's no lifter clatter! Listening to recording #2 ,it sounds like no preload on the lifters and the rocker arms making a racket on the valve tips.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vancouver gts, sent pm. would be great if i could meet more viperclub members in vancouver.

have a bunch of small issues in my car and hope that i sort them out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62