Another fuel filter PITA thread

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I just got done putting a new fully built motor into the car and was moving on to putting a new fuel filter and pump in. I have read the other threads on the topic and saw that it could be challenging. I figured after all the other stuff I'd just done it couldn't be that bad since I was prepared for it. I WD40'd the crap outta it, and removed the rear fender lining for better access, and have the quick disconnect "tool". These should all make this go smooth right? Not the case @ all. The ******** ****ing top connector will not come off. I have the black plastic fully pressed down to the metal and it will NOT release. What are my options? I'm about to cut the ****ing thing out. I will @ least feel better. I have the top side of the hose disconnected as well as I'm doing the pump as well but it seems like there's a clamp somewhere I can't see. Then I could just pull the whole damn thing out and burn it.:mad:

OP
OP
M

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I removed the line and the filter from the car and the ****ing thing still won't come apart. **** this POS

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
DO NOT damage the line between pump and filter since they were in very short supply several months ago.

Try a REAL penetrating oil such as Kroil, Schaffer's Penetro 90, etc...apply and let it work overnight...and take great care to keep the release ring
(black plastic) perpendiculat to the long axis and not tilted.

This whole process .issed me off so much last year, that I have a full set of fuel lines (from pump tp engine) in the garage hanging on the wall so that I can practice from time to time. And even after doing so, new lines can be difficult with them on the workbench using proper tools. Therefore, I usually ask Tom Sessions to do all of our fuel filters. What a pain!!! By the way, there are two different pump-to-filter lines for Gen II's...early and late. Good luck !!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a filter last year and have been starring at since. I've had a really bad experience in the past on a different car. This just reinforces why I have not done it yet. Good luck , let us know when you figure out the trick.:crazy2:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
....BUT WAIT...there's more. !! After successfully installing the new OEM filter and testing it by powering up fuel pump/starting engine...re-inspect for leaks...not only at the connectors...but also the filter itself since some OEM filters have been shown to leak through the seam !!! Bummer !!

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel your pain.....I imagine this is not helpful, but when I had the same situation, I just kept coming back to it for days, trying pretty much the same thing 2 or 3 times a day and, after perhaps 30 tries, it just came off. I don't know why or what I did differently but what seemed like impossibility just popped off. The fittings are "quick-connect" to make it easier/faster for the Conner Avenue crew, they should be called "impossible-disconnect" to reflect how it is on all of us when we try to change 'em.

OP
OP
M

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally got it apart while I was really just trying to break the damn thing sitting in my living room. i knew i could get another line from VPA so i didnt care anymore. There's 0% chance that it would have come part while on the car. I'd recommend pulling the whole line to anyone instead of bull****ting under the car for hours. All you need to do is cut a piece of tape up by the fuel bucket that holds the line to another one and it will come out

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was lucky when swapping mine. The guy that was helping me replace mine had been a yard dog for many years. He was a **** at dismantling. HOWEVER…that didn’t stop the fuel line from popping off the new fuel filter after work one day. There was a huge puddle of petrol under my car before I noticed the smell. Why are these fuel filters fitted with quick disconnects? It’s not like you change them every 3,000 miles! Why not use a compression fitting or something?

Seriously though MTGTS…when you put the new one on, make sure you get it on there snug. It was embarrassing when the fuel line popped off the fuel filter at work…and reading around, I’m not the only guy this has happened to.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Scott makes a great point...take great care upon connecting lines...go by feel, hear a click, visually inspect it to be sure line is well seated and release ring in proper place, tug on it and re-inspect, and after a run-cycle.... re-inspect!!!!

Tom Sessions checked one for me while after installation using a bore-scope with a large image screen...found a leak with pump powered up...leak was through filter seam as mentioned above.

hemihead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a filter last year and have been starring at since. I've had a really bad experience in the past on a different car. This just reinforces why I have not done it yet. Good luck , let us know when you figure out the trick.:crazy2:

Funny, I bought one from Chuck about a year ago and I'm still starring at mine too! I think it's going to stay on the shelf for now, I have enough things to pi_ _ me off without adding another.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was lucky when swapping mine. The guy that was helping me replace mine had been a yard dog for many years. He was a **** at dismantling. HOWEVER…that didn’t stop the fuel line from popping off the new fuel filter after work one day. There was a huge puddle of petrol under my car before I noticed the smell. Why are these fuel filters fitted with quick disconnects? It’s not like you change them every 3,000 miles! Why not use a compression fitting or something?

Seriously though MTGTS…when you put the new one on, make sure you get it on there snug. It was embarrassing when the fuel line popped off the fuel filter at work…and reading around, I’m not the only guy this has happened to.

I had that happen too. Other than that part of the experience I didn't have too much trouble getting the old one off and the new one on.

OP
OP
M

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you take the hose and filter completely out of the car putting them back together is easy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960