837 mile 94 Viper

//M5Guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am considering the purchase of an original owner 1994 837 mile Viper from a private collection. The owner has records for yearly oil changes, oil filter and brake fluid change every five years, and a new battery two years ago. Everything else is original, including the tires. Besides for new tires and possibly new radiator hoses, is there anything else you think I should do to it before I used it as a weekender? He said he bought hard windows aftermarket and misplaced one of them. Are they still available? I'm going to look at it this weekend. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The head gaskets on Gen 1 Vipers (92-96 RT/10s) are defective. You'll most likely have to replace them at some point. Around $2k at a dealer for parts and labor. If you go with aftermarket gaskets, its much cheaper. Contact Dan at Viper Specialty for the aftermarket head gaskets.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, just curious but how much is that car selling for? I've seen some before, but it's still not too often when you see any Viper with under 1,000 miles. :)

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What Speed said.... and it's likely the hard windows you have are no longer made but it depends on what brand/model you have. (There are several companies who made hard windows for gen 1 cars). If you really plan to use it just as a weekender the the original 'emergency' top and side curtains will be fine. Good luck with the purchase. If you buy it, be sure you know the correct way to handle the hood....

Cheers

OP
OP
M

//M5Guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, just curious but how much is that car selling for? I've seen some before, but it's still not too often when you see any Viper with under 1,000 miles. :)
No I don't mind, 36.5k. I got a call from the owner that it sold this morning :( I now want to set my sights on a GEN II GTS because I've been told, that they have good headroom for tall people. This '94 was relatively close by and I realize from my months of looking I may have to travel to find what I want.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That 94 you missed is probably not the best driver for that money and as a collector car people seem to seek out the 92's so don't feel too bad. It depends on what you want to do with the car.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure you would have enjoyed it, but there are definitely better buys out there. Although the GEN I will always be collectible, if you're looking for something to drive a lot and have fun with, I'd honestly only get a 95 or 96 if I were going to get a GEN I since you don't have to worry about all the annoying window issues. If you have the money and are just looking for a GEN I to hold value, than I would only look to purchase a low mile 92 considering it was the first year of the GEN I.

I personally have a GEN II, mine is a 96 B/W GTS and I love it. It can definitely be hard to find the right car local though, so you will most likely have to look else where and consider having the car shipped to you. I had mine shipped from Detroit, but I was also very fortunate to have a VCA member in the Detroit area nice enough to go take a look at it for me before I bought it. :)

No I don't mind, 36.5k. I got a call from the owner that it sold this morning :( I now want to set my sights on a GEN II GTS because I've been told, that they have good headroom for tall people. This '94 was relatively close by and I realize from my months of looking I may have to travel to find what I want.

Last edited:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd agree that it depends completely on how you plan to use the car. My RT/10's roof has been on the car once since I bought it. The windows have never been in since it came here. "Real" windows don't show up in an RT/10 until 1997. Mine is a fair weather toy...it's not going out in the rain anyhow.

I have both a '96 RT and a '00 GTS and never noticed (perhaps because the roof is never on the RT) a head room problem or major difference. Perhaps guys taller than 5'11' can speak about that.

I had a '94 years ago and sold it. From that day on...I missed it. When I was able to get another RT, I only wanted an early car. Some folks that think a '92 is the best bet, but they're costly and don't have A/C.
(In fact, when shopping...all the really low mileage early RTs did not have A/C..and that's probably why they're low mileage.) Unless having the first year is important to you...it's more affordable to get a '94, '95 that looks almost the same.

When I was looking, lots of folks tried to talk me out of a Gen 1 and into a Gen 2 RT. While I appreciate the differences, like roll up windows, the later Gen engine's higher HP, etc..I really wanted the earlier car interior with no air-bags, no windows, etc. The '96 has the earlier interior, no windows, smooth hood, engine of the early car...but the GTS suspension.

Price of the car you missed? Probably a little high, but there's a premium for the mileage. The fact that it was all stock is important in my opinion too as Viper parts are expensive.

Good luck in your search...there's one out there for ya.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4