Ometer 8243 Factory Fit NAV/DVD Replacement Stereo Headunit.

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All done. Ometer is working great, no Bluetooth issues and the maps came right up. Seamless streaming from my Droid, using the built in shuffle. Also installed an MGW shifter and a SickSpeed shift knob. Knob is a little low but I'm getting used to it. Love the MGW, smooth and short. The shifter install is not easy, you have to lower the transmission about 5 inches and the front two bolts are a blind remove and install. Was sore this morning, stinks getting old. Here are pics of the car/stereo. The shift knob has the same pattern as the car :)
You must be registered for see images attach

Oil change next weekend then a thorough cleaning and time to drive!

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All done. Ometer is working great, no Bluetooth issues and the maps came right up. Seamless streaming from my Droid, using the built in shuffle. Also installed an MGW shifter and a SickSpeed shift knob. Knob is a little low but I'm getting used to it. Love the MGW, smooth and short. The shifter install is not easy, you have to lower the transmission about 5 inches and the front two bolts are a blind remove and install. Was sore this morning, stinks getting old. Here are pics of the car/stereo. The shift knob has the same pattern as the car :)

Oil change next weekend then a thorough cleaning and time to drive!

I did the MGW install today putting the car on jack stands. The front two bolts are very difficult to get off/on. Took about three hours from start to finish.

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay, new game to play with your Ometer. Pick a stretch of road, I chose my 3 mile drive to work. See how many times you can get the GPS unit to say "You are exceeding the speed limit". We need to tell the manufacturer it's in a Viper, exceeding the speed limit is what it does. :drive:

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, new game to play with your Ometer. Pick a stretch of road, I chose my 3 mile drive to work. See how many times you can get the GPS unit to say "You are exceeding the speed limit". We need to tell the manufacturer it's in a Viper, exceeding the speed limit is what it does. :drive:

You can turn that off. It is in the Nav settings under warnings. I also found my unit has three passwords. 1111111 will get you into change the logo that comes on when the unit is powered on. 777777 will get you into the system for the computer settings. Anyone know what RADIO ARE is? It is currently set to Europe, but there are many to choose from, including two USA1 and USA2. I tried to google it and nothing came up. The third password was 999999 and that is where I found to turn the brake ground off. There are a few other things in there also.

So far, I like it for a head unit upgrade. My only issue is the clock will not go to 12/12 settings, it displays in 24hr. I tried to change every setting for the clock and still will not change. The GPS is in 12/12, no issues there. Only the one that is displayed on the unit when the radio/CD/DVD/BT is on.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have issues with BT dropping the signal and not reconnecting unless you turn the car off and back on? Mine is a Gen4 so maybe some with that? Also picks up a lot of static sometimes using the BT. Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm using iPhone as play device.

Randomaccess

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a chance to really use the GPS... I seem to be having an issue with the audio... She starts really LOUD then trails off to very low volume when announcing directions... Anyone else have that issue?

No issue with audio from other sources like radio, Bt streaming, dvd, SD card etc... Just the GPS.

Rolling Thunder

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just finished the install of the new unit from Ohmeter. Only problem was trying to remove the pins to swap the speaker wires. After about an hour and sore fingers, just cut the wires and spliced them. Fit was perfect -- no need to cut anything -- just had to make sure the two plastic pins lined up before pushing it into place. Rosco, I have turned the unit off and on several times and my BT is auto connecting every time. Not sure why your new unit does not. I have an Iphone and '09 vert if that makes a difference.

Overall, very happy with this purchase. Much better than stock unit. As long as this thing doesn't break any time soon, looks like this was worth the money.

Rolling Thunder

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One minor irritation about the new model I got is the start up screen shows "Chrysler." I read Rosco's post about changing it by using some file, but don't want to mess with that so I don't run into the problem he had with the UI reset. Any way to get at least a "Dodge" startup screen just using options already on the unit? Vic -- where do you enter the "1"s -- is there a "Dodge" option?

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One minor irritation about the new model I got is the start up screen shows "Chrysler." I read Rosco's post about changing it by using some file, but don't want to mess with that so I don't run into the problem he had with the UI reset. Any way to get at least a "Dodge" startup screen just using options already on the unit? Vic -- where do you enter the "1"s -- is there a "Dodge" option?

Go to factory settings in the options section and you have to enter a password. Six numbers, all the same. A screen will open up with different pictures, Dodge is one of them.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it matter which numbers?

You just have to try, startling with zero's. I think mine was 111111 to change the logo. But the OP of this thread had 999999 for his. The system doesn't lock you out for trying so just keep entering a set of numbers an hit enter. If the code is right, the screen will open right away.

Rolling Thunder

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Vic. Tried all numbers and no go. Only two options screened opened (all 0s and all 1s), but none with a logo change option. I guess this is not available on the new version. Oh well, I can live with the few seconds of the Chrysler logo on start up.

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks like there are different versions of this same unit out there. Maybe a base hardware version and different vendors tweak the software package. Installed a week now with no GPS or BT issues. Connects as soon as I turn the unit on. It does have the newer unit stainless steel back and shows the Dodge logo on startup. Am leery of changing the logo, don't want to reinstall the software since everything is connecting and functioning.
Am going to turn the speeding notification off, the GPS will tell me "You are exceeding the speed limit". Gets old after awhile. Other than that well pleased, sound is good and did not have to change the harness pins. They were correct from the factory.
Rainy day in Louisville, changing oil lines and oil today. Previous owner had it changed and they put a standard Mopar filter on. Got a nice Viper filter and Mobil 1 0W40 ready to go.

Rolling Thunder

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vic -- Just went for a pretty long drive and was streaming music via BT. All audio went dead after about 40 minutes (no Radio or BT). Powered off the unit and audio came back on, but BT would disconnect after about a minute and could only listen to radio. Turned off the car at home and back on and everything seemed to work fine again. Is that what you are experiencing? I have a Gen IV also, but I think that I have a different radio than you (I have the one with the RCA jacks on the back).

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic -- Just went for a pretty long drive and was streaming music via BT. All audio went dead after about 40 minutes (no Radio or BT). Powered off the unit and audio came back on, but BT would disconnect after about a minute and could only listen to radio. Turned off the car at home and back on and everything seemed to work fine again. Is that what you are experiencing? I have a Gen IV also, but I think that I have a different radio than you (I have the one with the RCA jacks on the back).

Yes, that's what mine did on Friday. Saturday, we were in the road for about six hour and it worked fine all day. That is when I started picking up the static when using BT. But that only happened a few times. Pull up to a light or a turn, put turn signal on, and you can hear a static sound with each blink of the signal. Today's three hour drive back home and had no issues.

I still think it is great for what it is. I like it 100 times better than my stock RB1.

Randomaccess

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a chance to really use the GPS... I seem to be having an issue with the audio... She starts really LOUD then trails off to very low volume when announcing directions... Anyone else have that issue?

No issue with audio from other sources like radio, Bt streaming, dvd, SD card etc... Just the GPS.

anyone else having this issue?

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today mine startd cutting sound in and out.... then on the way home this evening the sound cut out and would not come back on....... no sound from any source...bluetooth, radio, IPOD, nav.....dead....DEAD..........everything works but no soundy out the speakery thingies........GRRRRRRRRR

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It came back on after I got about half way to work (20 minutes into the drive) then cut off again about 2 minutes later.... ride home tonight....no sound ever........ guess I have some experimenting to do...... just not sure if it's firmware or hardware....... I contacted the seller and he said hadn't had that issue, I needed to check the "sound cables"..... not sure how they could have come loose, but I'll check...... Very disappointed at this point........ I'll play with it this weekend.

Rolling Thunder

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay, I may need to amend my review now that I have had the unit for a week. The audio is cutting in and out and even when on, there is static coming from the back speakers. Just started happening and my connections are fine. Have e-mailed the seller, but no response yet. Quality may be a real issue here. Buyer beware.

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you guys make certain the polarity was proper before connecting?

Sounds terrible, sorry to hear of the bad luck. My "OLD" style head unit still works great on all fronts. It's been 8+ months.

Rolling Thunder

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, the polarity is right. I have the new unit as does Malcoll I believe. I believe Vic has the old style unit, but even he has some experienced some issues. It really ***** because the unit looks so much better than stock and the BT is great (when it works).

Rolling Thunder

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, just torn into this again to see if it was just something loose. Bottom line is I think it is something internal. Every time without fail, the audio fails to come on when powered up. I can get the audio to come off and on when wiggling the jack where it connects to the unit. But once the audio is working, I will turn off the power and back on (being careful not to touch anything on the unit or the wires), and the same thing -- no audio. Put the stock unit back in for now. Very bummed.

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So far no issues, got lucky. Will be at Kingfish next Saturday. Is Cars and Coffee going on that morning too?

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, just torn into this again to see if it was just something loose. Bottom line is I think it is something internal. Every time without fail, the audio fails to come on when powered up. I can get the audio to come off and on when wiggling the jack where it connects to the unit. But once the audio is working, I will turn off the power and back on (being careful not to touch anything on the unit or the wires), and the same thing -- no audio. Put the stock unit back in for now. Very bummed.

Do you think it is a connection at the jack.....possibly the unit could be opened up and repaired? Mine just makes no sound now....... I have not taken it out yet to investigate...maybe this weekend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456