Thread: Anyone owned a Lincoln Aviator?

Reply to Thread
    Enthusiast

Default Anyone owned a Lincoln Aviator?

Looking for a new daily beater and this came up as an option. AWD, decent interior, V8 so I can pull the open trailer when needed without the F250. Seem pretty comfy and reasonably cheap.

Looking for opinions on if they're a nightmare to deal with or a total POS. FYI they're going for $8-12k with 70-90k miles on them. Other recommendations in that price range welcome, but really looking for reviews of the Lincoln.

Viper Owner

Default Re: Anyone owned a Lincoln Aviator?

I don't know much about it, but my sister and her husband have owned an Aviator now since 2008, almost the same time I bought my Viper. Since than, they have had a Mercedes Sedan(forget model number), Dodge Ram and Ford F150 which have all been sold and the Aviator still lives with them. So I'm assuming everything must be positive or else they would have sold it already.

Viper Owner

pretty decent vehicle- very good driver and im not a ford guy, but no a few of them around and have driven and done maintenence on them. i say go for it- if you like them

Viper Owner

My brother has one. I would have one but it's kind of small for my family. Same as a Explorer

Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like it's a toss up between the Aviator and buying a Marauder. Have to find the right car I guess!

Viper Owner

i want a Marauder bad. Just don't want to spend any extra cash right now. Have looked off and on over the pass few years.

Viper Owner

I like the Aviator [ 4.6L modular engine ] it's in par with the Navigator as luxury goes but with better fuel economy. I have an 03 Navigator Ultimate with the Intech 32V DOHC engine that's a lot more complicated to work on and more expensive to maintain.Have 75K on mine without issues though,towing a twin engined 8300 lbs boat/trailer.if I didn't have a boat to tow, the Aviator would be my choice. Wife has an 04 Lincoln LS V8, another great car.I had Cadillacs too but always been a Lincoln man.

Here's my 1964 Linc towing my 1976 boat ,never let me down!

Viper Owner

Nice 1964 you have there.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by lagalaxy13 View Post
    Nice 1964 you have there.
    Thanks, sold the boat and car a while ago.

Enthusiast

I do love the old Lincolns. That car was a classic. Damn expensive in their day too.

Enthusiast

Oh boy. Stuck now.

1) '03 Marauder. 74k Miles, black, early model. No accidents, 2 owner car. $8500. Located 300 miles from my house.

2) '04 Aviator. 76k Miles. Silver, AWD, Sunroof. Clean record as well. $8900. Located 5 miles from my house.

Aviator is probably the smarter daily. I know I'd end up putting an Eaton on the Marauder and having too much fun. But that is exactly why I want the Marauder, I think it'd be a ton of fun. With an Eaton swap they're making 400 to the tire in a full size sedan. Coming from my current Grand Marquis daily, it'd just be an easy transition.

That said, the Aviator has a ton more cargo room, so when I go to the store I don't have to borrow a truck if I need something big. It's already setup to tow, and rated for it no problem. I am somewhat concerned with reliability on the Aviator, but I'm willing to roll the dice.

Wish the Marauder were closer so I could check both out and decide what I wanted.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 351carlo View Post
    Oh boy. Stuck now.

1) '03 Marauder. 74k Miles, black, early model. No accidents, 2 owner car. $8500. Located 300 miles from my house.

2) '04 Aviator. 76k Miles. Silver, AWD, Sunroof. Clean record as well. $8900. Located 5 miles from my house.

Aviator is probably the smarter daily. I know I'd end up putting an Eaton on the Marauder and having too much fun. But that is exactly why I want the Marauder, I think it'd be a ton of fun. With an Eaton swap they're making 400 to the tire in a full size sedan. Coming from my current Grand Marquis daily, it'd just be an easy transition.

That said, the Aviator has a ton more cargo room, so when I go to the store I don't have to borrow a truck if I need something big. It's already setup to tow, and rated for it no problem. I am somewhat concerned with reliability on the Aviator, but I'm willing to roll the dice.

Wish the Marauder were closer so I could check both out and decide what I wanted.
    Respectfully, you should consider a Lincoln Mark VIII. You can get a low mileage one for a fraction of the cost of the Marauder. Same performance and nicer interior. Only two doors, but very well put together. The Mark VIII could cost you around 3k. The difference in cost can pay for any upgrades you want.

Search Lincoln v Cadillac forums.......

Have fun reading...

Plaw

Viper Owner

Lightbulb Re: Anyone owned a Lincoln Aviator?

352Carlo, the Marauder shares the same engine [ 302 HP Mustang Cobra 32V DOHC] with the Aviator.The Marauder is way too big and bulky, just like its predecessor from the 70's.I'd rather choose an 04 or newer LS V8 [ 32V DOHC variable cam, 5 spd manumatic that you can shift,280 HP n/a] that you could add nitrous and blow the doors off of the Marauder.Both the LS and Aviator has heated/cooled seats too. The Mark VIII Patentlaw mentioned is a cool car too with a sportier look with two doors.

The LS is a very underrated vehicle, Ford dropped making them because of the cost of a pretty excotic engine.They did the same with Navigator, switching from the 4 valve DOHC Intech to the cheapo 3 valve Triton. Most people don't know/care what's under the hood anyway, so Ford saved cost, yet selling them for the same price as before!

Wife's car
    Last edited by vancouver-gts; 02-28-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by vancouver-gts View Post
    352Carlo, the Marauder shares the same engine [ 302 HP Mustang Cobra 32V DOHC] with the Aviator.The Marauder is way too big and bulky, just like its predecessor from the 70's.I'd rather choose an 04 or newer LS V8 [ 32V DOHC variable cam, 5 spd manumatic that you can shift,280 HP n/a] that you could add nitrous and blow the doors off of the Marauder.Both the LS and Aviator has heated/cooled seats too. The Mark VIII Patentlaw mentioned is a cool car too with a sportier look with two doors.

The LS is a very underrated vehicle, Ford dropped making them because of the cost of a pretty excotic engine.They did the same with Navigator, switching from the 4 valve DOHC Intech to the cheapo 3 valve Triton. Most people don't know/care what's under the hood anyway, so Ford saved cost, yet selling them for the same price as before!

Wife's car
    I'm a big fan of the LS look. I thought it was a great sedan and Ford really did something right with, especially after that awful 90s Taurus.

Problem is my original requirements, I wanted something that can tow and haul. That Jag 3.9 V8 just isn't something I'm willing to work with. The 4.6L DOHC found in the Marauder and Aviator are a known evil to me, I've built a few of them in my Cobra days, all due to my own desire and not failures. And I kinda have a thing for big and bulky cars.

The Mark VIII is a great car as well, and if it were a few years ago I would've gone with either, but I can't imagine towing with the Mark VIII and I do think it's a bit too dated for me now. But damn there were some quick ones back in my street racing days. High 10 second street cars that you never would've guessed!

Thanks for the opinions though, I appreciate and welcome them.

Viper Owner

We have an 03 aviator and what a pos. 20k worth warranty work in the first 24 months. I could list them all but here are the highlights.
    1. Needed new heads, burned exhaust valve while on long vacation driving trip 2,300 miles
    2. Front and rear a/c replaced
    3. Leaking shocks at 12 k miles
    4. Major steering repair, front rack at 9k miles
    5. Chrome trim piece flew off the luggage rack and hit and damaged a car following behind us.
    6. Rear body panel cracked during cold weather on the right side of the rear window wiper blade. Ford would not cover it under warranty at 23k miles.
    7. Rear wiper motor went out.
    8. Rear wheel bearing went out.
    9. and tonight the final straw, the car stranded my wife at church tonight with the kids. Start the car and move the gear selector and no go.
    Transmission is gone!

This was the first year of this model, looks great, the wife had to have it, but what a turd it has been. It is a bad joke in our family.
    I guess I will do what my dad did with a p.o.s. cadillac he had in the mid 70s. Take it in limping to the dealer, park it cross ways in the service drive, leave the title on the seat and throw the keys on top of the roof of the dealership and let them know you are returning it in front of the other customers!

First 1500.00 bucks takes it!

Viper Owner

I have a 94 Mark.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by VIPER PIT View Post
    We have an 03 aviator and what a pos. 20k worth warranty work in the first 24 months. I could list them all but here are the highlights.
    1. Needed new heads, burned exhaust valve while on long vacation driving trip 2,300 miles
    5. Chrome trim piece flew off the luggage rack and hit and damaged a car following behind us.
    6. Rear body panel cracked during cold weather on the right side of the rear window wiper blade. Ford would not cover it under warranty at 23k miles.
    9. and tonight the final straw, the car stranded my wife at church tonight with the kids. Start the car and move the gear selector and no go.
    Transmission is gone!

This was the first year of this model, looks great, the wife had to have it, but what a turd it has been. It is a bad joke in our family.
    I guess I will do what my dad did with a p.o.s. cadillac he had in the mid 70s. Take it in limping to the dealer, park it cross ways in the service drive, leave the title on the seat and throw the keys on top of the roof of the dealership and let them know you are returning it in front of the other customers!

Ouch. I'm sorry to hear that. I've actually heard so many polarizing posts from people, either no problems or a terrible nightmare that I just don't think I want to risk it. It's a disappointment as it seems like a very nice daily when it isn't broken, but the repair costs of the DOHC motor and the 5 speed auto are just too much to deal with on a used car.

Good luck with whatever happens.

Viper Owner

Carlo, didn't know you had a Grand Marq daily, that is my daily as well. Being said, fgo for the Marauder. I paid considerably more last summer for my 07 GM, and it's a base GS - with now the whole hood peeling paint! Very mechanically sound though. I've always wanted a Marauder as well, but I always thought too pricey. I guess I should have looked harder......

This is my second GM, I had an 01, which now belongs to my ex. Love the Panther cars, just I'm goin to have to do a Maaco on the hood this spring.

Funny, we both have Grand Marq daily drivers, and both have Gen 3 Vipers. Do have and SRT8 Charger as well? Are you my evil twin, LOL!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by swexlin View Post
    Carlo, didn't know you had a Grand Marq daily, that is my daily as well. Being said, fgo for the Marauder. I paid considerably more last summer for my 07 GM, and it's a base GS - with now the whole hood peeling paint! Very mechanically sound though. I've always wanted a Marauder as well, but I always thought too pricey. I guess I should have looked harder......

This is my second GM, I had an 01, which now belongs to my ex. Love the Panther cars, just I'm goin to have to do a Maaco on the hood this spring.

Funny, we both have Grand Marq daily drivers, and both have Gen 3 Vipers. Do have and SRT8 Charger as well? Are you my evil twin, LOL!
    Hahah, nah I have a '70 Mustang and have sold my '03 Cobra and '03 F250 Diesel in the past year. Had to thin out the fleet to pay off some student loans. Looks like the Marauder will be decided by Sunday, have a guy looking at it for me down there. I'm excited.

Viper Owner

Hahah, nah I have a '70 Mustang and have sold my '03 Cobra and '03 F250 Diesel in the past year. Had to thin out the fleet to pay off some student loans. Looks like the Marauder will be decided by Sunday, have a guy looking at it for me down there. I'm excited.
    I traded my 04 Cummins 3500 last summer for the GM (got $$ back!), but if I had know Marauders were so cheap.....I'm still flabbergasted. Good luck, and I'd like to see it if you get it. Hope to meet you at Steve's oil change day tomorrow - it's still on, by the way.

Viper Owner

Quote Originally Posted by VIPER PIT View Post
    Transmission is gone!

did you buy it new? the rear axle is common and also on a town car- headgaskets? exhaust valve? just not a common thing on those engines

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by swexlin View Post
    I traded my 04 Cummins 3500 last summer for the GM (got $$ back!), but if I had know Marauders were so cheap.....I'm still flabbergasted. Good luck, and I'd like to see it if you get it. Hope to meet you at Steve's oil change day tomorrow - it's still on, by the way.
    I'm going to try to make it. With my tonsillectomy the recovery has been longer than I expected. My car is pretty embarrassing right now, it hasn't been washed since December and I just had the windows tinted yesterday so some of the tint moisture still has to dry.

I may take the trip just to say hi for a bit. Depends if I'm on the pain meds. If not I'll be sure to catch up with ya soon, and if I get the Marauder I'll come up and let you take it out if you want to see if the trade would be worth it.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bluesrt View Post
    did you buy it new? the rear axle is common and also on a town car- headgaskets? exhaust valve? just not a common thing on those engines
    I've actually seen head problems quite often in my search. They were also a known issue on the 03/04 Cobras, so much so that the '05 Aviator revised head is highly sought after. The cooling on the back 2 driver's side cylinders is poor at best and causes issues, and the valve guides aren't up to par.

Viper Owner

I've actually seen head problems quite often in my search. They were also a known issue on the 03/04 Cobras, so much so that the '05 Aviator revised head is highly sought after. The cooling on the back 2 driver's side cylinders is poor at best and causes issues, and the valve guides aren't up to par.
    that was for the plug blowing out of the head, and the plug breaking off in the head when trying to remove it--

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bluesrt View Post
    that was for the plug blowing out of the head, and the plug breaking off in the head when trying to remove it--
    That was only one of the reasons. The 9 threads were a big part of it, but the cooling passages being improved greatly were also part of it, and from my understanding a larger part.