What I've learned in my Viper search

//M5Guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've found this forum to be an encyclopedia of knowledge about the Viper. I've been using the forum search feature and like it.
My search continues, however, I've learned:
The cylinder head gaskets might need replacing on Gen 1 Vipers.
The Viper had forged pistons until 1999 and they "might be" more durable.
There's something about '96 "pourous block castings" - can't find out much about that.
Saw a nice one on line but the Car Fax said there was a factory recall on it that hadn't been done. Researching Viper recalls more.
Leno says in his video to be extremely careful with the hood, because they are VERY expensive to replace.
Tall people seem to be pleased with the two inch seat lowering kit.
Drove my first Viper yesterday and still have the smile on my lips this morning....INCREDIBLE!
The owner of a 94 says it's wired from the factory for AC, but the Dodge dealer I called, says they don't make the entire AC unit anymore just certain pieces - I need to talk with another Dodge dealer or two about that.
Owners seem to love the new Michelin PSS tires, universal praise from M5 owners too, even over the geat PS2s.
I haven't totally ruled out a Gen III but would like to stay under 45k.
Is the performance difference that noticeable for a weekender between a Gen 1 and Gen III?
Finally, always get a Pre Purchase Inspection and don't trust CarFax or AutoCheck completely.

Silver04

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was planning on a Gen2 based on a similar price point to what you mentioned above. I ended up in a low miles '04 because prices have dropped below 45 (out-the-door) and it never hurts to get the newest car. Good luck in your search!

pathoguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an 02 gts, before my 06 coupe (stock). The 06 is noticeably faster (acceleration) than the 02. I bought the 06 coupe (local purchase with known history) in November 2010 with 4048 miles for $48500.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It might be doable. Although I think (hope) the days of dirt cheap vipers are past us.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
If you look at a pre-owned Viper...ask your friendly Dodge dealer to run the VIN. Do not expect names or addresses...just car's in-service history, recalls and/or warranty work, mileage data, service records (if any), etc.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you've got $45k....I've got your car.....
http://classifieds.viperclub.org/showproduct.php?product=5565&title=1994-viper-rt-2f10&cat=24

To answer your questions/searchs as they pertain to the car I have for you:
1. Yes - already done
2. Not "might be" they ARE - car has them in there
3. Who knows - doesn't pertain to this car
4. All recals done - I'm sure a good Viper savvy dealer would perform warranties at no charge (I think they legally have to)
5. No more researching vehicles needed - the one you need is listed above
6. I will give you a very detailed operation orientation including closing the hood & they are VERY expensive to replace.
7. With a 2" lowering kit the seat is in a fixed position and my 5'11" selt can barely tippy toe the clutch all the way. The 1" lowering kit still allows the seat to slide.
8. Wait until you drive this one....it will take plastic surgery to remove the smile.
9. True on the A/C - they were dealer installed options only. Good luck finding the parts. Lucky for you this one has ice cold AC already.
10. PSS are the brand new tire on the market, replaced the PS2 - everyone will always love the latest tire made by Michelin. This car has the PS2 tires with 90% left.
11. Gen3's are a completely different car than the Gen1&2. Lots of pros & cons for all. (My Opinion ONLY - I'd rather buy a top quality, high end Gen1 or Gen2 than a questionable Gen 3 simply because it's cheap - doesn't mean its a bad car, just probably a risk you may or may not be willing to take, or the seller was starving and needed to sell it now, you never know)
12. Performance between a Gen 1 & 3 - Yes there is a huge performance difference. This Gen1 will easily out perform 98% of the Gen3's out there. A stock Gen 3 will not even be worth the fuel to prove you can out perform it. The kind of "out performing" that causes the stock Gen 3 to pull off the road and dissappear from sight. But they can at least roll up their windows in shame. In a Gen1 the windows are either on or off (in the trunk). Gen1 owners, should the situation happen in reverse, must bask proudly in our shame as we cannot simply roll up our windows.
13. PPI's are a MUST!!!! This car was worked on by 2 reputable Viper shops, the last 3 years by ART in Buda, TX. They know the car well (inside and out, literally) and can shoot you straight.

This is a no-issue car, period. If you're interrested PM me and we can get on a call. The car can easily be un-modified to suit your driving needs for the cost of a pully and a tune.

2005 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a great thread. I like the info, I own a gen 3 and just bought the seat lowering kit. I don't have it installed yet but I am about 6'1 and do not like the stock height. I don't mind that I can't move the seat as most tall people need the seat all the way back anyhow.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it's worth.....

The cylinder head gaskets might need replacing on Gen 1 Vipers. WILL need replacing if not already done..it's not a matter of "if"..a matter of "when".
The Viper had forged pistons until 1999 and they "might be" more durable. ONLY an issue if supercharging over about 6 pounds boost. Otherwise, the 2000-2002 pistons are fine. In fact, when the 2000s came out they were penalized in Viper Days racing as they were faster than the 1999s and earlier.
There's something about '96 "pourous block castings" - can't find out much about that. Very few and I think these were all corercted.
Saw a nice one on line but the Car Fax said there was a factory recall on it that hadn't been done. Researching Viper recalls more. Probably the 998 or 999 recall for reinforcing rear pumpkin mount area and steering rack.
Leno says in his video to be extremely careful with the hood, because they are VERY expensive to replace. Learn the correct way to shut the hood...NOT the way the video that came with the cars instructs.
The owner of a 94 says it's wired from the factory for AC, but the Dodge dealer I called, says they don't make the entire AC unit anymore just certain pieces - I need to talk with another Dodge dealer or two about that. A/C wasn't a factory option until 1994, but there were kits sold to install in earlier cars and those not factory equipped. It's true that all the parts are not available any longer.