agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
has anyone db tested their exhaust?

stock
modified
no cats
straight pipe

im planning on changing my mopar exhaust for am headers with hennessey exhaust no cats. however just want to see if it will break the 100db level at 3k.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is the measurement process defined? Do they place the meter at the exhaust tip or from a set distance?

OP
OP
A

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RCMP Press release:

Police Tackling Noisy Vehicles

The onset of summer is not always good news for some Lower Mainland residents, who dread the increase in noisy motorcycles and other vehicles on their neighborhood roads.

The North Vancouver RCMP and Port Mann freeway patrol are inviting motorcycle riders and other vehicle owners to attend the parking lot of the Main street off ramp at the Ironworkers Memorial bridge, on June 5th and 6th from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. for free decibel testing of their exhaust systems. This type of testing has never been offered by the police before and will be a unique opportunity for riders and drivers to become more aware of their noise levels. Trained Police officers will determine if the noise levels from the exhaust pipes are illegally loud.

On these days only, drivers will be offered an amnesty (no charges) by the police in North Vancouver. If their vehicle is found to be above the legal decibel limit, the Police will explain how to make the necessary improvements. Only street legal and street safe motorcycles and vehicles will be tested.

- If a motorcycle, car or truck is making more noise than a factory model, it is too loud.
- If after-market pipes have been installed they likely do not have baffles and are not legal.
- Most after market products are not approved mufflers.

Extensive enforcement for noisy vehicles will take place during June to October. Drivers charged under Section 7A.01 of the Motor Vehicle Act - Regulations will pay a fine of $109 and receive three points. If the noise is too excessive, vehicles could be towed and license plates seized, requiring the owner to have the vehicle inspected and then re-licensed.

“I have pulled over many motorcycles over the years and have heard all kinds of explanations,” says Constable Peter Kennedy with the North Vancouver RCMP. “None of them were valid, especially when someone says that the noise is for safety reasons and could save their life. Noisy motorcycles do not save lives, they simply irritate other people enjoying a peaceful day. The general public does not enjoy the noise and have made many requests with the local police agencies and the Mayor’s office for serious enforcement.”

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

“A motor vehicle shall be equipped with an exhaust system which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise.”

“The opinion of an inspector as to whether the engine and exhaust noise is greater than that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, pistondisplacement or compression ratio shall determine whether exhaust gases are expelled with excessive noise.”

OP
OP
A

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
according to SAE (Society of Automotive Engineering) standards. Basically, the cop is supposed to measure the dB level about 0.5 meters, (1.7 feet) away from the exhaust tip, and a 45 degree angle

also they make your rev to 3k. if its around 100db its illegal

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Your testing methods are helpful. I have been thinking about conducting a little research at one our meets this year.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Leave it to our legal system to try and control EVERYTHING. They need to try and control gas prices and insurance rates that are out of control and not spend all this useless time and OUR money on trying to keep the db levels down.

FastZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That law doesn't apply to human emissions does it? Many of those need to be "cooled and expelled without excessive noise" among other things....

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya but i live in vancouver. cops roam around with db testers
You got to be kidding. I hope they also have a meter for the cars stopped at a light with Rap or some other raunchy music turned up super loud and of course always with the windows down so they can force others to hear their junk.

OP
OP
A

agdetail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
during winter month its what the cop thinks.

had redlined my viper with mopar exhaust past 2 cops and they gave me a thumbs up. guess its not loud enough :D

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beautiful car but why the rear exit instead of side exit as it s almost a perfect Oreca replica?
I would love to go side pipes but I dont have the budget for a second set of side sills, I don't want to cut into my originals, I have considered getting some fibreglass ones but am waiting for the maker to get back to me with a price, I have also asked him if he could make me the front bumper with the correct size extra driving lights and the plexiglass covers, But as well as all of this going on, Im worried about my engine :( I was burning a hell of a lot of oil last season and in that Video you can clearly see a blue plume every now and again :( If the engine has to be pulled apart, i just dont know what I would do with the car, I would probably have to lay the car up for a year to save up the cash for the work :( Ive been in this position before with my old Cobra replica, the car cost me thousands, and since my work situation changed Im worried it may be a serious set back. Im going to try and change the valve guide oil seals to see if that works but if the problem is lower down in the engine, then Im out of my depth :( I wish I lived near Chuck Tator!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper