Please Critique This '96 B&W For Me!

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just sold my '08 SSG. The new owner picks it up on Monday. And while the Gen IV was fun, now I am looking to pick up a B&W Gen 2...the car I truly dreamed about when I was younger.

I've got my eye on one and the seller sent me about 60 pictures today. I'd greatly appreciate it if you would take a look at these pictures and let me know of any obvious issues that you see? The car has about 9K miles on it and seems pretty clean inside and out. I don't think there have been any modifications either. I think there were 3 previous owners and the Carfax shows no record of damage or repair.

Here's the link to the pics on photobucket:

http://s1003.photobucket.com/albums/af158/bdelass/

A few things I've noticed and am inquiring to the seller about are:

1. There seems to be screw missing on top frontside of the passenger side sill. Also, there appears to be what I assume is a water spot/bubble there, but from the picture it almost looks like a pop rivet. I know the paint sometimes bubbles in this area, so I am requesting a new picture.

2. I can't tell if there is damage to the front part of the passenger side door jam. I'm requesting a new picture of this too.

3. I assume those are the original tires? And while they may be dried out at this point, the wear pattern looks good to me?

4. I don't see that the steering differential frame repair recall was ever addressed on the CarFax report. I had to have this done on my old red '97 GTS, but took it to Roanoke. Is there anyone here locally in the St. Louis area who is truly qualified to do this?

Please add to this list if you see anything else!

Thanks so much!

Barry

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not too shaby, I bought my B/W 97 GTS w/ 9,000 miles too. The tires are newer they are the PS2's not originals typical gas cap ozidation. Go for it nothin like owning your child hood dream car.

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks! It seems like a good one, but I have sent a few questions back to the seller for clarification. I can't quite tell what I am seeing in a few of the pics.

Any comments here would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
mopar: $46,500 but I am hoping to get the price closer to $40K, especially if any of the areas above are actual defects / flaws.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to tell you I'm amazed that you would go back to a Gen 2 after a Gen 4.
It has to be strictly for the looks?

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, for looks as well as for the fact that the 96-97 Blue & White GTS is the car I have really always wanted to own. I guess I'd call it making good on a childhood dream. Don't get me wrong, the Gen IV was an awesome car, but it was never really "my" dream car. When the dealer here locally got the SSG '08 in and it was more of an impulse buy than anything. Likewise, I had a red '97 GTS previously but it should have been B&W.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barry
I understand completely it's the quintessential GTS..
I bought a red '98 GTS before I knew jack about Vipers just on impulse and regretted not getting a BW from the first time I laid eyes on one.
And when the opportunity came I got one from a collector with 8K on it.
But it's been moved aside because my Gen 4 is just too much fun to drive.
Was thinking of selling it to someone who would use it more than I.
Keep in touch if this deal doesn't work out.

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Rev.

That's the kind of thing I wanted to people to spot for me! :)

Thanks!

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a 9k mile car I think it needs a little more TLC.... mine has almost 11k and nothing close to all those minor signs of wear....

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The seller just sent me a close-up picture of the areas I requested. Everything looks pretty good to me except this.

It's been a while since I had my other GTS, but there isn't usually a rivot in this location is there? I'm going to see if I can get a pic of the other side too?

Attachments

• sidesillrivot.jpg
    sidesillrivot.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 118
OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the input GTLaser. The updated pictures that the seller sent show no wear on the seat's side bolster. The scratches on the front fascia are not visible if you are standing in front of the car. It seems like the only issue might be the side sills unless I am missing something.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the age of the car I think it looks pretty good. Definitely needs some tlc and a good thorough detailing. I say go for it if the price is right for you.

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 1st picture shows some blistering of the rocker,The 2nd picture of the body inside the door ,the corner is busted out, it should connect and be smooth,I would want to see if the door has damage to.(they probably shut the door and something was there . the chin spoiler is common where it has scrapes,almost all do. it looks nice overall. The door damage would bother me . good luck

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Red & Max! I'm trying go get more info on the door and side sill. Any thoughts on that rivot? Other than that, I'm ok with the minor imperfections. And I'm certainly not afraid of a fun weekend of detailing and tlc in the garage! :)

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else. Looks like normal wear overall, but the door issue should be addressed. Also make sure you check under the car before purchase, and make sure the amber LED door lights go off after 30 seconds and alarm is functioning correctly.

Burt G

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barry,

This B/W shows pride in previous ownership over the past 16yrs, now just make sure it "drives" as well as it looks and you may have your dream car back in your garage real soon.

Best of luck with your decision!
Burt

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a 9k mile car I think it needs a little more TLC.... mine has almost 11k and nothing close to all those minor signs of wear....

I agree. If I were buying, I would have to see it in person....or at least have another member close by check it out for me.

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The seller just sent me a close-up picture of the areas I requested. Everything looks pretty good to me except this.

It's been a while since I had my other GTS, but there isn't usually a rivot in this location is there? I'm going to see if I can get a pic of the other side too?

I do NOT have any sort of painted rivet in this location on my sills. But, I wouldnt think it's a deal breaker. I would just wonder why it was put there? Doesnt look like any sort or damage around the rivet point. No car will be PERFECT, but maybe this one is perfect for you! I love my '96 and am living my dream every day when I open that garage door.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nothing here is a deal breaker IMO. Get your dream car at your price...then, upgrade those wheels! :)

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks again and keep the posts coming.

I like the fact that the tires have been upgraded and appear in good shape all the way around. The door/side sill issue is a little worry some, but from 10 feet and under the showroom lights it sure looks good. I just don't want to be missing something more serious here...

Is hoping to get this car for $40K-ish reasonable?

Thanks!

Barry

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get those small things fixed easy. The car looks good so don't let the small things hold you back.
I Agree, Barry I think its going to come down between you & the seller (as who's the better negotiator) He's trying to get top dollar for it & you're pretty knowledgeable about Vipers & know what you think it's only worth. I can't imagine him coming 6k dollars off of it though (but stick to your guns if that's what you really think it's worth) but don't let the lil' minor things stand in your way. But it is a very nice looking car. jmo

slitherv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! It seems like a good one, but I have sent a few questions back to the seller for clarification. I can't quite tell what I am seeing in a few of the pics.

Any comments here would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

My opinion, and this is just my .02 cents, I would not be spending that kind of money on a car that needs that much attention. It looks like the other owner(s) did not look after this car much. Gas tank pits and discolor inside. The sill issue, Paint flaws, especialy the door jam thing. Rivets?!!...Hmmm .Sure the paint looks good from far but, does it look good up close. Either way, for a 9k car, it has too many small flaws for me. These I believe are a very collectable car right now and will def be a 6 figure car in the future (Barrett Jackson quote). I have seen some on ebay and the like being sold for as much if not less in better condition. Once you address all the problems, considering they are not big ones, you have to keep in mind the value of the car once all the touch ups and what not is done to it. Spend all that money on fixing this one up, on one that is clean. Too many stories for the next owner to think through.

If your asking what WE all think ,then, I think you already got your answer.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks again and keep the posts coming.

I like the fact that the tires have been upgraded and appear in good shape all the way around. The door/side sill issue is a little worry some, but from 10 feet and under the showroom lights it sure looks good. I just don't want to be missing something more serious here...

Is hoping to get this car for $40K-ish reasonable?

Thanks!

Barry

ive seen cleaner, slightly less mileaged cars, same year go for 40k. if it was my money, and i know its not, i wouldnt pay more than 37k.
jmo.

EDIT. after looking at ALL the pics i will agree the car seems really clean overall. that stuff going on inside the door jambs or whar bother me.
dont pay a dime over 40k if everything checks out.
good luck!

Last edited:

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Barry
I understand completely it's the quintessential GTS..
I bought a red '98 GTS before I knew jack about Vipers just on impulse and regretted not getting a BW from the first time I laid eyes on one.
And when the opportunity came I got one from a collector with 8K on it.
But it's been moved aside because my Gen 4 is just too much fun to drive.
Was thinking of selling it to someone who would use it more than I.
Keep in touch if this deal doesn't work out.

IF your GTS is bonestock then I can understand where you're coming from..

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have to tell you I'm amazed that you would go back to a Gen 2 after a Gen 4.
It has to be strictly for the looks?

my last car was a gen 4. owned 2 gen 3's prior.
never driven a gen 2 before owning one. ill admit i sold my gen 4 because i needed the money, but i LOVE driving my gen 2 more than the gen 3 and 4.
not "as good" of a car, not as fast, but to me i enjoy driving it more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger